Oceania Get Stingy

les221b

I just finished an Oceania cruise, and there were two changes in policy regarding big-O points, which you may not be aware of.

Admittedly, big-O points are not something which will be a

deal-breaker in deciding which cruise line to use, but still, this

was a disappointment.

First, if you have some such points earned on a previous

cruise (perhaps not enough for the prize you wanted, and you

hope to combine them with points on an up-coming cruise,

forget it. Beginning January 1st, points are to be cruise

specific. That is, any such points will be valid only for the

cruise on which such points were earned.

Second, unless you REALLY enjoy ring-toss or shuffleboard

or some other time-killer, don't bother playing unless you're

skilled enough to take either first, second or third place. In the

past, 3 points were awarded for first place, 2 points for second

place and 1 point was given to everyone else who participated.

Now points are awarded only to the top three players. Everyone else gets nothing.

In comparison to everything else it's not a major downgrade,

but it is a downgrade and is not worthy of Oceania.

Les

This is, indeed, tragic news. LOL

Actually my friend and I collect (and share) Big O points for trivia. We'll be wearing our pink O hats that we won on the last cruise on our upcoming cruise Jan 15 in SE Asia. (i.e. unless we decide to cancel because of the new points policy).

Les,

I happen to agree with you. It is not a deal breaker or a major catastrophe, just an unnecessary disappointment.

In the past we have gotten some nice little "souvenirs" for our big O points (baseball caps, t-shirts, bag, book marks, key chains, luggage tags and the like). It's not so much about the items themselves as they are of little value and were usually given away to kids, but we had a lot fun collecting them by participating in activities like trivia, golf, etc. CD Leslie Jon (?sp) was particularly generous with the points and everyone loved that. It's all in good fun.

I really don't see the need to be stingy about these (especially not accepting points from prior cruises - that shows loyalty). If O has good reasons for doing so, I would like to know.

I always knew that even if our team didn't win that day, cleaning up the trivia paper and pencils got you one point. It was the overall generosity that made trivia, golf, and silly games so much fun. And generosity is an important commodity.

Ddcruiser

I'm a trivia freak and will rush back to the ship to play every day. I have t shirts I won on

our one and only O cruise 5 years ago that I still wear. I love cruise c*#p! On our 3 Azamara cruises they were extremely generous with the points for trivia. I won multiples of every thing they had as prizes. I kept one of each and gave the rest back. Having those points or prizes makes it all that much more competitive. I was so hoping for another O t shirt.....

Thanks for posting Les.

On our trivia team last cruise, there was an O regular cruiser who had discovered those two policy changes. Every member of our team thought it was very misguided policy.

1) If you care enough to hold the points to bring on your next cruise to use, it shows that they matter to you. Seems like O would love this kind of dedicated repeat cruiser and keep them happy.

2) The prizes are basically FREE advertising of the best kind - word of mouth. Gotta love a past passenger wearing or carrying you name and logo, all for about ten bucks each.

Just seems like penny pinching that is very short sighted.

PS Am I the only one getting tired of posters who love to put others down because their info doesn't matter to them or is unimportant in their view?

Am I the only one getting tired of posters who love to put others down because their info doesn't matter to them or is unimportant in their view?

It really does not matter if you are the only one or not.

Any HONEST post is a good post.

And how is your criticism of what you label "put down" posts any different from what you yourself are criticizing??

Live and let live. These boards are for everyone to express their honest points of view. We don't need the "post police" passing judgment on what anyone has to say. Disregard what you don't like and allow the rest of us to judge for ourselves.

Maybe people are hoarding the points for their next cruise which in some cases my be 1 a year.

I did not even think to carry them home & bring them on the next cruise

If we do not have enough for some trinket then we give them to someone else to use

If we want a logo t-shirt we just buy one

We very seldom play games on the ship it is not why we go

Lyn

On our last cruise they were short on merchandise when the time came to "cash in" the points. This was the first time I had ever participated in trivia and I was looking forward to snagging a souvenir -- which I was fortunate enough to do -- but jeez, there were people seething in that line when they saw how few items were available!

I respect that this matters to a bunch of folks. On the other hand, if they are going to use the points system, have the gifties available for folks at the end. I was afraid we were going to see a mutiny!!!!

Well I'm sitting on 23 Big O points, thanks in part to a generous fellow cruiser who couldn't be bothered to cash them in & gave them away. But I did earn a handful of points myself at the Country Fair by stuffing pillowcases in record time!

The new policy of use 'em or lose 'em is certainly not a deal breaker, but it would be nice if Oceania extended a grace period for redemption of previously acquired points rather than going to immediate expiry as of January 1.

It really does not matter if you are the only one or not.

Any HONEST post is a good post.

And how is your criticism of what you label "put down" posts any different from what you yourself are criticizing??

Live and let live. These boards are for everyone to express their honest points of view. We don't need the "post police" passing judgment on what anyone has to say. Disregard what you don't like and allow the rest of us to judge for ourselves.

Also much of what some people consider a "putdown" is more another poster's attempt at humor. I have noticed on some of the CC boards tolerance for humor is in short supply. Makes you wonder just how tight some people are wound. Seems they need to go on a cruise and relax.

The new policy of use 'em or lose 'em is certainly not a deal breaker, but it would be nice if Oceania extended a grace period for redemption of previously acquired points rather than going to immediate expiry as of January 1.

Good suggestion; from your mouth/computer to FDR's ears!

After reading this thread lazy me actually made a special trip upstairs just to check how many O points, if any, I still had. I vaguely recalled that I cashed out my points as much as I could on my 2010 cruise in order to obtain that excellent O tote zippered tote bag which I filled with souvenir purchases and used as my carry-on luggage on the flight home!

Fortunately, I can report that I only have six left, so I will not have to cancel my June cruise!;)

I couldn't resist so I went upstairs and looked in my journal where I kept all cards, receipts,mementoes (ie. crap) of my cruises and lo and behold I found 6 big O points. Must be the magic number. I can use them as bookmarks.

I couldn't resist so I went upstairs and looked in my journal where I kept all cards, receipts,mementoes (ie. crap) of my cruises and lo and behold I found 6 big O points. Must be the magic number. I can use them as bookmarks.

Sounds like we have similar memento collections!

I completely agree with you, Pacheco. Some posters are quick to condemn anyone who states or implies his disagreement with an OP. Of course, if you happen to be siding with the cruise line, then you have to tolerate posters whose favorite argument seems to be to call you a cheerleader.

Bill

We,OTOH, just may have to cancel as we have way more than 6 big O points :D

Say it isn't so!!!:D Do you all like to play Trivia? Kenneth and I are Trivia "hounds" and love to play...maybe we can get up a team on the T/A? LuAnn

Archived