Anyone else bothered by door slamming noise?

librarygal

BA BOOM! This was the sounds of the slamming doors from the neighbors all around us pretty much 24/7 throughout our 7 night cruise. As I layed in bed I was on edge constantly that I would be woken by the sounds of slamming doors, so it was hard to fall alsleep. One night as I laid there all keyed up from the noise I heard a door slam maybe 50 times during the night.

You would think that a cruiseship would have a variety of fan settings that would create white noise, as well as effective soundproofing materials in the ship construction. The whole nature of cruising encouraging noise with activities all at hours and narrow hallways and people living so close together.

Our ship, The Splendour of the Seas on Royal Carribbean, had no fan that causes white noise or any sound proofing at all. I could also hear the conversations clearly out in the hall and from our next door neighbors on both sides. Both liked to talk to their cabinmates all night!

So, how was the sound proofing on your ship and did you hear lots of door slamming noise?

On the cruises I've been on this only happened occasionally, and usually early in the morning as people were getting up and out for excursions. Usually the first night in any strange environment I have a hard time getting to sleep, but after that, I've been so busy during the day that the bed is very inviting, and I don't waken until the clock goes off in the morning! :)

Im a very very light sleeper, but so far I have not heard any doors slam and really never heard anyone in the hallway if I was in my room.

I do not think any of the main stream cruise lines has fans in the rooms, but I have read on here where people have bought small white noise fans or used white noise apps on their Iphones.

If the balcony door is open, the suction will cause the hallway door to slam, and slam HARD! There's very little that can stop it! I've had the door pulled right from my hand when hubby has the balcony door open and I open the hallway door....

Some folks just don't take care...but sometimes, it can't be helped!

If the balcony door is open, the suction will cause the hallway door to slam, and slam HARD! There's very little that can stop it! I've had the door pulled right from my hand when hubby has the balcony door open and I open the hallway door....

Some folks just don't take care...but sometimes, it can't be helped!

Just one of several reasons why people should not keep their balcony door held open with a bungee cord or doorstop. It definitely creates a wind tunnel!:eek:

This gets me so angry...people being so inconsiderate.

I've been known to get out of bed and tell the people

just how inconsiderate they are.

On our recent cruise, there was a family in the cabin next to us whose elderly mother (or mother-in-law) was a little hard of hearing and also had to use a wheelchair. Occasionally, if we happened to be in our cabin when our neighbors were either coming in or going out of their cabin, we could hear someone talking to her in a louder than normal voice. It never once occurred to me to complain to them. I guess it just depends on the circumstances.

We have been cruising for over 40 years and that noise from adjoining cabins was quite common on older ships. The new ships are more soundproof but on our last cruise we were below the Lido deck and we could hear furniture being moved during the evening hours.

We learmed in our earlier cruise days to bring ear plugs and eye masks.

~Doris~

I was once in a cabin that was under a heavy door on the deck above. It was one of those doors that is normally held open by a magnetic security switch, but the switch was broken. And that thing when SLAM!!! when people walked through it.

Wasn't the end of the world, but I now check deckplans carefully to avoid a repeat situation.

The most noise we have had was on Princess -- the 4 year old next door to us had play time time from 11 PM until 3 AM!!

We called the front desk and they came up and asked the couple to keep the boy more quiet. We were informed by this person that there was nothing they really could do about it because the couple were friends of the Captain.

10 days of very little sleep.

We needed a vacation to recover from our vacation.

I've only experienced it occasionally on a cruise ship, but got it in SPADES at a hotel recently! The people across the hall had obviously "snuck" in some friends, there were about ten of them in the room. Okay fine, I don't care. But they kept going in and out, in and out, every time the door slamming, then they'd come back and bang on the door, then someone would open it, and it would slam again. Then back out again. Eeek!

This is why I NEVER travel without earplugs. Ever. And an eye mask, too.

Dear OP, you and I are in the same boat -- slamming doors is my BIG pet peeve whenever I travel -- whether land or sea. Bottom line: It is inconsiderate people, especially late at night and early morning. No excuse, just no consideration for others.

I've heard doors, rarely. And if I hear anything more than once I try to nicely and with humor mention it to the people making the noise. While some people don't care, most would prefer not to bother anyone, and just don't realize what noises carry.

BUT... you can also buy a small white noise generator to travel with. Or if you don't want to carry an extra piece of electrical equipment, Droids and I'm sure iPhones can download white noise Apps, which are more than adequate for occasional use.

They have a variety of noises, and you can set it to run a specific amount of time and then turn off. You can download the sounds before you leave and you don't need to be connected to run the app so there's no charge.

Anyone who is a sensitive sleeper, might want to consider taking proactive steps to mask the noises rather than lying there being miserable, and then yelling at people after they've let it bother them too long.

Sailed with Royal Caribbean 3 times, I am sure I would remember hearing the doors slammed. Didn't even hear people in the cabins on both sides of ours! In the hallway, yes. On one ship we were under a restaurant, heard them moving the furniter - not loud, just heard.

Did you eavesdrop, where were they talking about? :p

OP, yes absolutely this is a problem, particularly bad on Oasis of the Seas where the doors open out into the hallway as opposed to inward. Very noisy indeed. As stated, some people are inconsiderate and don't care, but other times the wind does catch the door if the balcony door is open. We try to be considerate, since it does bother us when others do it.

Sounds like you were on a cruise with a lot of folks who have never cruised before and/or where there were a lot of kids running in and out.

We have cruised 45+ times on 8 different lines never had any problem to the extent you are talking about.

Did experience something similar at the Marriott at the port in Ft Lauderdale once, we checked out the following day and went to the Embassy Suites down the street. Also another time at the Hyatt in Miami when they had a hotel full of 13 year old boys who were jumping up and down and running in and out all night. We should have asked for a refund both times, we didn't.

OP, yes absolutely this is a problem, particularly bad on Oasis of the Seas where the doors open out into the hallway as opposed to inward. Very noisy indeed. As stated, some people are inconsiderate and don't care, but other times the wind does catch the door if the balcony door is open. We try to be considerate, since it does bother us when others do it.

On Oasis, in the regular balcony cabins (don't know about other rooms) there are little alcoves all up & down the main hallway, and the doors for two cabins are side by side inside each alcove.

On our cruise, the cabin next door was two parents and two preteen children. Grandma a few doors down in an inside. There was constant traffic between the cabins, all day & into the night. Usually stopped by midnight, though. Bam! Bam! Bam! all the time, very annoying, and way too loud for any white noise machine to cover up.

I did mention it to the steward, nothing she could do other than apologize.

I think the doors have the same set-up on Allure, but I don't remember. We didn't have kids next door to us with Grandma down the hall!

I hear ya, OP. DW and I once made the mistake of booking a forward cabin adjacent to a communal balcony under the bridge. The access door to the area was forward facing and armed with a mighty spring/closure device. Not only was this well used by pax, it was also the stealthy smoking area of choice for most of the crew. :mad: The 24/7 slamming was terrible. Lesson learned for us, and never again.

We took a spring break cruise this year on a Carnival ship. I did not notice door slamming, but I did notice people talking too loudly after midnight. The first night we were on the ship, someone banged on our door after midnight. He had the wrong room. But it startled DH since his mother was in the cabin next to ours. He thought something was wrong with her. The next night I had to go out into the corridor to tell the teenagers who had congregated there to take it to their rooms. They quieted down after that.

Archived