What are your 3 favorite European ports?

lovevacadays

Copenhagen, Rome and Athens.

We love lots of other European cities but some are not pors such as Paris and Madrid.

Lisbon is great and we docked right in the heart of the city.

Mykenos

Amsterdam

London

Venice

Malaga

All are GREAT places to visit. IMO

Villefranche. It was beautiful. We walked to a beach and swam. Ate gelato at a roadside stand. Sat on the balcony and just enjoyed the scenery. Took a little train for 6 euros each that took us up the hill. We decided to spend the money so we could hear a bit about the area..surprise on us- it was in three languages but not English. Just a wonderful little place.

Rome. Who could not love Rome? We loved the drive into the city. Used a private tour ( Romeinlimo) We saw so much. Ate pizza at a stand up cafe. Threw coins in the fountain. I so want to go back.

Barcelona. So much to see. Only regret is that we did not find a wonderful restaurant.( We stayed one might post cruise. We should have stayed two at least). Las Ramblas was so fun.

We loved the trip. Loved all the ports. Azores, Malaga, Cadiz, Florence, Corsica. I would do this same cruise again.

1. Rome

2. Rome

3. Rome

Just kidding (sort of); I love that place. Other favorites would have to be Istanbul, and Athens. History is where it's at for me, and these cities all feed my fix.

I would also include Kusadasi in my top places, but although it's a fixture on Med cruises, it's not in Europe.

Bergen and Oslo, Norway,(although I don't think the big ships go in there). Norway is a lovely country, all along the coast line. Dover, England -- a smallish town but lots to see there; among the sites, the white cliffs of Dover.

This might be worth a read: http://www.europeportreviews.com/

What is one person's dream port my not be another's cup of tea. Europe is all about picking the "best" ports, as to what is "best" is very personal!

For us the big three

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Florence (Livorno)

Venice

The suprising 2

Istanbul

Kusadasi

YMMV

My friends and I trying to plan a cruise to Europe in 2013. We are back and forth on which area we want to go.

What are your 3 favorite European ports and why?

1. Vence - Sailing into and out Venice, via the Grand Canal, is awesome.

2. Lisbon - Great sights and the second best sailaway from a European port.

3. Florence - Florencce based exccursions to the Tuscan wine country are absolutely beautiful.....:):):)

Bob

Istanbul, Monte Carlo, Santorini. All pretty much for the same reason. The sites are all walkable from the pier, they are all unique and interesting, they are exciting, interesting, historical and a delightful place to spend a day!

When people cite Livorno, I assume they mean to go to Florence or other places in Tuscany from the port. Livorno itself is, uh, nothing special.

A lot of people might not get this, but we actually chose not to do Florence; we went to Lucca and then went on a wine tour. Beautiful, relaxing day.

Venice- for the beauty of sail-in and/or out

Florence- to enable tours in Tuscany for the sights, the wine, the food

Santorini- to take the bus to Oia. What a glorious sight!

Naples- got to the Amalfi coast and/or Capri and/or Pompeii

That is 4 and I could go on and on because when I start remembering the ports I have visited, each one comes with great memories.

Ciao,

Nikki

On a cruise I most enjoy the ports where I'm where I want to be as I walk off the ship. Rome is my favorite place on earth, but not one of my top ports simply due to the distance from Civitavecchia.

It's hard to narrow down to three, and I've not cruised to Greece yet! Of those I have visited, my favorites are:

• Barcelona for its amazing architecture and art, all an easy bus or cab ride from the port
  • Naples, for history, architecture, art and food, all walking distance from the port
  • Amsterdam, again for architecture, history and art just steps from the cruise port

I love all euro ports and it's true Venice is amazing, however I have done the rome, florence, barcelona, naples cruise 7x's because I always find something different. Naples yo can go to Pompeii and Poistano which is incredible or capri or sorrento or even naples itself. Rome you can do Rome or Lucca Barcelona you can go to Montserrat or just stay in Barcelona. Anyway you go you cant go wrong. Search all over this site and have fun

Archived