Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

1974 (my 16th birthday) Costa Flavia - OMG it was so much fun.  Shared a cabin with my aunt.  It was tiny bunk beds and you could use the toilet, brush your teeth and shower at the same time in the tiny bathroom.  You had to go down the hall to a special room to blow dry your hair.  I had the time of my life.  I was having so much fun dancing I missed my birthday dinner - got there in time for my cake.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1st cruise - Very early 90's Carnival Holiday (had adults only topless deck) Christmas/NY to Caribbean/Yucatan Penninsula

1st HAL cruise - 2018 Eurodam to Alaska

Thanks for the memories!

20230602_000956.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, Skicruiser55 said:

1974 (my 16th birthday) Costa Flavia - OMG it was so much fun.  Shared a cabin with my aunt.  It was tiny bunk beds and you could use the toilet, brush your teeth and shower at the same time in the tiny bathroom.  You had to go down the hall to a special room to blow dry your hair.  I had the time of my life.  I was having so much fun dancing I missed my birthday dinner - got there in time for my cake.  

Sailed in her around 1977 i think 

Aloha. First cruise Olympia in April 1971. Fast forward to the 1990s when she was the Regal Empress. Decided to relive the experience with wife and daughter.  Major change. Booked the top suite. Wife was afraid to eat the food which was actually very good but a far cry from Cunard line lol. Still a memorable reunion for me but wife still rolls her eyes!

• Like 2

1998 NCL Leeward.  Was in the George H. Bush suite on the bow!  What a great room and small ship.  I still remember shooting clay off of the stern while at sea!  She has had quite the rough history...

Built in 1980 to serve as a ferry, this ship was rebuilt as a cruise ship in 1986. The ship had a poor history, however, with several fires, different rebuilds, and changes in service, as well as a partial sinking in 1994 after striking ice.

In 1995, NCL purchased the ship and operated it as Leeward for five years in the Bahamas, before transferring the vessel to Star Cruises in 2000, when it was renamed SuperStar Taurus. After another rebuild in 2002, the ship moved to northern Europe, and in 2007 it was sold to Louis Hellenic Cruises and began offering Greek Island cruises.

In 2014, the ship was renamed Celestyal Crystal, and in 2015 she had an unfortunate collision with a tanker. Later in 2015 she underwent a major refurbishment and she continues sailing today.

Louis Cruise Line Announces Caribbean + Cuba | CruiseInd

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, djvand said:

1998 NCL Leeward.  Was in the George H. Bush suite on the bow!  What a great room and small ship.  I still remember shooting clay off of the stern while at sea!  She has had quite the rough history...

Built in 1980 to serve as a ferry, this ship was rebuilt as a cruise ship in 1986. The ship had a poor history, however, with several fires, different rebuilds, and changes in service, as well as a partial sinking in 1994 after striking ice.

In 1995, NCL purchased the ship and operated it as Leeward for five years in the Bahamas, before transferring the vessel to Star Cruises in 2000, when it was renamed SuperStar Taurus. After another rebuild in 2002, the ship moved to northern Europe, and in 2007 it was sold to Louis Hellenic Cruises and began offering Greek Island cruises.

In 2014, the ship was renamed Celestyal Crystal, and in 2015 she had an unfortunate collision with a tanker. Later in 2015 she underwent a major refurbishment and she continues sailing today.

Not my first ship but I also sailed Leeward in 1998. It did a series of cruises from Alexandria, VA to Bermuda.  Kind of a strange schedule because turnaround day ran REALLY early to avoiding the Woodrow Wilson Bridge anytime near rush hour.  Even around 1:30 or 2PM, the backups we caused going under the bridge were a sight to see.

Roy

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Not my first ship but I also sailed Leeward in 1998. It did a series of cruises from Alexandria, VA to Bermuda.  Kind of a strange schedule because turnaround day ran REALLY early to avoiding the Woodrow Wilson Bridge anytime near rush hour.  Even around 1:30 or 2PM, the backups we caused going under the bridge were a sight to see.

Roy

OH wow!  I sailed her out of Florida but I bet that was a site at the bridge!

• Like 1

My first cruise was the Carnival Holiday to the western Caribbean in 1991.   I was horribly seasick for 4 of the 7 days in 18 - 20 ft seas and missed ports of call due to bad weather.   Prayed to get off the ship and swore that I would never get on another cruise ship.    Now, 60+ cruises later, I am a  HAL junkie with 3 star mariner, RCCL double diamond, Princess Platinum, never been sea sick since..... 

holiday1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My first cruise was 3/23/72 M/V Lina-A Galapagos Cruises. I was a junior in high school on spring break staying in Equador with a foreign exchange student that I made friends with at my school. It was a fabulous experience! BTW...I had to travel with a chaperone😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, djvand said:

I thought you might have been confused, but at least the hull of this ship has been around for a long time, in one form or another.  Truly unbelievable.  

• Like 1