Oceania's Free Shuttles List

hoffdahl

6 hours ago, ShibaInuMom said:

Also, anyone know about Londonberry, UK?  Trying to decide how to get into town and what to do there.

I assume you mean Londonderry, commonly referred to as Derry, in Northern Ireland.  

If so, we were there on Nautica in June 2019 and there was a shuttle to the Visitor's Centre in town.  It is a most interesting city, made famous during "The Troubles" and Bloody Sunday.   Lots to see.

A very walkable city, with some uphill streets.  From the Visitor Centre we walked across the Peace Bridge, visited the Guildhall (beautiful stained glass windows), walked the city walls (you can find guided tours of this), and we did the Bogside walk using Rick Steve's guide (I think you can find guides for this, too, in case you are uncomfortable doing the walk independently - check online, or with the Visitor Centre), visited the Museum of Free Derry, and back uphill to St. Columb's Cathedral.

According to my notes, we were here until 11pm, but the last shuttle was 7 pm.  We headed back at 5:30pm since we had dinner reserved in Polo Grill. 

Yes, it would be great if people update this.  And thanks for finding the list!  There's one addition I know of: Kirkwall, Shetland Islands, UK, provided a free shuttle when we were there in the summer 2017. It went to the Visitor Info Center/ bus station area on Castle Street. Once there, it was reasonably easy to walk around some of the sights in town. The map on the site below also shows where tender boats drop passengers.  (We docked.)   See www.cruise-orkney.com for good info/map.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

List updated April 1st 2022 with info from the past couple of pages. 

Please copy and paste the list, and add updates or corrections directly to it.

Oceania Shuttles List

==================================================================

Free shuttle buses are offered when:

• The ship is docked a long walk from the main thoroughfare
  • Taxis and or public transportation are not easily accessible from the port. .
  • The port is industrial and not pedestrian-friendly.
  • The decision on whether free buses will be offered will be based on the port used and will be made closer to or during the sailing

Once on board, a list of ports that will offer a complimentary shuttle into town will be provided / shown in daily Currents

Adelaide Aus................Tram right at port goes to centre city, no shuttle ...Dec 2019

Agios Nikolaos ............Don't need a shuttle as dock near town centre ......update 2020

Airlie Beach (Aust.) .....Tender, then $5AUD pp each way shuttle

Akaroa NZ ................... Tender of centre of town. ...... Dec 2019

Alanya (Turkey) ............Taxis take you to the top of the hill .   ... update 2020

Albany West Aus ..........Shuttle to town centre ...........Dec 2019

Alesund ........................ Dock at town so no shuttle

Alexandria .................... Shuttle to city square

Alicante Sp ....................free shuttle .............update 2022

Amalfi .......................... No need for shuttle

Antigua...........................dock in town ..no shuttle

Antofagasta ................. Free shuttle to town

Antwerp ....................... Dock in town - no shuttle needed ... Aug 2017

Aqaba ........................... Shuttle

Arrecife (Canary Is.)......free shuttle .............................per Currents 2014

Bangkok ....................... Free shuttle to town

Bar Harbour ................. Dock at town so no shuttle

Barcelona .................... Free shuttle to town (worldTrade Centre)

Basseterre, St. Kitts ..... Dock at town so no shuttle

Belfast .......................... Free shuttle to town (near City Hall)

Bermuda (Hamilton)....... dock in town ..no shuttle

Bilbao ............................Free shuttle to town

Bordeaux (city) ............ Dock at town so no shuttle

Bordeaux (Le Verdon) .... shore excursion required

Brisbane (Aus) ............. Free shuttle to town

Broome (Australia)........ Free shuttle to town

Bruges (Zeebruge) ......... free shuttle to port gates ... August 2017

Burnie Tas Aus...............Shuttle to Makers Workshop (meet guides/taxis) and to town......update 2020

Buenes Aires ................. Free shuttle to town / Plaza Hotel .......... update 2020

Cadiz ........................... Dock at town so no shuttle

Cairns Aus ................... Dock at town so no shuttle

Callao (Lima) ............... Free shuttle to town

Canary Islands .............Shuttle to terminal then walk ................ update 2020

Capetown..................NO shuttle - walk or  cab. (E berth, Terminal, Duncan Rd  Jan 2019

Casablanca .............. Free shuttle to town

Castries, St Lucia ...... Dock at town so no shuttle

Civitavecchia(for Rome).. Free shuttle to Civitavecchia

Cobh..................... Dock at town so no shuttle

Colombo, .............. Free from ship to Port Gate 1. (local taxis available there) Jan 2019

Concarneau .............. Dock at town so no shuttle

Copenhagen .............. Free shuttle to town – however reports of it being difficult see post 301

Coquimbo ................ Free shuttle to town

Corfu ......................... Free shuttle to town

Corner Brook ............ Dock at town so no shuttle

Crete..........................Shuttle ................update 2020

Dar es Salaam...........Free shuttle from pier to Hyatt Regency in City Center.   Long walk from ship to exit gate.  There are several gates which may be confusing. Very busy working port  (Jan 2019)

Darwin Aus ............... Free shuttle to town

Dubai .........................Free shuttle from the port to the Dubai Mall

Dublin ...................... Free shuttle to town (kildare St/Merrion Square) ... Aug 2017

Dubrovnick .............. Free shuttle to town

Dunedin NZ .............. Free shuttle to town

East London, SA ........... Free shuttle from pier to the Hemingsway Mall (Jan 2019)

Edinburgh (Leith) .......No shuttle - Closest port to town but still a distance to city centre 

Eden Aus ................... Tender then shuttle but only short walk

Ephesus ..........Quite a drive from Kusadasi - best done by a tour ...........update 2020

Esmeraldas ............. shuttle to  Playa de las Palmas (docked / itinerary said tender) Mar 2019

Exmouth (Aus) ........... Free shuttle to town

Flam Norway............... No shuttle needed - dock in town July 2018

Fremantle/Perth ........unsure, nearby ferry dock, train station very close to dock..... update Dec 2019

Geirange ................... No shuttle needed - Dock at town 

Geraldton West Aus ...Shuttle .................Update Dec 2019

Gisbourne NZ ............ Free shuttle to town but short walk

Gothenburg ................ Shuttle to City Hall

Greenock ................ ..No shuttle needed - Dock at town  (15-20 minute walk to train to Glasgow)

Haifa ......................... no shuttle on Sat but there was one on Sunday

Halifax ................. ....No shuttle needed - Dock at town 

Halifax pier 31  shuttle  to Pier 22 pavillion  April 2019

Hamburg ................. Shuttle provided by Port to City Hall ....Aug 2017
Harvest Caye........... ferry to mainland *not* operating for independents when there Mar 2019

Havana, Cuba ............ Dock in city. walk off on main street.... April 2017.

Helsinki ................... Free shuttle to town/ Shuttle from Westport to terminal near Market Square

Hobart (aus) ............ Dock at town so no shuttle ... Sep 2017

Holyhead ................ Free shuttle to town (really to end of dock) ... Aug 2017

Invergordon ............. Dock at town so no shuttle .... August 2017

Kirkwall (Shetlands Is) .......Shuttle to visitors centre Castle St .... update 2017

Koper ...................... Dock at town so no shuttle

Kotor ....................... Dock at town so no shuttle

Kristiansand ............ Walking distance to town ...(South coast Norway)  August 2017

Kristiansund.............No shuttle - dock in town (West coast of Norway) July 2018

La Coruna ............... Dock at town so no shuttle

Langkawi.................Free shuttle  from pier to Cenang Duty free Mall Jan 2019

La Rochelle ............. Free shuttle to town

Le Havre (for Paris) .... Free shuttle to town (Le Havre) .... August 2017

Le Verdon ................. Free shuttle to town (Soulacsur Mer)

Lerwick .................... Dock at town so no shuttle

Lima - .......................Free shuttle to Marriott at Larcomar (Miraflores neighborhood) Mar 2019

Lisbon .................... Free shuttle to town (or dock in town)

Liverpool ............... Dock at town so no shuttle ... August 2017

Livorno ................... Free shuttle to town

Londonderry Nth Ire .....Shuttle to visitors centre in town..........update 2019

Male, Maldives.........tender port.... guides waiting + pick up tours there. Walk in town Jan 2019

Mahe, Seychelles........no shuttle . Jan 2019

Malaga ....................Shuttle ..............update 2022

Manta Ecuador ...... shuttle to main square (longish walk); will drop you at port gate Mar 2109

Maputo, ...................Free shuttle from pier to City Center (feima market) Jan 2019

Marseille ............... Free shuttle to town (fort Saint John)

Melbourne Vic Aus ...Tram 109 is 5-10 min walk from port, buy ticket at convenience store, no shuttle.       Trams within City Centre free, no shuttle ...... update Dec 2019
Miami .................... Free shuttle to Bayside Marketplace (*not* as an embarkation day)  Mar 2019 

Mitilini.....................This is tender port near town centre....... update 2020

Monte Carlo ............. Dock at town so no shuttle

Murmansk ................ Need to book a tour either O or private for visa

Muscat ..................... Free shuttle to the Souk

Mykonos.....................No shuttle needed, dock in town ...update 2020

Napier NZ.....................shuttle to ISite info centre on Marine Parade .... update Dec 2019

Nassau, Bahamas ..........dock in town

New York .................. no shuttle (Manhattan cruise terminal) Mar 2019

Newcastle .................. Free shuttle to nearest metro station (limited timing)

Nosy be, Madagascar...Free shuttle  (tender port) from pier to Town Center Market Jan 2019

Oporto ........................ Free shuttle to town

Oslo ............................. Dock in town so no shuttle .... Aug 2017

Palma de Mallorca........ Free shuttle to town (cathedral)

Paris - see Le Havre

Patmos..............Dock in town - no shuttle needed .... update 2020

Perth see Fremantle

Phillip Is Vic Aus.........long tender ride in, shuttle to beach /boardwalk, limited car hire/taxis....Dec 2019

Phuket, Thailand........no shuttle Jan 2019

Picton NZ .................... Dock at town so no shuttle

Pisco ......................... Free shuttle to town

Port Arthur Tas Aus ..... Tender in to PA Penal Settlement - (no real town so a guess) no shuttle needed updated 2022

Port Elizabeth,  South Africa....Free shuttle from pier to the Boardwalk jan 2019

Port Klang................... Shuttle to Bukit Tinggi Mall. Break from 11:45 - 1:30.  Jan 19

Portofini ................... No need for shuttle
Puerto Limon........... no shuttle, tours by the local taxis & shops on the pier, walk to town Mar 2019

Portland ................... Free shuttle to town

Praislin, Seychelles....no shuttle
Praislin, .............. .......no shuttle . Jan 2019
Roatan ...................... no shuttle, Oceania docks in Coxen Hole, many port shops etc Mar 2019

Roatan  can also dock at Mahogany Bay resort port

Rhodes ....................... Dock in town so no shuttle. ..... update 2020

Richards Bay............... Free shuttle from pier to Boardwalk Mall.  (Jan 2019)

Rio .............. Free shuttle to town

Rome ........................(see Civitavecchia)

Safaga,Egypt .............. a shuttle to downtown

Saint John NB ........... Dock at town so no shuttle

Salalah, Oman ............ shuttle to the Souk

Salaverry............. shuttle to Trujillo/or shuttle to port gate - private tours. Tours in Trujillo  Mar 2019

San Sebastion de la Gomera ...........None needed ........ update 2020

Santa Cruz De Teneriffe ........Shuttle to terminal ....................update 2019
Santo Tomas, ...... - no shuttle, tours in the terminal,  walk into town Mar 2019

Santos ......................... Free shuttle to town

Skagan Denmark............free shuttle to town July 2018

Singapore.......................no shuttle Jan 2019

Sorrento ...................... Free shuttle to town

Split ............................. Dock at town so no shuttle

Stavanger ....................dock in town July 2018

St Barts ..................... tender to town..no shuttle

St. Lucia ................... Castries: Dock at town so no shuttle.

Pointe Seraphine: .....walking distance (500 metres) or harbour water taxi to main area town.

St Malo ...................... Dock at town so no shuttle

St Jean De Luz .......... Dock at town so no shuttle

St Petersburg .............. Need to book a tour - either O or private for visa

Sydney N.S. ................. Dock at town so no shuttle

Sydney Cove/ Circular Quay Aus ...... Free shuttle to Darling Harbour centre ..... 2018

Sydney White Bay dock Aus ...turnaround day .  no shuttles, taxis available ..... Dec 2019

Tallinn ........................ Free shuttle to gates of old lower town (main road outside city wall)

Tauranga /Rororua.....disembarkation ?? shuttle ..............Dec 2019

Valencia ..................... Free shuttle to town

Valletta ..................... Dock below town. Take an elevator up for €1-€2 . Free to go back.

Venice ....................... Free shuttle to town

Warnemunde............ walk to town or train (short walk from port) to Rostock July 2018

Wellington NZ............free shuttle to several places city centre ...... Dec 2019

Zanzibar................... Free shuttle from pier to Kelele Square (Jan 2019)

Zeebruge (for Bruges).... Shuttle to port gates ... Aug 2017

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Does anyone know the scoop in Athens (Piraeus)?

The port for Athens is Piraeus, so you're not going to dock right there next to land-locked Athens.  There are various ways to get there, however.  It's highly unlikely that there will be a shuttle from Piraeus to Athens, although I suppose it's possible Oceania will offer some kind of transfer as a do it yourself type excursion.  And when we were there, there was a shuttle, but it was just inside Piraeus port to outside the port. And when we were there, I believe I took a bus that started near the port and ran to Athens.  But that was a while ago, so it would probably be best to google to see what's possible.  I used to use Tom's Port Guides for that information.  But they haven't been updated recently, so probably not very useful except as general information.

6 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

The port for Athens is Piraeus, so you're not going to dock right there next to land-locked Athens.  There are various ways to get there, however.  It's highly unlikely that there will be a shuttle from Piraeus to Athens, although I suppose it's possible Oceania will offer some kind of transfer as a do it yourself type excursion.  And when we were there, there was a shuttle, but it was just inside Piraeus port to outside the port. And when we were there, I believe I took a bus that started near the port and ran to Athens.  But that was a while ago, so it would probably be best to google to see what's possible.  I used to use Tom's Port Guides for that information.  But they haven't been updated recently, so probably not very useful except as general information.

Thanks Sea, just having a port shuttle is really helpful.  I think we will take the metro from the entrance to the port as long as we don’t have to walk the whole way to the entrance from the ship.  Rick Steves has a walk of Athens on his Audio Europe app and I find that many times, his walks are better than private tours as long as you don’t need transportation, plus, on your own time.  Thanks again!

In 2016 we were at Piraeus on a Celebrity cruise.  We used PK Travel for a full-day Athens tour that started with the Acropolis [beating out the crowds] and included the museum as well as all the other top sights.  I highly recommend it.  [We paid €65 per person, and I see that it has only gone up to €70]

https://www.pktravelgreece.com/semi-private-full-day-athens-shore-tour/

4 hours ago, Bowler Lady said:

I am coming in to Seville on Oceania in May. Does anyone know if Oceania has a shuttle to town? It is not on the list.

Which ship are you on, and does your itinerary actually say "Seville" with no mention of Cadiz, Spain or does it say "Seville (Cadiz)"?  I've read that some small cruise ships are able to go right down the river to Seville.  But when we cruised in that area, we docked in Cadiz.   If you end up there, I doubt Oceania will offer a shuttle to Seville, as there's more than an hour's drive between the two cities.  But they will likely offer excursions to Seville, and possibly an excursion which is just transportation to the city and back.   If you're adventuresome, you can walk several blocks to the bus/train station and take bus or train to Seville.  But Cadiz is actually a pretty nice city, so some people just stay in the city for the day.  Now if you're lucky enough to actually be docking in Seville, you may not need a shuttle anywhere.  But I don't know where ships dock there, so can't really help there!

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Which ship are you on, and does your itinerary actually say "Seville" with no mention of Cadiz, Spain or does it say "Seville (Cadiz)"?  I've read that some small cruise ships are able to go right down the river to Seville.  But when we cruised in that area, we docked in Cadiz.   If you end up there, I doubt Oceania will offer a shuttle to Seville, as there's more than an hour's drive between the two cities.  But they will likely offer excursions to Seville, and possibly an excursion which is just transportation to the city and back.   If you're adventuresome, you can walk several blocks to the bus/train station and take bus or train to Seville.  But Cadiz is actually a pretty nice city, so some people just stay in the city for the day.  Now if you're lucky enough to actually be docking in Seville, you may not need a shuttle anywhere.  But I don't know where ships dock there, so can't really help there!

We dock directly in Seville and overnight there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ReligBookFreak said:

I have heard that as of 2023 cruise ships will no longer be able to dock in Venice, Italy. Some cruise lines are moving to Trieste, but Oceania has NOT announced its plans for 2023 yet. Has anyone heard if there will be a shuttle from Trieste to Venice?

Alan

It will not be a free shuttle  if a port stop

They were transporting pax arriving at VCE to Trieste  for embarkation day free but if a port stop  no free shuttle

None of the larger ships (over 25000 GRT) will be docking in Venice in the forseeable future

On 4/13/2022 at 3:11 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

When we docked at Cadiz, we considered taking a tour to Seville but, opted to do a walking tour of Cadiz that included tapas,, wine while watching a flamenco dance troupe. Really enjoyed Cadiz.

On 4/15/2022 at 5:12 PM, LHT28 said:

It will not be a free shuttle  if a port stop

They were transporting pax arriving at VCE to Trieste  for embarkation day free but if a port stop  no free shuttle

None of the larger ships (over 25000 GRT) will be docking in Venice in the forseeable future

I will be on the Nautica leaving from Trieste on May 15.  When I booked the cruise it was scheduled to depart from Venice.  After this was changed, Oceania said they would provide complimentary transfer from Venice to Trieste.  The problem is that I have spoken to my TA and Oceania and I cannot nail them down on a time for this transfer or what type of vehicle will be used.  I was told just to be at the airport "around 11AM" and I should be able to find the shuttle.  Does anyone know the exact time of the shuttle departure, where it will be and what it will look like?  This uncertainty has caused me more anxiety than any other part of the cruise. Thanks.

1 hour ago, teampierce said:

I will be on the Nautica leaving from Trieste on May 15.  When I booked the cruise it was scheduled to depart from Venice.  After this was changed, Oceania said they would provide complimentary transfer from Venice to Trieste.  The problem is that I have spoken to my TA and Oceania and I cannot nail them down on a time for this transfer or what type of vehicle will be used.  I was told just to be at the airport "around 11AM" and I should be able to find the shuttle.  Does anyone know the exact time of the shuttle departure, where it will be and what it will look like?  This uncertainty has caused me more anxiety than any other part of the cruise. Thanks.

I stressed about it too when we sailed last October. We were told the same thing so I was really worrying. We went to the airport and found several women walking around with "Oceania" signs. They were rounding up people for the cruise, then put us all on the bus. You should get to the airport before 11 (we got there around 10:30) and it will be fine.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, we will be on Oceania Marina Dec 18-Feb 7. I am wondering about Oceania's free transfers. We are docking at Santos for Sao Paulo Brazil. Will there be a shuttle to Sao Paulo? Thank you for your help on this I really appreciate it.

1 hour ago, dlgzozo said:

Hi, we will be on Oceania Marina Dec 18-Feb 7. I am wondering about Oceania's free transfers. We are docking at Santos for Sao Paulo Brazil. Will there be a shuttle to Sao Paulo? Thank you for your help on this I really appreciate it.

We were in Santos maybe 6 or 7 years ago. It's not exactly close to Sao Paulo, and no shuttle was offered.  However, I vaguely remember that there was something offered (not free) in the port to go by coach or bus.  But we just stayed in Santos.  Sometimes the smaller places make me happier.

I don't have time to go update the list but just wanted to report my experience the past 2 weeks in the following ports: (info from May 2022)

Istanbul - embarkation, so no shuttle.  There is a new port terminal and a whole bunch of new shops there now.  But ship location is pretty much the same, in the Tophane area. You can take the tram to the tourist part of city.  If go to port by taxi, beware - since port is new, there's not much help if you come by cab.  Cabs can't drop you at a ship.  They must go down into the bowels of the earth to drop pax, with no signage and nobody to direct a driver where to go if coming by cab.  And English was iffy for the one per person who was at the entrance - the wrong entrance for us!  When coming back by foot, however, there was good signage in the port.

Bozcaada, Turkey (city on island same name) - tender port, and small city.  No shuttle needed.

Kusadasi Turkey for Ephesus - no shuttle, but shopping available fairly close by in city. 

Haifa Israel - shuttle has been reported.  There was one, but only to port entrance (Gate 5, at least for us).   If you're interested in going to Akko/Acre, there's a little boat right there on the water that goes.  If not, railroad station isn't far away, but we took ship and non-ship excursions so I never figured out how to get there - overpass, I think. 

Ashdod Israel -  Currents paper reported shuttle to Seal Mall. Walking through port prohibited. Did not use, as had tour with company that met us right near ship

Rhodes Greece no shuttle needed; not terribly long walk to walk to gate of Old City after walking kind of long pier to get outside the port gate

Chania (Hania), Crete (Greece)  - shuttle to city center near the big building used as the city market (was closed for reconstruction in May).  Best to download maps.me while at home to use offline to get down to the waterfront to see this beautiful city

Paphos, Cyprus - Don't think there was a shuttle.  But you can walk about 10 minutes to get to stores, restaurants, entrance to Archaeological Park, public bus station and beach.

Zakynthos, Greece - tender port, smallish island. No shuttle. Pretty easy to walk to small resort town.

Valletta, Malta - No shuttle. Walk along water 5-10 minutes to find Barrakkas Lift to city (1 euro going up, free if have ticket used to go up) with beautiful views. Taxis available outside port terminal for 3 hour tours.  Other options around port. Tourist info also.

Trapani, Italy - don't think there was shuttle

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Trapani, Sicily ... can confirm no shuttle; docked very near downtown

Ashdod, Israel ... can confirm shuttle to Sea Mall if docked at a distant pier (no walking through the port).  Not sure what happens if you are directly at the cruise terminal.

• 1 month later...