Will PRINCESS change their loyalty program?

KruzPrincess

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4859

I just read the article about how news of a new Carnival loyalty program has been leaked. It's much diluted. RCI changed their loyalty program not long ago and people weren't so happy. Do you think Princess will follow suit? I know we've talked about it before, but it seems like another Carnival Cruise Corp. cruise line doing this seems like it's hitting closer to home. Carnival will have 5 categories if the leaked info is correct. Also it goes by days only instead of total cruises. Do you think it's time?

If they change it, they should go by days IMO!

Agree. Starting in 2013 there will be all kinds of 3-4 days cruises. It will get real easy to attain Platinum and Elite Status. Princess needs to revise the levels and maybe add a 4th tier all based on days cruised.

Number of days should definitely be the main criteria. There are folks on the west coast who take a bunch of 1 and 2 days cruises just to attain elite status after less than 25 or 30 days. I've seen a couple of posts lately where folks brag that they are taking 1 and 2 day cruises just to get to platinum and elite status. Personally I think Princessshould limit the status to days, say 125 or 150, it would be better. Just my humble opinion.

Number of days should definitely be the main criteria. There are folks on the west coast who take a bunch of 1 and 2 days cruises just to attain elite status after less than 25 or 30 days. I've seen a couple of posts lately where folks brag that they are taking 1 and 2 day cruises just to get to platinum and elite status. Personally I think Princess should limit the status to days, say 125 or 150, it would be better. Just my humble opinion.

i agree that days only should count, not cruises

The real question, what is the purpose of a loyalty program?

I would suggest that the main goal is to get repeat customers to return to a specific company. And a small number of passengers will take a short cruise to build up points (in the airline frequent flier world, these are called mileage runs), thereby spending money they would not otherwise have spent with the company.

Either way, the company wins... They either "steal" business from a rival company or generate additional business.

Of course, the cost of the perks cannot outweigh the benefit of the business generated.

So.... Does this program do that, or does it need to change?

This is just my opinion with no basis in fact, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few changes to the Captains Circle program in response to the additional short cruises and the ever-higher number of days that the most traveled Princess passengers have:

1.) a move to counting only days (not cruises) to achieve the various levels. I suspect passengers would be eligible for the level achieved as of a certain date regardless of how achieved and that advancement to a higher level would be based only on days.

2.) a super Elite status of at least 500 (possibly 750) days would be implemented. Additional benefits might be complimentary specialty dining, savings in wine purchases or Sabatinis breakfasts.

3.) benefits will be cut across the board. I can see laundry and dry cleaning becoming limited and minibar cutbacks.

I just don't see things continuing as they are given the increasing number of Elite passengers and the fact that there are sometimes multiple passengers with 1000+ days on board Princess cruises. I also believe that Princess really isn't all that fond of its Elite passengers, as we are frequently the ones who spend less on board, know all the tricks to save money and stay in inside cabins. If they could fill their ships with lesser-traveled cruisers, they would disincent us in a heartbeat. But, they can't, so they don't. But I certainly don't feel secure that things are going to get better or even stay the same. These ARE the good old days.

I can't worry about what others get. I am happy with the benefits I get and I have 22 cruises and about 400 days. It does not affect me if someone had 15 two day cruises to qualify for Elite.

What if all of a sudden Princess looks at their bottom line and notices that the number of Elites has doubled (due to 3 and 4 day cruises) and they can no longer provide the same benefits, thus they then decrease the benefits for everyone at that level. Would you care then? Maybe not. Just a thought.

We did a great deal of investigation of loyalty programs when we first started cruising, and even took test cruises on several cruise lines.

We chose Princess and pretty much stick with Princess these days because of all the benefits. If they start cutting benefits, we will start looking around, but for now, we are pretty darned loyal.

I can't worry about what others get. I am happy with the benefits I get and I have 22 cruises and about 400 days. It does not affect me if someone had 15 two day cruises to qualify for Elite.

That's pretty much my feelings also...

Very few things others do on a cruise affect me

Srpilo

. I also believe that Princess really isn't all that fond of its Elite passengers, as we are frequently the ones who spend less on board, know all the tricks to save money and stay in inside cabins. .

I think quite the opposite. I only sail in a mini suite, the seasoned travelers l know would NEVER take an inside cabin. I always get a coke sticker even though as an elite i have cokes in the mini bar which are complimentary. The only area I probably don't give Princess the revenue they want is at the bars because i don't drink hard liquor but I order a bottle of wine at dinner.

As others have stated, I would like to see status based solely on number of days with, perhaps, double days for solos and fully paid suites (as now, no double for upsells and upgrades) ... mostly because in our couple of Princess cruises we also have encountered people who take the 1- and 2-days sailings to reach status. Seems more like entitlement than loyalty.

Well, and if Princess were to move to a days-only count for status ... what would happen to those currently Elite or Platinum by virtue of taking many very short sailings? Downgraded or grandfathered?

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, I just might book a couple "short" cruises to finally get my Elite status. Thanks OP. You just gave me a great idea.:D

I think quite the opposite. I only sail in a mini suite, the seasoned travelers l know would NEVER take an inside cabin. I always get a coke sticker even though as an elite i have cokes in the mini bar which are complimentary. The only area I probably don't give Princess the revenue they want is at the bars because i don't drink hard liquor but I order a bottle of wine at dinner.

Every 1000+ nights cruiser we met last winter on the Emerald (and we met quite a few) were in inside cabins. Several had booked very last minute in guarantees. We book insides, but generally pay more to lock in the same cabin over several cruises (as opposed to waiting until closer to the cruise and booking a GTY). We, too, purchase soda stickers and UKP, we purchase EZ Check, occasional drinks and bottles of wine, but we haven't purchased photos or spa treatments in years. I really don't think much about it until I read reviews on CC of people who get minisuites, do the Chefs Table and UBD AND UBB, take the Behind the Scenes tour, book the Sanctuary, buy $200 of photos and the cruise DVD, go to the spa, take lots of Princess excursions. People cruising 150 nights each year don't do many, if any of these things.

The morning of the 10-night Christmas cruise on the Emerald, I opened our cabin door and took our statement from our mail slot, opened it to the end and nearly fainted. A quick glance at the top of the page showed that it was our neighbors', incorrectly delivered, not ours, but I was looking at 8 pages of charges totalling over $4000. I placed it in the correct mail slot and looked next door for our statement. It was there, two half-pages of autotips, soda stickers and a few drinks. I think Princess liked the on board revenue from our neighbors a bit better.

Number of days should definitely be the main criteria. There are folks on the west coast who take a bunch of 1 and 2 days cruises just to attain elite status after less than 25 or 30 days. I've seen a couple of posts lately where folks brag that they are taking 1 and 2 day cruises just to get to platinum and elite status. Personally I think Princessshould limit the status to days, say 125 or 150, it would be better. Just my humble opinion.

If someone is willing to pay $80 for a one day cruise just so they can get free laundry service, a bar set up, and 10% off in the shops God bless them. For me it wouldn't be worth the time it would take to embark and disembark and then there is the cost to travel back home. Someone has to sail these short reposition cruises. Sometimes a 4 day cruise can cost just a much as a 7 day cruise. I have been on 7 day cruises that have cost me only $65 a day.

If someone is willing to pay $80 for a one day cruise just so they can get free laundry service, a bar set up, and 10% off in the shops God bless them. For me it wouldn't be worth the time it would take to embark and disembark and then there is the cost to travel back home. Someone has to sail these short reposition cruises. Sometimes a 4 day cruise can cost just a much as a 7 day cruise. I have been on 7 day cruises that have cost me only $65 a day.

I completely agree. We have the 1 day cruises pretty accessible yet have never taken one, they're a PITA and the 3 day coastals can be as much as a 7 day inside on a Caribbean cruise. Princess needs to fill those coastals, they need to come with some benefits.

What if all of a sudden Princess looks at their bottom line and notices that the number of Elites has doubled (due to 3 and 4 day cruises) and they can no longer provide the same benefits, thus they then decrease the benefits for everyone at that level. Would you care then? Maybe not. Just a thought.
This is what concerns me. The more Platinum/Elite (however they achieve the status), which there will be with the new short cruises, the greater the chance changes have to happen. I think the only thing fair going forward is by number of days.

I very much agree with you Paul. I posted on one of the other threads on this very subject, a few weeks back. I am still puzzled why there is such animosity by those who are already Elite towards someone who gains this stature by sailing as a solo, or booking a suite or taking shorter cruises!! It makes it sound like a caste system and those who don't earn it the 'old fashioned way' are somehow "lesser than". What does it take away from your status if someone is Platinum or Elite?

I'm sure some things will change, at some point. As we all know, there have been cutbacks by cruise lines in an effort to keep fares low. Heck, I just saw a 7-day Alaska cruise for $299.00. And we all know what the airlines are doing to keep their fares low. It costs me more for luggage, seat selection and fuel charges than for my airfare! Now they want up to $100. for a carry on?

But I still don't understand how someone else being Platinum or Elite hurts the status of those who have already attained these levels.:confused: Very elitist.

P&O have also changed their loyalty program this year,. Cruises taken on Princess will no longer count toward the P&O loyalty program. Perhaps Princess will stop counting P&O nights, this will definitely reduce the number of Captains Circle members at higher levels, I have met many people on their first Princess cruises who are Platinum and a few who are Elite, my sister has taken one 7 day cruise on Princess but is Elite because of her P&O cruises.

Examples of the necessary days needed on P&O now are :

Priority check-in and embarkation is not until 200 days, cocktail party not until 100 days on board, 50% discount on machine washable laundry items after 250 days on board. The details can be found on the P&O site but in my opinion the program has definitely been diluted.

Archived