do seabands really work

momof3terriers

Wondering are they worth the money? My cruise is 6 days long can one band be used the whole time?

They work for people who believe they work - and they really do not wear out because there is nothing in them to wear out. Because chronic seasickness is really very rare (most people get acclimated to the motion and come to really enjoy it) - but a lot of people convince themselves that they will always experience it - and succeed in talking themselves into it.

Anything that helps you get over it "works" - actual medications do really work by suppressing symptoms - but continually using them effectively prevents your becoming acclimated. But when it comes to sea bands, I know people who maintain that wearing a bit of banana peel in your left sock works just as well. I think they are right, but would add that patting the top of your head works just as well, and is less messy.

Did not work for me or my DH.

We sailed the Disney Magic on the backside of a mild Hurricaine, and the small shape even with stabilizers, well, rocked.

DH...........sick.........not pretty.

Me..........sick.....but tolerated.

Now we do the big guns.

Scop patches prescribed by our family doctor.

Yeah it has some side effects, dry mouth, light sensitivity, but, it works for us.

Sea Ya

They work for people who believe they work - and they really do not wear out because there is nothing in them to wear out. Because chronic seasickness is really very rare (most people get acclimated to the motion and come to really enjoy it) - but a lot of people convince themselves that they will always experience it - and succeed in talking themselves into it.

Anything that helps you get over it "works" - actual medications do really work by suppressing symptoms - but continually using them effectively prevents your becoming acclimated. But when it comes to sea bands, I know people who maintain that wearing a bit of banana peel in your left sock works just as well. I think they are right, but would add that patting the top of your head works just as well, and is less messy.

DH wears them to fly with and we've thrown out several pair which got stretched out.

We never wear them on the ships as we don't usually get seasick.

I have a prophylactic Rx from my doctor we can use if we have an inkling we are getting a bit queasy. Works great.

Our best friends have the wife who always gets seasick but her family loves to cruise and the husband is M.D.

He had prescribed everything you can imagine for her to try and nothing worked but she was a good sport and kept trying so her family could go on their vacation of choice. One day he overheard us on the phone talking about wrist bands. He scoffed at us and laughed. I asked wife to put him on the phone and asked "Is there any way they can hurt her?" Him: "No, of course, Not." Me: "Then quiet down, tell her to try them and see what happens. Nothing to lose" Nothing you have prescribed has been so marvelous." Him: "You're right".

She used them on their next cruise and has sailed a number of times since including two more times with us. She sometimes gets a tiny bit queasy but is worlds better than she ever was with all his Rx.

Try them. Put them on according to placement directions. Always wear on both wrists and put them on before ship sails. Sleep in them and wear them at all times on the ship.

Royal Navy used to (and may still) issue them to sailors. They cannot hurt you and just might help.

Nothing to lose by trying. They are inexpensive, safe and widely available.

The answer is it depends. The manufacturer even says it works for 50% of the people and you won't know if that is you until you use them. You could get the sea bands and also bring some other remedy with you. While if the sea bands don't work you could use the other remedy such as Bonine, the issue is Bonine needs to be taken before you are sea sick and not while you are sea sick. I suppose you could also bring some other over the counter item such as ginger capsules.

Keith

The answer is it depends. The manufacturer even says it works for 50% of the people and you won't know if that is you until you use them. You could get the sea bands and also bring some other remedy with you. While if the sea bands don't work you could use the other remedy such as Bonine, the issue is Bonine needs to be taken before you are sea sick and not while you are sea sick. I suppose you could also bring some other over the counter item such as ginger capsules.

Keith

Not only did they not work...they are a waste of money, tight and uncomfortable, and unattractive....The raspberry flavored chewable Bonine worked great..JMHO

What Keith said about the 50%.

Problem with Bonine, is even though it's marketed as "non-drowsy", it does put a good percentage people to sleep. If you don't want to risk sleeping through your cruise, take some before you travel and see how it affects you.

Thanks for the advice, I will go to my family doc and get the patches for that just in case.

Do not do this. Unless you already know that you get seasick, wearing the patch will put too much medication in your body & make you sicker.

Talk to your doctor about the side effects.

I think the sea bands work. I wear them to sleep when the waters are very rough.

I would recommend that you try the OTC remedies like bonine or Dramamine before prescription meds.

I would always prefer a natural remedy like sea bands before I stuck more chemicals in my system. You also need to know how your body will react to anti-seasick meds & alcohol if you care to indulge.

I love the seabands. They do work. They are non-medicated and work on acupressure (similar idea to acupuncture, but no needles).

I have a problem with some of the OTC meds as they make me drowsy (even the ones that state that they don't make you drowsy). I prefer to enjoy my cruise awake and alert as opposed to drowsy so I don't take the bonine nor dramamine.

The patch is prescription and has too many side effects that concern me as far as enjoying my cruise - so i don't use that either.

The seabands should really go on your wrists before the ship starts moving. If the seas are calm (such as in the Carib when no storms are in the Carib), then you can try taking them off and see if you get queasy. If you do, PUT THEM BACK ON IMMEDIATELY and you will feel better after a while.

You can shower in them, wear them in the pool, etc. I will take them off in port, but then I have to remember to put them back on before the ship sails.

I do not know if it is a placebo effect or not - but if it works, it doesn't matter. :)

Seabands work on some people. They use accupressure, a well researched and proven ancient homeopathy that even many MD's believe serves a purpose alongside modern medicine.

They work for me--not just because I think they do--but only to an extent. I've taken three cruises with them and three without, and a couple times on the without I wished I had brought them. My experience has been that it reduces the feeling of seasickness, but does not completely eradicate it.

As another poster mentioned, the trick is to put them on before you start feeling the effects of the waves.

Personally I think they are worth the try--especially if typical pharmaceutical remedies are contraindicated for you for whatever reason.

YES, they work for me. They worked during my pregnancies, during cruises, and now during my chemotherapy. A great non-medicinal way of helping to control nausea. Little investment. Yes, wear both and position them correctly per the instructions, and do not wear them to sleep.

Have a great cruise.

Used them on 2 long cruises-no problems with seasickness. No drowsiness. Just put them on wrists for the bead to touch the pressure point on wrist.

Wash them after one cruise and they are good for another. Available at most common drug stores, Walgreens, CVS, etc only about $8 a pair.

YES, they work for me. They worked during my pregnancies, during cruises, and now during my chemotherapy. A great non-medicinal way of helping to control nausea. Little investment. Yes, wear both and position them correctly per the instructions, and do not wear them to sleep.

Have a great cruise.

So happy to hear the relief the seabands have provided you.

I am curious though why you say not to sleep in them? :confused:

Archived