original prescription bottles

bandgbasset

haven't seen this posted anywhere. between dh and i we have a few prescriptions. we have some mon, tues, wed containers we use at home. do most people bring the original bottles or are the traveling containers ok?

thanks for your replies.

dave and gerry

I use the Mon-Tue-Wed pill boxes since it's just normal maintenance meds, vitamins, etc. BUT if I had a prescription for a controlled substance I'd bring that in an original labeled Rx bottle.

Prescription meds are identifiable by the pill color, shape, markings, etc. so it's not a matter of what are you carrying, it's a matter of who it is prescribed for. No one is going to take your Lipitor away if it's not in an original container.

Whenever you cross a border (and this includes entering a country, including the US, at the end of your cruise) your belongings are subject to inspection for contraband.

The US Department of State recommends you keep your medications in their original prescription containers as well as bringing copies of your prescriptions:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html

"To avoid problems when passing through customs, keep medicines in their original, labeled containers. Bring copies of your prescriptions and the generic names for the drugs. If a medication is unusual or contains narcotics, carry a letter from your doctor attesting to your need to take the drug. If you have any doubt about the legality of carrying a certain drug into a country, consult the embassy or consulate of that country before you travel."

By the way, even though TSA rules do not require that medications be in their original prescription containers, some Cruise Critic posters have reported TSA agents giving them trouble about meds not being in their proper containers, and in at least one instance a poster reported TSA seizing the medications. So even if you're just taking a domestic flight, it's safer to use original prescription bottles.

By LAW? They need to be in original containers.

Your mileage may vary. Feel lucky?

Side Note: Whatever you decide, increase the amount that you travel with by 50%. Never know when those travel delays are going to pop up. Nothing worse that taking a 7 day supply and needing 10 days worth due to travel issues.

Most folks use the pill boxes/daily planner things for standard meds. For heavy-duty narcotics, the original bottle is best.

Most people use the original Rx bottles.

US Customs and the Customs departments of other countries (most especially Singapore, Japan and the UAE) tend to be horrified at the multi-day pill containers.

Can you afford to have all your drugs thrown away? Or worse in Singapore and the UAE where you might end up needing a lawyer?

haven't seen this posted anywhere. between dh and i we have a few prescriptions. we have some mon, tues, wed containers we use at home. do most people bring the original bottles or are the traveling containers ok?

thanks for your replies.

dave and gerry

s

While not required, if you are flying it's good to take the original bottles with you.

Keith

I use the Mon-Tue-Wed pill boxes since it's just normal maintenance meds, vitamins, etc. BUT if I had a prescription for a controlled substance I'd bring that in an original labeled Rx bottle.

Prescription meds are identifiable by the pill color, shape, markings, etc. so it's not a matter of what are you carrying, it's a matter of who it is prescribed for. No one is going to take your Lipitor away if it's not in an original container.

I have this type box as well. I am not sure I understand.. would you take a Lipitor container.. or are you saying it isn't important to?

I have this type box as well. I am not sure I understand.. would you take a Lipitor container.. or are you saying it isn't important to?
I'm saying I don't take the original container because they can be verified to be Lipitor by anyone who cares to, and (I predict) they won't really bother to verify that the Lipitor is prescribed to me.

I have meds that come in a huge bottle and really could have a problem having to carry that bottle and all the other medications in the original bottles. I have always taken the Sat.-Sun. pill comtainer.

Just ask your pharmacy to give you small bottles with a label on each one.

Keith

Just ask your pharmacy to give you small bottles with a label on each one.

Keith

We get all our maintenance drugs through a mail order company in 3 months supply. Can't get small bottles so we have always used the weekly cases. Any ideas what we should be doing?

We get all our maintenance drugs through a mail order company in 3 months supply. Can't get small bottles so we have always used the weekly cases. Any ideas what we should be doing?

I just wouldn't worry about it. It's not a requirement. If you have copies of the prescriptions I would bring them but again not required.

Keith

s

While not required, if you are flying it's good to take the original bottles with you.

Keith

If you are on only domestic flights this doesn't apply. The TSA could care less if you've got 100 tabs of oxycontin on you--as long as you don't have a 1" knife on your nail clipper you'll be fine.

I travel every week (domestic) and dump all my scripts together into one bottle with a three year old label on it. They're more concerned with the mini ResQ-Me on my keychain. Almost had one idiot talked into trying it out on a 10' x 8' piece of plate glass behind him. Another TSA stopped him before he shattered it into smithereens. Too bad, would have pee'd myself laughing on that one.

If you are on only domestic flights this doesn't apply. The TSA could care less if you've got 100 tabs of oxycontin on you--as long as you don't have a 1" knife on your nail clipper you'll be fine.

I travel every week (domestic) and dump all my scripts together into one bottle with a three year old label on it.

I agree it's not required. But if someone has the original bottles and doesn't mind taking them then it's a good idea. Again not necessary.

Keith

Go down to your local drugstore and see if they'll give you some smaller bottles. If you're lucky the label will peel off the larger bottle and you can put it on the smaller one. The labels on DH's bottles all peel off easily so we just transfer the labels to the smaller containers.

Archived