Last day or next day flight?

maui65

I am wondering if I should book to fly home the day the cruise ends .. or go to hotel and fly the next day?! I will be flying from Florida to CA so it will be a long flight. What time do ppl leave the ship on the last day?

Totally your decision. Not sure what airports you are referring to, but we did FLL-SFO last December, getting to SFO about 8pm. We could have done an earlier connection (at Houston), but didn't think we could rush it. That would have gotten us in at about 6:30. It was a 11:45 departure from FLL. Remember you gain time going west.

You shouldn't plan on getting off the ship before 7:30. You might be able to, but don't plan on it.

These topics are discussed daily on the Florida Departures board.

Hi, maui65, and welcome to CC!

I am wondering if I should book to fly home the day the cruise ends .. or go to hotel and fly the next day?!
You don't say where you're flying from or to, or on which date. But looking at a random date, you can depart Miami at 2 pm and still get to California (I'm looking at San Francisco) before 8 pm - and that's with one connection.

I'd bet that most people in your position would fly home the same day if they're not planning an extended post-cruise stay.

If you're concerned about possible delays, then (assuming that you're flying from California to Florida to start your cruise) you do want to think harder about whether you'd fly to Florida to arrive the day or evening before the cruise starts. That's likely to be the more time-critical part of the air travel.

We usually get a 1:30pm flight back to LAX from FLL that connects in ATL as we fly DL on end day of cruise..Works out well for us..When the cruise is over I'm anxious to get on a plane and get home at that point. We get off the ship between 9:30-10:00am no need to rush.

We usually fly home the same day from a U.S. port. If you are flying from Miami, American (our airline of choice because I have lifetime status) has a few nonstops. From FLL, you would have to connect somewhere unless you leave late in the afternoon.

I wouldn't book anything before noon from MIA, 1:00 if you are sailing from Port Everglades and flying from MIA. Coming into Port Everglades and sailing from FLL, I'd book noon-ish just because I hate to rush off the ship.

From Port Canaveral, there's a 1:00-ish nonstop to LAX that's easy to make. From Tampa, I'm booked on a 12:05 connecting through DFW that will get me to LAX at 5:00.

Now, if you are coming off a transatlantic cruise, I would book a late afternoon flight, but I'd still go home the same day.

It is a personal decision.

Which port are you arriving to and which airport to you plan to fly home from.

On a related note be sure to avoid flying in the day of the cruise as you run the risk of missing the ship if your flight is delayed or cancelled.

Keith

I am wondering if I should book to fly home the day the cruise ends .. or go to hotel and fly the next day?! I will be flying from Florida to CA so it will be a long flight. What time do ppl leave the ship on the last day?

Welcome to CC!

Thank you all, his board is so full of incredibly helpful info. This will be my first cruise and I'm so very excited... 7 days in the Carribean! We will be flying into Orlando 2 days prior to the boarding actually..... I have a cousin in Orlando that I plan to visit there. We will then board in Port Canaveral April 7th.

I live in So. Oregon and we were thinking we could fly to either LAX or SFO, then to MCO. I was looking at RCI Choice Air (plus hotel package) but holy toledo, the prices jumped almost double in 2 days!! I'd think because of the holidays, but April is after them, odd?! Do you think after the new year would be a better time to arrange flight/hotel?

Thank you all, his board is so full of incredibly helpful info. This will be my first cruise and I'm so very excited... 7 days in the Carribean! We will be flying into Orlando 2 days prior to the boarding actually..... I have a cousin in Orlando that I plan to visit there. We will then board in Port Canaveral April 7th.

I live in So. Oregon and we were thinking we could fly to either LAX or SFO, then to MCO. I was looking at RCI Choice Air (plus hotel package) but holy toledo, the prices jumped almost double in 2 days!! I'd think because of the holidays, but April is after them, odd?! Do you think after the new year would be a better time to arrange flight/hotel?

A few thoughts:

1. Is there some reason you are planning to fly via California? LAX and SFO are not the only places you can connect. I haven't looked at flight routes/schedules, but you might be able to get a Delta flight through Salt Lake City, or a Southwest flight through Denver, or some other option. Just a thought, that might open up more possibilities.

2. The only time I looked at booking a hotel through the cruise line, we found that it was a fraction of the cost if we booked it ourselves, largely because the hotel cost charged by the cruise line was PER PERSON, not PER ROOM.

3. You mention boarding the ship on April 7, but plan to fly into FL on April 5. Easter is March 31, and many school districts will have Easter break the week AFTER Easter, so that entire week will be a busy one for flights, and when demand is up, so are prices.

April is expensive because it is Spring Break, and the cheap seats were sold long ago.

As Waterbug123 said, book your own flights and hotel. You will most likely save a nice chunk of change, particularly on the hotel.

A few thoughts:

1. Is there some reason you are planning to fly via California? LAX and SFO are not the only places you can connect. I haven't looked at flight routes/schedules, but you might be able to get a Delta flight through Salt Lake City, or a Southwest flight through Denver, or some other option. Just a thought, that might open up more possibilities.

2. The only time I looked at booking a hotel through the cruise line, we found that it was a fraction of the cost if we booked it ourselves, largely because the hotel cost charged by the cruise line was PER PERSON, not PER ROOM.

3. You mention boarding the ship on April 7, but plan to fly into FL on April 5. Easter is March 31, and many school districts will have Easter break the week AFTER Easter, so that entire week will be a busy one for flights, and when demand is up, so are prices.

1. The only reason I said we'd fly to LAX or SFO first is because that is what I saw that Choice Air would do it we flew with them. I would prefer using them only because i have experienced all of the airline nightmares (lost luggage, down flights, losing connections, etc.) that can happen booking a cheaper do-yourslf flight in the past. So for peace-of-mind I decided to book through them for this cruise. I liked their, "We will take carte of it for you" guarantee.

2. The only reason that I was going to book hotel package with the cruise line was because of the transfers being included. Isn't taxis to-from airpor and to the port expensive too?

3. And ugh, I completely forgot it will be easter break.

1. The only reason I said we'd fly to LAX or SFO first is because that is what I saw that Choice Air would do it we flew with them. I would prefer using them only because i have experienced all of the airline nightmares (lost luggage, down flights, losing connections, etc.) that can happen booking a cheaper do-yourslf flight in the past. So for peace-of-mind I decided to book through them for this cruise. I liked their, "We will take carte of it for you" guarantee.

2. The only reason that I was going to book hotel package with the cruise line was because of the transfers being included. Isn't taxis to-from airpor and to the port expensive too?

3. And ugh, I completely forgot it will be easter break.

1. Booking through Choice Air does not eliminate the possibility of encountering the problems you enumerate - they simply offer assistance in case of problems. You are flying the same planes, using the same airports and passing your luggage to the same handlers as those who purchased their tickets on their own. Personally, I'd be playing around with http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ to see what's on offer, then booking directly with the airline.

2. You can purchase transfers separately, without having to reserve your hotel through the cruise line. Although, with a Port Canaveral embarkation, most recommend renting a car for the to/from MCO.

3. Sorry, can't help with that one... :)

Define expensive...

Transfers and hotels booked on your own are almost always cheaper than booked thru the cruise line. Why? Because the cruise line charges per person for hotel and transfers. No hotel charges per person. The rates quoted for hotels per person are frequently close to what you can get the room for double occupancy. Historically, that used to include transport to the ship from the hotel, but still the rate is too high.

Other transfers are also not a good deal. For example, the per person transfer rate from ship to airport in Fort Launderdale is usually $17-25. A taxi for two people, or even a van taxi for 5 or 6 is $15, before tip.

Orlando to Port Caniveral is one location I would consider ship's transfers, as it is over 45 minutes drive. But you can still do it cheaper on your own.

Please understand, Choice Air offers NO GUARANTEES. Read the verbiage again. It says things like "work with the airlines," "do what we can," etc. It makes it sound like a guarantee but it is not. Anecdotal stories vary as the effectiveness of their help, but even in a best-case scenario, there are things that will be completely out of the control of Choice Air. If your bags are lost, they're lost. I doubt there's much more Choice Air can do about that than what you and/or the airline would do in that case anyway. Choice Air cannot magically make your bags appear. Sure, they may assist in getting you rebooked in the event of flight irregularities, but some Choice Air tickets have strict limits on rebooking options, limits that may be greater than what would exist if you'd booked the flight yourself. Do a search in this forum for consolidator tickets if you want to read more about that. The point is, don't be misled into thinking they are making any guarantees, because they aren't. Use them if you like, but understand exactly what you are getting and what you are not getting.

1. Booking through Choice Air does not eliminate the possibility of encountering the problems you enumerate - they simply offer assistance in case of problems. You are flying the same planes, using the same airports and passing your luggage to the same handlers as those who purchased their tickets on their own. Personally, I'd be playing around with http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ to see what's on offer, then booking directly with the airline.

Wow... thank you! I have never heard of this matrix site, but think I will look into doing this myself. It does look "a lot" cheaper then through Choice Air. And yes, that PER PERSON price for the hotel bothered me. I'll do that on my own as well.

The cruiseline is a booking agent only. They are a middle man who has NOTHING to do with your flight delays, lost luggage etc. That is direct with any airline.

It can also work against you. Several people on a cruise I just got back from missed their cruise. Cruise air was not able to find any alternative flights due to Sandy. Some people would have fared much better dealing with the airlines direct and changing their flights to getting out days prior, which with phone tag involving the cruiselines didn't happen.

I've never had a desire to hang around with a suitcase full of dirty clothes for another day AFTER my vacation....go home the day the cruise ends! You will be off the ship no later than 10 am in almost ALL cases! Plan accordingly!

I would capitalize almost rather than all; we have been as late as 12:10PM. :(

Archived