You can close that balcony door now!

Greyhound3

For those who like to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean, there's a new remedy to the age-old problem of leaving that balcony door open and messing up the cabin temps in the entire section.

On the Grand (not sure about any other ships), if you tune to channel 47 on the TV, you get a soundtrack of waves rolling into a shore. The TV screen remains dark, so it won't affect those who prefer a dark cabin for sleeping.

We found this by accident while flipping through the channels and used it every night - great for dozing off after a hard day of cruising! :cool:

Grey

Until those sound effects are enhanced by the scent of the sea air being piped in from outside, I still like to have the balcony door open!

That was my first thought, too! :D

Sounds a bit like having a "fire" on your TV screen. Looks nice but...

Thanks for the info though. I'm sure there will be many who appreciate it. Especially those without a balcony! :)

And we wonder why so many people complain the A/C in their staterooms doesn't work right. They write bad reviews and call the engineering staff over and over again. All the while it's the neighbors sleeping with their balcony doors open.

Just sayin' :evilsmile:

Hearing water, of any kind, would keep me up and going to the bathroom all night. ;p

BTW, I tried sleeping with the door open one evening and found all the bedding feeling a bit damp the next morning. Does that not happen to others? This was BEFORE I found out that keeping the door open affects others in your cabin area from receiving adequate A/C in their rooms. I wouldn't feel right doing that again, of course, except for the Regal and Royal where it isn't affected.

Hearing water, of any kind, would keep me up and going to the bathroom all night. ;p

BTW, I tried sleeping with the door open one evening and found all the bedding feeling a bit damp the next morning. Does that not happen to others?

Were you above or below the water linen? :halo:

The Royal Class ships dont have a separate AC system for each cabin. Leaving the doors open still affects others.

I took the Ultimate Ship tour on the Regal last week and the Head Engineer of the ship said that on the Regal and Royal each cabin has their own separate AC unit located above the ceiling,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

and they are the experts and not the ship architects... ok

I took the Ultimate Ship tour on the Regal last week and the Head Engineer of the ship said that on the Regal and Royal each cabin has their own separate AC unit located above the ceiling,

ok.

The ships should just have an electrical shut off for the a/c when the door is open. If the door is open for more than a few minutes the a/c should be shut off. I have been told from Staff Engineers that when the balcony doors are left open this drains the cool air so the crew will then suffer with less a/c . The passengers in the public area must have proper temps and the doors being left open put an enormous burden of temp control so the crew decks get less a/c or no a/c and they have to sleep with he cabin doors open for any slight breeze. I wish all the a/c units shut off when the door is open and left open more than a few minutes

BTW, I tried sleeping with the door open one evening and found all the bedding feeling a bit damp the next morning. Does that not happen to others? This was BEFORE I found out that keeping the door open affects others in your cabin area from receiving adequate A/C in their rooms. I wouldn't feel right doing that again, of course, except for the Regal and Royal where it isn't affected.

I also tried sleeping with the door open one night and found that the humidity from the outside air had disintegrated the medication I leave out on my nightstand to take first thing when I wake up. The little pill completely crumbled apart when tried to pick it up, and the room felt quite damp. This was on my earliest cruise, and I haven't done it since then.

I don't understand why folks would want to sleep without the comfort of air conditioning. I would be way too hot and uncomfortable if I slept with the balcony door open.:o

Not all cruise destinations are tropical. Some people just like to crack a window for fresh air, no matter the location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just shut your air conditioning when you leave the door open. Why have a balcony you can't fully enjoy.

Is that a fact? Is that all one has to do to prevent others on the ship from a reduction of A/C? Just turn your own A/C off? I didn't know that. Why isn't that information given on the ship, at least in each guest's cabin?

Due to the humidity that occurred the one time I did, I'm still not sure I would want to leave the door open because mold and mildew can still grow from the dampness. It might not affect you directly but it can be deadly for some people and it can grow under the carpet and in the drapes. Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but I live near the sea and deal with sea air and fog.