Do you carry your passport when you get off the ship in port?

I read on cc differing opions about the need to carry a pp when you go on shore. I am concerned about losing it or having someone lift it when I am on the beach. DW feels it is more important to have it than worry about losing it. What do you think?

DW and I disagree on whether you need to carry your pp when you go on shore. I have a copy of both passports in my yahoo email and so I can get a copy anywhere in the world where there's internet. She said that isn't sufficient. She thinks we should carry our pp's.

As a compromise, she got a copy of her pp tattooed on her bun. The first time she showed it at immigration they admitted they'd never seen that before. But, the bar code worked so they let her back into the US. (She had her original pp as back up in case her copy didn't work).

That worked for a while but when she had to get a new pp, she had to turn the other cheek.

You are going to hear from some who carry their passports with them and others who leave them on the ship. Many cruise lines that we sail with hold the passport but regardless we would always leave the passport on the ship unless we were required by the local country to carry it.

I believe that there is a much greater risk that we would lose or our passport would be stolen then the odds of missing the ship.

We do carry a copy with us to facilitate getting a new one in the unlikely even that was required.

Keith

Obviously, nobody is reading the entire post from the OP !!!!

My question is.... where does immigration put their stamp??

Not too different from most threads! Thanks OP for something a little different!

According to OP, immigration put their stamp on the other cheek.

This reminds me of the present BB King's wife gave him for his birthday years ago. She had a large "B" tattooed on each cheek. You know, B.B. Anyway, on his birthday, he asked for his present, and she turned around, bent over and showed him.

He said, "Thanks, honey, I like it But who is BoB?"

The original posting was really funny. What is funnier is the number of people who responded without reading the entire post. Just goes to prove that most people don't really pay attention to the question and just go off on some rant.

The original posting was really funny. What is funnier is the number of people who responded without reading the entire post. Just goes to prove that most people don't really pay attention to the question and just go off on some rant.

and most that didn't read the entire post and just put their comments are those with high post counts, wonder how they got that high :eek:. Those of us with lower counts actually read it :D. Now what does that say about the 'regulars'?

To the OP, my first thought was oh no not again, but by the end have to say thanks for laugh :D. Hope your DW doesn't run out of cheeks to turn over the next many years :eek:.

She still has 9 years left on the new one.

We'll have to cross that bridge when the time comes. Maybe I'll be successful convincing her she doesn't need to carry it all the time or maybe we'll just end up touring the US.

now that is funny. I must tell you that I didn't think of that method....

but since the state department recommends

"Travelers are encouraged to carry limited cash, only one credit card, and a copy of their passport;"

are you allowed to bring a younger copy?

We only carry a copy of our passport front page with photo. Do the same when traveling and staying in hotels, put our passports in the safe at the hotel, unless we need it for something specific.

Archived