Ladies Question-Jewelry Travel

WeLove2CruiseRCI

Ladies after 5 cruises I am building a collection of jewelry to wear on different nights in the MDR and specialty restaurants. What do you carry your jewelry in when cruising?

Sounds like you take a lot of jewelry and are very matchy matchy....

That's not my style. I wear my diamond earrings and watch all the time and I take a ruby ring and a diamond ring to wear if I dress to eat in the MDR. When they are not being worn, they are in a small velvet box in the safe.

Sounds like you take a lot of jewelry and are very matchy matchy....

Not really. Jewelry is lighter than clothing and you can have a different look with the same out fit just by changing the jewelry.

That's not my style. I wear my diamond earrings and watch all the time and I take a ruby ring and a diamond ring to wear if I dress to eat in the MDR. When they are not being worn, they are in a small velvet box in the safe.

Hi,

I use a draw string pouch which has little compartments inside for individual pieces.

Here is a picture of one like mine but in a different color:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cathayana-Jewelry-Pouch-Teal-checkered-brocade-pockets-NWT-CAT-JB13-TEAL-/270870403539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f112259d3

Thank you for the pic! Easy to carry and not tangle necklaces together.

I just bring a little of my better jewelry with me on a cruise.

I have a special case that I got from Magellans years ago. I keep that case in a special pocket that I made in my purse. The case is soft sided and fits nicely in the safe.

I will google Magellans and see what I can find. Thank you!

My husband is a very low key down to earth guy BUT he loves jewelry. I like to wear different things each day/night because he gave me most of it and enjoys seeing me wear it. It is really easy to carry and very light so takes little space. I don't take it if I am traveling alone to Europe on one of my solo trips but I DO take it when we are cruising together.:p;)

Ladies after 5 cruises I am building a collection of jewelry to wear on different nights in the MDR and specialty restaurants. What do you carry your jewelry in when cruising?

My safe at home! :p Seriously- I bring my watch, a couple of rings, a couple of pairs of earrings and a chain with a pendant or 2. Just too much risk to carry a lot of it around at once. I keep it in a small zippered pouch I got with some jewelry I bought in India.

My safe at home! :p Seriously- I bring my watch, a couple of rings, a couple of pairs of earrings and a chain with a pendant or 2. Just too much risk to carry a lot of it around at once. I keep it in a small zippered pouch I got with some jewelry I bought in India.

Same here. I generally leave the good stuff at home and travel with some decent looking costume jewelry...I do not want to risk theft of loss while traveling. I also do not wish to attract the attention of purse snatchers or pick pockets Or muggers when ashore.

Whatever pieces I bring with me, I pack in my carryon in a quilted cosmetic bag. It doesn't look like a jewelry case and if someone were to open my carryon, they would think it was lipstick and eyeliner etc and not think it was jewelry. ;)

Just for the record, :D, thought I'd add it was never used for cosmetic but I purchased it specifically for carrying jewelry as inconspicuously as possible.

I don't take much, either, but in St. Thomas there is a very small jewelry store that gives you a little pouch when making a purchase. It's perfect for cruises. Needless to say, I have a few of these now !!

Also, I find that my fingers swell in the heat during a cruise and I can't even wear my rings. So these go in the pouch as well, and in the safe.

Do you mean the various size silky sac with the snap that are pretty Chinese looking pattern? Or the drawstring pouches? I like both but think the pouches best for slides and pendants. The small silk snap sacs are great for earrings IMO

Same here. I generally leave the good stuff at home and travel with some decent looking costume jewelry...I do not want to risk theft of loss while traveling. I also do not wish to attract the attention of purse snatchers or pick pockets Or muggers when ashore.

You don't need to wear your jewelry when going ashore, but you can wear it on the ship. Why have it if it's not going to be worn? I have beautiful jewelry left to me by my mom, all gifts from dad, and I wear them on every cruise. They're insured, I never wear any jewelry off the ship, and I get a lot of pleasure when I wear the items. I even bring all the good stuff when I cruise alone.

Here's a tip to keep chains from tangling. I use plastic straws, open the clasp of the chain and thread one half the chain through the straw, keeping the other half of the chain outside the straw. I then rehook the chain outside the straw. Never had a problem with tangled chains since I started doing that. I then put all the straws/chains into a rolling jewelry holder.

I use a cosmetic bag which is part of a set I got as a gift. Small things like earrings are in little plastic containers that are actually for beads - I found them in the crafts section of Walmart. And it's all costume jewelry - I don't have any really expensive stuff.

The little 2" and 3" ziplocs are great for rings/pendants/pair of earrings etc especially if they have gemstones. Keeps them from scratching against something else that might be in our jewelry case.

Hopefully everyone remembers to store their jewelry in their safe to keep it secure.

Y

Here's a tip to keep chains from tangling. I use plastic straws, open the clasp of the chain and thread one half the chain through the straw, keeping the other half of the chain outside the straw. I then rehook the chain outside the straw. Never had a problem with tangled chains since I started doing that. I then put all the straws/chains into a rolling jewelry holder.

:) Great tip! I never would have thought of that but I have one heck of a problem getting chains untangled! Straws ready for next cruise! :D Thanks for posting!

Archived