Late for Dinner Seating

Hi! I have a question about the "protocol" regarding being late for the dinner seating.

We have an upcoming cruise with the Early seating...we're also looking at an excursion that will take us to about 4pm...I was hoping to do a quick look around port (Portland, ME) and then going back to get ready for Dinner...

I'm not usually that "late" person but I also dont want to stress. We enjoy the Main Dining Room but dont want to cause any problems.

Is there an acceptable time to be "late"?

Thanks!

If you are going to be very late, later than 10 minutes, go elsewhere. Even if you have your own table, the other tables in your waiters section suffer when another table's party is late.

Absolutely agreed. I was going to say 15 minutes maximum but even that is pushing it. As stated, the wait staff have things timed. Of course they will act like they are glad to see you and will be welcoming to you, but in reality they are probably screaming inside their heads. ;):D

There are absolutely other options for dinner if you think you may be late one evening. :)

I agree with the 10 minutes or more, go elsewhere theory. I would also let my servers know I wouldnt be there that night so they wouldnt be expecting me. OR, just sign up for MTD and go to dinner anytime you feel like it.

Ive often read here of the "good ol days" when they would close the doors to the MDR after a certain time and you were out of luck if you were late! :eek: Not near the alternative dining options back then either!

I remember when our tablemates were shut out of the MDR at the 15 minute mark. Instead of being angry about it the next night, they apologized abjectly to the waiters and to the rest of us. Too many pre dinner drinks.

If you think you're going to be late, tell everyone the night before to begin without you and you'll do your best not to be too late. If the waiters know what to expect, they will be prepared. Maybe you can skip the soup/salad/appetizer and just do entree and dessert.

Hi! I have a question about the "protocol" regarding being late for the dinner seating.

We have an upcoming cruise with the Early seating...we're also looking at an excursion that will take us to about 4pm...I was hoping to do a quick look around port (Portland, ME) and then going back to get ready for Dinner...

I'm not usually that "late" person but I also dont want to stress. We enjoy the Main Dining Room but dont want to cause any problems.

Thanks!

not really. the table will not get served until everyone shows unless the waitstaff knows ahead of time you will not be there.

Thanks!

Portland? Surely you will be luxuriating in a lobster lunch?

Just plan on a snack in the Windjammer.

:)

No worries...you won't be late.....you will have to be ON the ship 1/2 hour prior to sailaway, and that will give you plenty of time to get there.

It's never acceptable to be late to anything.

Why do you keep giving false information? If you don't know what you are talking about, DON'T TALK.

The ship is in port at Portland, Maine until 7.

Your "advice" won't help cathysmom get to early seating on time.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your feedback...

We're traveling with a little group so the "My Time" doesnt work.

We have the early sitting and there are 2 ports that have a late departure so it can conflict with the dinner seating...

And being in Lobster county we wont starve....

But just so everyone knows...I am not one of those "late" arrival folks...I am the one who is usually sitting in the lounge waiting for my fellow cruisers. And because I'm not a late person I figured I'd ask so I know how to plan.

Now...if I can only choose which of the many things to do when at each port!!

On our most recent cruise we often saw the menu for the next night while eating our desserts (one at the table had alergies). If you think you will be late, ask for the next night menu and plan ahead...let them know you will skip salad/appetizer and maybe even let someone know the entree you want. I know I would be perfectly willing to order for someone if they thought they would be a little late.

I will also add that I would have no objection to a late arrival in a situation like this. In my eyes it is FAR better and acceptable to help a new friend than to send someone to a buffet over a nice dinner. Of course, I was raised and still live in Texas...maybe we are just more accomodating.

If you have your own table I would say up to 30 minutes. If sharing a table no more then 15 minutes.

Inform your wait staff the night before that you may be late.

Have disagree with you on this one....30 minutes is without a doubt VERY late be it your own table or a shared table.:rolleyes:

Have disagree with you on this one....30 minutes is without a doubt VERY late be it your own table or a shared table.:rolleyes:

Agree! We were on the Serenade a few years ago and it was the only time that we somehow wound up with a table to two. There was a family in the same section that was always 20 to 30 minutes late. Even though our service was started on time, we always got our dessert together -- one table or group can hold up an entire section. :mad:

We've been cruising long enough to remember the dinning room doors being closed 15 minutes after the scheduled dinner time. I wish they would bring that back, and yes, there were very few other options.

OP mentions they have early seating

there is much less time flex when you have early, because the staff needs you to get out so they can reset.

On the other hand with late seating we've sometime looked up from wonderful conversation over dessert and coffee with our new found table friends, and found ourselves the last ones in the dining room. All the other tables were set for breakfast while our servers patiently waited for us to finish.

I feel bad when we do that and express my regret in a special tip .... but point is there IS a difference if they need the table for another party . . . which is why I don't like 'my time' .... that's just restaurant seating to me ... not 'cruise seating'

In the classic days of cruising the First class NEVER ate at first seating ... second seating was reserved for them.

Well, problem is solved for Portland....the 12:00 excursion has now become a 2pm one....and it says 2p-6:15p....so....buffet or room service it is! Wonder if we can join the party for dessert? I'll see how it goes and let the waiters invite if they think its ok...

I don't plan to stress and don't plan to be a burden either. I was born & raised in New York by some pretty good parents. All will be well!

Thanks again!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You could definitely join your table for dessert. We often have dinner in a specialty restaurant on the last night but book early enough to join our tablemates for coffee and goodbyes to them and our servers. However, we do late seating. With early seating, they need to get the dining room cleared out for the next seating so lingering over dessert is usually not encouraged. We've done early when the grandkids were younger but didn't care for it.

Why do you keep giving false information? If you don't know what you are talking about, DON'T TALK.

The ship is in port at Portland, Maine until 7.

Your "advice" won't help cathysmom get to early seating on time.

:rolleyes:

I think she just doesn't think or care about the info she regurgitates over and over and over. It's sad, really. I totally agree with the:rolleyes: .

I think she just doesn't think or care about the info she regurgitates over and over and over. It's sad, really. I totally agree with the:rolleyes: .

Also never returns to a thread, so maybe she doesn't even KNOW that what she posts is off the wall, especially since she posts the same misinformation time and time again.

When we were on Jamaica our excursion arrived back very late and we were not on board till 6:00ish.

We just ordered room service.

However our server was upset he thought he did something wrong and we went somewhere else to eat because we were mad.

Hind sight, we should have called the dining hall even though it was well after first seating and let him know.

We would not have been able to let him know we were not coming ahead of time because we were suppossed to be back by 3pm. and never made it back till 6.

Sea Ya

I commend you on your thoughtfulness... to your server, dining room staff and your table mates!! How wonderful!!! We just got off a cruise that the first night our table mates (a delightful honeymoon couple) showed up 45 minutes late to dinner. The really didn't know that they were expect to be there at 5:45. I was surprised they were seated... but our server and head waiter worked it all out. We explained the "time" and for the rest of the cruise they were there on time... During the cruise we noted many people coming into the dining room late. They used to shut the doors... but I guess that has changed in recent years.

We did notice on the late port day the dining room was pretty much empty. The family that also sat at our table missed that day, but did tell the server the night before they would be ashore too late to make dinner. The head waiter said they could make MTD reservations at a later time or just stop by MTD and see if a table was available or go to the Windjammer, or other venues around the ship. They ended up in the Windjammer that night and enjoyed not having to rush getting ready for dinner.

There are so many choices. I'm sure you could join your table for dessert. My only suggestion is that you do let your server know you won't be at the table or that you will be attempting to join them for dessert.

Whatever you decide to do... enjoy!!! The staff will do everything possible to accommodate you and offer you the best experience possible!!

Wishing you fair winds and calm seas!!! We loved our NE cruise a few years ago!!

Archived