Elite perk or lazy?

srphnx

Question about the actual laundry process...if anyone on the boards even know....do they wash all of my clothes together? If I have darks and whites do they put them together, or do they put my whites with other passenger whites and my darks with other passenger darks? I can't imagine they would take care with each elite/suite/paying passenger to do them all separately or look at the tags to see if its hand wash/gentle wash/etc.....

Question about the actual laundry process...if anyone on the boards even know....do they wash all of my clothes together? If I have darks and whites do they put them together, or do they put my whites with other passenger whites and my darks with other passenger darks? I can't imagine they would take care with each elite/suite/paying passenger to do them all separately or look at the tags to see if its hand wash/gentle wash/etc.....

I'm not sure I have the right answer... but every item of our clothes always had a sticker attached to it with our cabin number and/or last name. And those stickers stick!! I've found stickers 6 months after the cruise thinking I had found them all. It makes me wonder if they separate colors and wash clothes combined with other people and then separate back out.

They put tags on the items just like your local dry cleaner. I assume they wash like things from various people in the same machine and then resort them just like the dry cleaner does. I agree its a great perk of Elite. We did have an issue when I made Elite a cruise before DH. He filled out the laundry form while I was dressing and even though it was my stuff, Princess wanted to charge us for the entire bag. Took talking to customer service in Cali. to get it settled.

Donna

They put tags on the items just like your local dry cleaner. I assume they wash like things from various people in the same machine and then resort them just like the dry cleaner does. I agree its a great perk of Elite. We did have an issue when I made Elite a cruise before DH. He filled out the laundry form while I was dressing and even though it was my stuff, Princess wanted to charge us for the entire bag. Took talking to customer service in Cali. to get it settled.

Donna

My gosh, what a pain in the ***.

We did have an issue when I made Elite a cruise before DH. He filled out the laundry form while I was dressing and even though it was my stuff, Princess wanted to charge us for the entire bag. Took talking to customer service in Cali. to get it settled.
I can understand exactly how this happened. The laundry checks the name on the slip and if they are Elite, it's no charge. If they're not Elite, the name is charged. They don't keep track or look up who is in which cabin because the perk is for the person who is Elite. If you're not Elite and put your name and cabin # on the form, you'll be charged. Simple solution: put the name of the Elite person on the form.

I don't drink, can she use my wine tasting invitation?

We are both Elite and so get 2 invitations. My husband won't go anymore - I think it's fun. So on our last cruise I asked the Maitre D' if I could bring a friend with my husband's invitation - he said sure, no problem. :)

Re being worried about wearing the same item, just ask yourself 'what was xxx wearing two nights ago' normally the answer is 'I have no idea' so it's unlikely they can recall what you are wearing.

Regarding laundry, we had the benefit of free laundry last cruise but found some on our bill. We spoke with the Pursers desk and within a few hours this was all sorted, just check your bill periodically and question anything you don't think is right as soon as it appears and it gives them time to sort it out.

We are both Elite and so get 2 invitations. My husband won't go anymore - I think it's fun. So on our last cruise I asked the Maitre D' if I could bring a friend with my husband's invitation - he said sure, no problem. :)

We just go to the DR door & tell them we just want the shot glasses with having to sit through another wine ceremony. We just don't particularly like the types of wine they offer.

After 20 Princess cruises, I believe I have finally found a solution to bringing too many clothes. I do receive free laundry and take advantage of this perk. However, a few cruises ago, I centered my cruise wardrobe around three colors -- turquoise, white and black. I have several mixable items that I can combine and wind up with many outfits over the 10 day cruise. I, too, always thought, "People have seen me wear this two days ago". My husband's comment (before I wised up) was, "You'll never see these people again". I would think this idea would work with a man's wardrobe as well -- maybe a combo of tan, navy and another neutral to keep those outfits coming! JMHO

A few cruises ago, we stopped bringing the full complement of clothes. On Princess and Carnival, I do the laundry once or twice. On X, we send it out, except for a few things which I do in the sink. Half the luggage, half the hassle. I can't wait to be Elite. DH laughs at me when I tell him he must cruise more so that I can get free laundry. Nice guy that he is, he is willing to sacrifice just for me.

Every so often, I hear about people who do 10-15 day cruises with one carry on and I can't figure out how they do that, but good for them!

Ohiodoglover

Every so often, I hear about people who do 10-15 day cruises with one carry on and I can't figure out how they do that, but good for them!

Ohiodoglover

We do it all the time. No formal clothing of any sort & just mix regular clothing up from time to time. We wash of items in the sink & have a few items laundered. No problem.

1 22" bag for myself & 1 24" inch for my wife.

This is a new goal for us.

We do it all the time. No formal clothing of any sort & just mix regular clothing up from time to time. We wash of items in the sink & have a few items laundered. No problem.

1 22" bag for myself & 1 24" inch for my wife.

I met a couple on a 31-day cruise who brought just one carryon each. That was it. They had safari-type clothing, pants with legs that could be zipped off to create shorts, T-shirts, and jackets with arms that could be zipped off for a vest. They never ate in the dining room and no one cared that they were in the same clothes day-after-day. It was not a big deal.

A few cruises ago, we stopped bringing the full complement of clothes. On Princess and Carnival, I do the laundry once or twice. On X, we send it out, except for a few things which I do in the sink. Half the luggage, half the hassle. I can't wait to be Elite. DH laughs at me when I tell him he must cruise more so that I can get free laundry. Nice guy that he is, he is willing to sacrifice just for me.

Ohiodoglover

And then there's us....... We're hoping to do the next cruise with "just" 3 regular suitcases. :o

(And we're already Elite) I don't care what other people think about my clothes but I don't like the feeling of wanting to wear something that I know I have at home but don't have with me.

Also, snorkeling gear takes up most of one suitcase.

Now I am a bit paranoid that I will find myself explaining "Hey, I know I wore this red stripped shirt on Monday but really it was cleaned Tuesday..."

?

I seriously doubt that anyone will be keeping track of what you wear, even on formal night.

DON

I talked to a lady who was elite and shared a cabin with a gentleman who was not. He sent his clothes down to the laundry in her bags and discovered at the end of the cruise that they charged him. She went down to the desk to complain and they said "those charges were for men's clothing and since you were the only elite in the cabin and female, his clothing is not part of your perk."

I am doing better ever cruise. I also take black and white shorts and slacks and mix them with tops that go with both. And most of my tops are silk or some really light fabric . NOw, if you wear a real wild something, then people might remember it but I say "who cares".

I talked to a lady who was elite and shared a cabin with a gentleman who was not. He sent his clothes down to the laundry in her bags and discovered at the end of the cruise that they charged him. She went down to the desk to complain and they said "those charges were for men's clothing and since you were the only elite in the cabin and female, his clothing is not part of your perk."
That sounds right. Why would she complain? They weren't her clothes.

That sounds right. Why would she complain? They weren't her clothes.

I did say to her that it was her perk and not his but she got a little upset with me and said "he was sharing my room and he should not have had to pay for his laundry". There is no talking to people like that - I just tried to stay away from her after that.

I did say to her that it was her perk and not his but she got a little upset with me and said "he was sharing my room and he should not have had to pay for his laundry". There is no talking to people like that - I just tried to stay away from her after that.
::: sigh ::: yeah. :(

I agree with you relative the sexism issue. My husband and I have the same number of cruises, but two different last names. The various lines we travel on namely - Princess, HAL, Celebrity and Cunard - all seem to track his cruise history without any problem, mine is another story. I have had to work at keeping my history up to date.

DH and I have different last names and different loyalty program numbers with Princess. It has never been an issue for me keeping track of my cruises with Princess. It has been with HAL and also Viking.

Archived