Swimmin pool big enough to swin?

Resting!!

laps are generally impossible. the only time the pools are empty of people is very early or late when they net off them for cleaning.

they also do not have any lanes per se or even a section roped off for laps.

most people will congregate and hang out in clumps.

even if they are large enough, in my experience you have a lot of your fellow cruisers in there with you, making actual swimming difficult. More like standing around in the water.

Thanks. It looks like you've been on a good number of ships - could you hint which ones have a pool which might be 15m or more in length, please?

If you are a serious swimmer, most pools on cruise ships allow for a wall push-off, two or three strokes at best and then a flip turn, push-off and two or three strokes before doing it all again. I usually swim in the ocean when I can while on a cruise.

It's tough to swim laps in pools on a ship due to their size and other passengers who are just floating around, lounging. You might get some lapsdone if you swim early or late, but you'll be doing a lot of turning.

There are also some ships that have 'swim against the current' type pools, although I'd have to do some research to figure out which ones. I've seen them on several ships.

Thanks. It looks like you've been on a good number of ships - could you hint which ones have a pool which might be 15m or more in length, please?

I don't believe any ship will have a pool that long.

Plus, as everyone has said, even if you did have it that long, you will be dodging people.

Now, some ships have a swim against the current pool, which provides a current for you to swim against.

You won't be able to "swim laps" on any pool that I've ever seen on a ship....pools are not THAT big! And, unless you are in the pool at 6am, there will be too many people....you can barely find a place to stand and get wet in the pools!

All the "big" ships have pools in which you can swim, I would say at least 10 strokes each way. Bigger the ship, longer the pool I suppose.

The biggest ship we have sailed on was the NCL Epic. It had the smallest pools of any ship we have ever sailed (9 cruises so far).

My DW does try to swim her (short) laps. She does it by going to the pools very early in the morning. She has mostly been successful at that.

zero. zip. zilch. nada.

in other words, there are NO cruise ships with pools that long.

if you want laps you are not gonna get them under any circumstances on board any cruise ship. DH is a swimmer ( daily) and he took one look and said no way, no how.

Swimming pools on ships are usually located on the top of the ship - the best location for you and the worst location for the ship.

Even a small pool holds between 80 and 100 tons of water.

That much weight can have serious effects on the stability of a ship - especially in heavy seas.

Many ships today have several pools on the top decks - further compromising stability.

When a ship starts rolling, and several hundred tons of water start moving up top, it is very difficult to counter all that kinetic energy and keep the ship upright.

You should be happy the pools are not large enough to swim laps.

We have been on more then 65 different ships and do not think we have ever seen any ship pool that was 15m long. Many of the newer ships actually have made their pools shorter in order to have 2 pools amidships. As others have said, swimming laps can be very difficult because of other passengers (especially kids) in the pool. On some ships we have seen lap swimmers use the pool very early in the morning (before 8am) so they can beat the masses. But swimming laps often means taking no more then 6-8 strokes and then having to turn.

Hank

I don't believe any ship will have a pool that long.

Plus, as everyone has said, even if you did have it that long, you will be dodging people.

Now, some ships have a swim against the current pool, which provides a current for you to swim against.

P&O's Ventura forward, adult pool has a current which can be turned on, to swim against- I presume it's the same on Azura.