Europe Cruises 2012-anyone else worried?

stargaza

I know these things cannot be predicted, but given Greece's default and all the protests this summer-and now Italy in danger of defaulting as well, anyone else feel this may not be the best time for a cruise in Europe? After all these years waiting and saving to take this trip, it just seems like horrible timing. I know the cruise can choose to go to other ports if things are really bad, but if Europe falls apart, that would not mean a whole lot to see or do. Greece is barely functioning right now. Shops are closing up left and right b/c they have no customers.

Thoughts?

I was on a 10 day cruise in Sept in Eastern Med. The day we went to Athens there was taxi strike.It just meant the traffic was lighter. Most shop keepers said that trousim is very important and to tell friends to come to Greece. Also Greece is made up of many islands. We visited three and they were great port days. Saw more closed shops here in my home town than anywhere in Europe. Italy is also more than Rome. There are many places to visit.

I would not worry. Yes,there is a global economic crisis that will take years to grow out of.

Would you suggest Europeans not travel to U.S. because folks are camping out in some of our city parks?

Of course each traveller must make their own decision.

I know these things cannot be predicted, but given Greece's default and all the protests this summer-and now Italy in danger of defaulting as well, anyone else feel this may not be the best time for a cruise in Europe? After all these years waiting and saving to take this trip, it just seems like horrible timing. I know the cruise can choose to go to other ports if things are really bad, but if Europe falls apart, that would not mean a whole lot to see or do. Greece is barely functioning right now. Shops are closing up left and right b/c they have no customers.

Thoughts?

I've learned a lot from my travels that things change in this world in a matter of hours, days and weeks. I would not be concerned about next year at this point in time. Often places that you think will be a problem are no longer a problem and it's those places that are not on anyones radar screen that become the problem.

At this point in time i would not hesitate to book a European cruise for next year.

Keith

... but if Europe falls apart, that would not mean a whole lot to see or do.

Thoughts?

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "fall apart". Financial collapse all over Europe - not happening. Buildings and monuments being torn apart by angry mobs, until there are no more cathedrals, castles, etc.? Don't think so.

If any of this were to happen, there would be far greater worries than a cruise. I have a land trip to Europe planned for next summer, and while aware of what's going on, it does not particularly concern me in regard to this trip.

I don't think there is much to worry about at this point. Strikes, protests, discontent and sit-ins seem to be a universal by-product of our current worldwide financial situation. If it ever got to a point where tourists were in danger in a particular city, the cruise line would simply change the itinerary. Frankly, I think there are a lot more troublesome tourist spots right now than the European Union (Mexico, Middle East, Gulf of Aden). So I would go ahead and book if I were you.

..there were stories of a strike by the "longshoremen" in Greece in years past and the towns people came out to secure the ship at port.....Let's face it MONEY makes the world go around and if the Euro collapes than the Dollar would be valueable (at least more than now). Book and have a great time after all you pay in U.S. dollars.:)

We already have the cruise booked on the Silhoutte in May. It just looks a little dicey, but your posts are helping. Taking my parent's and my mom is freaking out a bit about it too. I guess it's just one of those wait and see things.

Thoughts?

For you to ponder. This is exactly what is happening in America as well.

Are you worried that non Americans will not cruise from America?

It is not only Europe where the economy has been destroyed and things are falling apart.

We already have the cruise booked on the Silhoutte in May. It just looks a little dicey, but your posts are helping. Taking my parent's and my mom is freaking out a bit about it too. I guess it's just one of those wait and see things.

May is still 6 months away. Alot (good and bad) can happen in that time. Cruises lines will alter schedules in response to international problems. Just this year, we had the earthquake/tsunami/radioactivity in Japan and the Arab Spring along with a number of other disasters, both natural and man made. Cruise lines adapted to those.

We're booked for next June. I'm not really concerned. We were in the Med this past summer too and in Athens when alot of stuff was going on. There was a taxi strike called at the last minute the day we were there. Luckily we had arranged a private tour and it did not effect us at all.

Everyone we talked to seemed VERY happy to have the tourists. The country and people depend on the tourist to help the economy.

As long as there is not gunfire in the streets, I will try to go to Europe.

Also keep in mind things change quickly. Our next cruise was originally supposed to go to Tunis, Tunisia and RCCL has now taken that port off all its upcoming cruises. The lines will not deliberately put their passengers in danger. If it is not safe, they will not stop.

I don't think you have to worry about gunfire in the streets of Europe!! Most folks there don't own guns. It is here in the USA that gun ownership is more common!

There have always been protests when folks were unhappy and that doesn't mean that cruisers or other tourists are in danger.

I'm more worried about that aircraft carrier (or should I say "Oasis of the Seas"?) sized asteroid that is going to pass earth - just barely - Tuesday night. :D It will pass us closer than the moon. As for vacationing in Europe next year, all I can say is that every year there is some upheaval happening somewhere in Europe, and the world hasn't ended yet. Keep your plans and don't worry about Europe.

As for Tuesday night - I just hope they got their calculations correct!!! :eek: Else we won't need to worry about turmoil in Europe next year. :(

http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/11/asteroid_passes_between_earth.html

I'm more worried about that aircraft carrier (or should I say "Oasis of the Seas"?) sized asteroid that is going to pass earth - just barely - Tuesday night. :D It will pass us closer than the moon. As for vacationing in Europe next year, all I can say is that every year there is some upheaval happening somewhere in Europe, and the world hasn't ended yet. Keep your plans and don't worry about Europe.

As for Tuesday night - I just hope they got their calculations correct!!! :eek: Else we won't need to worry about turmoil in Europe next year. :(

http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/11/asteroid_passes_between_earth.html

...for that matter, what about the end of the Mayan calendar in December of 2012? Maybe we should all book cruises now that don't have to be paid back until 2013!!!

I'm thrilled to bits we did so much European travel years ago and didn't have these worries then. We'd like to return to Europe but I'm on the fence about 'waiting and watching'.

If I were 'early' in our European travels, I would book the cruise, hold off for a little bit on booking air and watch carefully in the next weeks/months. You can always cancel prior to final payment and hopefully just lose the cost of your insurance IF you book with a TA that won't assess a penalty for cancellation.

JMO but I would cautiously plan to go but stay alert to current events.

Well,

living in Europe I cannot share your point of view of Europe falling apart.

Sure, the economy especially in the southern countries such as italy and greece is bad.

However, Europe is not only the Med.

Ever thought about a Baltic Cruise or a cruise to Norway or Great Britain?

If you are all set to see the Med, than do so and don´t get your heartz set on certain ports, as strike, weather or anything unforeseeable can always change a cruise schedule.

I read a staggering piece of information that 16% of Americans live in poverty. I was rather shocked by that. I knew they had their problems but I didn't think it extended that bad.

As for Europe sure its a little bit interesting their financially. But isn't this why we take out travel insurance.

I'm going to Eygpt next month for three weeks. Not worried about that. However, some people wouldn't go cause of the unrest this year. Just like I went through Sudan and Syria in 2005. Now you can't get into Syria. So glad I had the chance to see Syria when I could.

...for that matter, what about the end of the Mayan calendar in December of 2012? Maybe we should all book cruises now that don't have to be paid back until 2013!!!

Please note that I have scheduled my next cruise just before the Mayan Calendar expires on 12/21/12 :eek:. Not that I actually believe it....just sayin.... :D

I read a staggering piece of information that 16% of Americans live in poverty. I was rather shocked by that. I knew they had their problems but I didn't think it extended that bad.

There are pockets of real poverty, but for the most part, not the kind of poverty I've seen in other parts of the world.

As for Europe sure its a little bit interesting their financially. But isn't this why we take out travel insurance.

I'm going to Eygpt next month for three weeks. Not worried about that. However, some people wouldn't go cause of the unrest this year. Just like I went through Sudan and Syria in 2005. Now you can't get into Syria. So glad I had the chance to see Syria when I could.

It all depends on how you define Poverty. Do a google search and see how many of those people living in "poverty" have cars, flat screen tvs, air conditioning, etc., etc. Also, check the percentage of those 16% who are overweight to obese - they aren't starving. US poverty isn't like that in Africa, India, etc.

Why would we worry about going to Europe? Lets see....some of the EU countries have deficit problems....some of the EU countries have political problems..... There are some demonstrations is a few neighborhoods in a few cities. Hmmmm. Sounds like the USA!

Hank

Why would we worry about going to Europe? Lets see....some of the EU countries have deficit problems....some of the EU countries have political problems..... There are some demonstrations is a few neighborhoods in a few cities. Hmmmm. Sounds like the USA!

Hank

........"We are the world".......la-la-la-la...de...da..." (sorry I don't know the lyrics).....:D

Archived