Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

Exactly.

The Miami Herald article quotes Naquanda Lyons as saying "I can only assume someone accidentally bumped her over the railing." That does not sound like an eyewitness account of what exactly happened. She may have witnessed her on her tippy toes and she may have witnessed the aftermath but it certainly doesn't sound like she actually saw her go over the railing.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

NO, assumptions don't make for eyewitness accounts.

If you scroll through to October 14th where she has a picture of the scene, her account is in the comments. Not sure she is looking for her 15 minutes of fame. She witnessed it and is telling her account. If I witnessed it I would want the family to know what I saw to help. And looking at the picture from the previous poster, if the little girl was standing on that lower silver portion and on her tippy toes she very well could have been leaning over the rail and top heavy. I am praying that this was all captured on camera and the mother can get answers. Screw what the Uncle is saying. The mother was grieving in the hospital when he made the comment and for all we know she could care less about getting legal council other than to get the tapes to see what happened to her baby. If legal council is what it takes to get things moving along and find out if this is in fact what happened then I would sure be getting legal council too. I wouldn't say my little ones would NEVER do something like that or there is no way I would ever take my eyes off my children because we are not perfect. I would like to think I am a stellar parent. But accidents happen and this one just rips my heart out.

I am an adult 5' 7" tall. No where near the height of that little girl. When I stand at those railings it hits me at my armpits. If I were on my tip toes I could never lean far enough to go over that rail. That child had to have climbed up on something more that the built up ledge at the floor. I hope Carnival has videos but I doubt they do. I found out the hard way that banks don't always have film in their cameras so why would a cruise line?

Say a prayer tonight for the child and her family.

I am an adult 5' 7" tall. No where near the height of that little girl. When I stand at those railings it hits me at my armpits. If I were on my tip toes I could never lean far enough to go over that rail. That child had to have climbed up on something more that the built up ledge at the floor. I hope Carnival has videos but I doubt they do. I found out the hard way that banks don't always have film in their cameras so why would a cruise line?

Say a prayer tonight for the child and her family.

I was an auditor for a large regional bank once upon a time. Only about 1/4 of their ATMs actually recorded anything. The cameras were rotated from time to time but still pretty useless. This was back in VHS days, though, and the technology has changed a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if they had 24/7 shots of the common areas.

If you search Naquanda Lyons on Facebook she was standing in the same area as the little girl and her family and gives her account of what she saw. It does sound as though she was leaning on the rail and then was bumped.

Why then did this person not speak up and say they saw someone bump her. ?

Yeah if she has not already been contacted by the police I'm sure they'd like to talk to her. She should call Miami PD.

Making false statements to the police is a crime. Making them on Facebook or to the media in search of a little payday and some notoriety isn't - though maybe it should be.

We don't know if she has or hasn't been contacted by the police. If she spoke to the media then more than likely she has spoken with them. Did someone read somewhere that she hasn't contacted the police or the police have not reached out to her? Why are some of you assuming. A little one has lost her life and we all have questions as to how this happened so that hopefully accidents like this can be prevented. Yes, maybe mom was not paying attention but maybe she was and the events unfolded rather quickly. We just don't know because we were not there. Once again a little angel has lost her life. A precious soul is no longer on this earth and we need to be more sensitive to those who are hurting and are trying to find answers. Whether it is the Uncle making profit seeking comments, cruisecritic members curious as to how this happened to protect their own, or the most important one of all a grieving heartbroken mother. May God Bless her family and friends who are all suffering right now.

We don't know if she has or hasn't been contacted by the police. If she spoke to the media then more than likely she has spoken with them. Did someone read somewhere that she hasn't contacted the police or the police have not reached out to her? Why are some of you assuming. A little one has lost her life and we all have questions as to how this happened so that hopefully accidents like this can be prevented. Yes, maybe mom was not paying attention but maybe she was and the events unfolded rather quickly. We just don't know because we were not there. Once again a little angel has lost her life. A precious soul is no longer on this earth and we need to be more sensitive to those who are hurting and are trying to find answers. Whether it is the Uncle making profit seeking comments, cruisecritic members curious as to how this happened to protect their own, or the most important one of all a grieving heartbroken mother. May God Bless her family and friends who are all suffering right now.

Her comment to one of the papers, Hearld?

She said she assumed someone pushed her. Big difference from her post on facebook.

Her comment to one of the papers, Hearld?

She said she assumed someone pushed her. Big difference from her post on facebook.

I am not speaking on her assumption of how the accident happened. I am speaking on some on this board assuming she hasn't spoken to the police. I want to know if it was written somewhere that she has not spoken to the police. There are some speaking on here as though they saw somewhere that she has not spoken to the police and is looking for 15 minutes of fame because she has spoken to the media and not the police. Where does it say she has not spoken to the police. Why are some people trying to discredit someone who is only trying to describe her account of what she saw. She is trying to help this family get answers. What is so wrong with that?

This is such a tragic story. I was on the Glory the week before this happened and I believe there are some tables and chairs across from the shops at the rails - (I think) when I saw them I actually thought to myself - that is a weird place for those but I could easily see a kid stepping up on the chairs and leaning over. Actually I could see an adult doing this as well especially when they are doing stuff at the lobby bar - for example when Dustin is doing his trivia in the evening. They probably have already removed them. - I hope so at least.

In regards to the family - the person that said they were taking legal action was a great uncle - I don't think we even know how close he is to the family - you know things like this brings out the strange in people.

Blaming the mother for being on her cell phone is just judgemental. Unless you witnessed this horrible event - don't judge - there are many parents that have taken their eye off their child for a millisecond and lived to regret it. Pretty sure none of us are perfect parents.

And for the person who said put a leash on the child - are you freaking for real? I couldn't believe the statement ok well maybe a disabled child - all I can say is that obviously you have never had any time with a disabled child.

Ok rant over.

Bless this family and that poor child may she rest in peace.

The only tables and chairs on deck 5 in the atrium are in front of the sports bar, kitty-corner opposite from where she fell. The area in her corner is more narrow, and would be where the shops crowd their tables of 'sale' merchandise. EM

After reading all the news reports on this tragic story, reading the opinions of the posters on this thread, and remembering my experiences while cruising with youngsters my hypothesis is: The child was forced out of the elevator or couldn't get on the elevator because of crowding so separated from the rest of the family. She ran to the glass rail, climbing as high as she could looking for her family both below and decks above, she lost her balance and fell to her death. Very sad, tragic accident.

This what I have been thinking. Perhaps she was in a panic and thinking even less clearly than an 8 year old might under less stressful circumstances.

So sad for this family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t recall seeing this posted earlier. Here is an article posted on the Miami Herald sight this morning. A few more details.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article179242701.html

No way. Article says kid was standing on tippy toes when she was bumped. No way could an 8 year old on tippy toes get bumped over the railing. No. Way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I think we need to know to prevent it happening again.

I've never been on Facebook but when I read quotes from someone that include "I guess" and "I assume" I get a little skeptical about whether or not they saw anything. Hence, the 15 minutes of fame idea.

And why did she say "I assume she got bumped", instead of "I assume she lost her balance and fell". What did she ACTUALLY see.

Once she said "I assume", she's no longer a credible witness.

. The fact is if the mother had been supervising her daughter, this terrible accident could have been avoided.

Judy

Neither am I meaning to sound cold. I feel for the parents and all involved in this tragic accident. I do understand the possibility of a parent and child separating accidently in a split second. In any crowded environment I have always tried my best to keep my children at arms length. If anything would have happened to them I would have felt at fault and probably carried that guilt with me a very long time.

To this day, when we cruise as a family, and my 29 and 26 year old dd's look over ANY balcony railing at the sea, or to see what is going on below, I grab a handful of their shirts in the back "just in case." Old habit that began when we began cruising with them when they were 4/7. I get the "Mommmmm" phrase and stare, but I don't care.

Just saying....

When my kids were young my husband would hold my sons hand and I held my daughters hand upon debarkation, too many people are trying to get off the ship and pushing and shoving one another and anything can happen. I also scared my kids from the beginning of cruising, never go next to that rail, you can get close to look but warned them somebody can take them and throw them over and when they were older such as teens when I allowed them to go up to the railings, I told them keep one of their legs back and just have one forward so if somebody were to push them they can put their body weight away from the rail and not go over....I really did a number on them lol...such as told them when they were older to roam the ship if there are any bells and sirens going off, do not use the elevator they get stuck and go right up to their muster station.....things like that, but it was not to scare them it was to put knowledge in them that these things can happen...I even told them never to play around with the elevators because doing so you get stuck. You may say I am too much, but I rather be too much and too careful than having something happen. Us Parents have the most difficult job in the world but the most rewarding too.

Leash a child with a disability? Barbaric. Never!

If it would even remotely have any possibility of saving their live ..... I wouldn’t hesitate!!! Some children with disabilities have NO SENSE of danger and also can be stronger than the average child muscle wise and determination wise. These children will and can walk/run/break free and dash into traffic, jump in a pool, climb a ledge and actually want you to chase them thinking it is a game or play activity. They would benefit from any all remedies to keep these sweet angels of just seeing life as free, safe from harm. Walk in the parents shoes who live these fears on the daily. You were blessed to not have these concerns and shouldn’t be so judgmental. God Bless you [emoji1374][emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it would even remotely have any possibility of saving their live ..... I wouldn’t hesitate!!! Some children with disabilities have NO SENSE of danger and also can be stronger than the average child muscle wise and determination wise. These children will and can walk/run/break free and dash into traffic, jump in a pool, climb a ledge and actually want you to chase them thinking it is a game or play activity. They would benefit from any all remedies to keep these sweet angels of just seeing life as free, safe from harm. Walk in the parents shoes who live these fears on the daily. You were blessed to not have these concerns and shouldn’t be so judgmental. God Bless you [emoji1374][emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some children with significant disabilities are tethered to a service dog to minimize elopement. Who is 'leashed to who" doesn't really matter, safety is what matters and this absolutely can keep a child safe.