Is Princess a part of Carnival

Cruisefriends

We have been on Carnival, not Princess. Can you tell me your thoughts...

We did our second trip to Alaska on the Golden Princess. We were very happy with our trip.

A few of the differences that we noticed were that on Carnival you're constantly being asked to buy something. Princess didn't hound us. My husband says that on Carnival there were always cameras in your face (during meals, etc. etc.) and he didn't recall being "harassed" like that on Carnival. There were a few others but nothing huge.

The only thing about Princess that didn't "wow" us was the entertainment was more "mature". We're 40 - so we're not young 20 year olds that are looking for the crude, vulgar shows, etc. We just recall that one of the nightly shows (can't remember what they're called. I'm drawing a blank.) was a montage of music and most of it was from long before our time. I am sure that they offered great shows - but for us we weren't interested and left.

We'd cruise Princess again. (We had a mini-suite going to Alaska)

If we were going to Alaska again we'd actually choose NCL over Princess.

That's just our experience and 2 cents.

Carnival Corp owns many brands, including Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess, Holland America, Costa, and Aida (I'm sure I'm missing a couple).

The lines are run independently.

Also Cunard and Seabourn

Carnival Corp owns many brands, including Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess, Holland America, Costa, and Aida (I'm sure I'm missing a couple).

The lines are run independently.

Also Cunard and Seabourn

And P&O (UK), P&O (Australia), and Ibero Cruises!

Is a publically traded company that is the parent corporation for all of the lines listed above. It is the largest such company in the world followed by Royal Caribbean who owns such brands as Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara to name a few.

Carnival comprises eleven individual cruise line brands, operating a combined fleet of over 100 ships, totalling over 190,000 lower berths, and with new ships on order.[2][8] Executive control of each brand is by geographical location, with Carnival Corporation controlling operations in North America, Carnival UK controlling operations in the United Kingdom (including operations of Princess Cruises, P&O Cruises, P&O Australia and Cunard Line) and Costa Cruises Group controlling operations in the rest of Europe. P&O Cruises Australia is operated by Carnival UK as a sister company of P&O Cruises.

The company also operated the Ocean Village brand from 2003 to 2010.

In 2011 the combined brands of Carnival Corporation controlled a 49.2% share of the total worldwide cruise market.[9]

Strictly-speaking Princess is a subsidiary of P&O, who acquired them back in the 1970's. They in turn were acquired by Carnival Corporation about ten years ago, but P&O Princess Cruises are operated as a separate entity.

Like P&O, Princess ships fly the Red Ensign of the British merchant fleet on the stern mast.

Certainly some loyalty perks are interchangeable between P&O and Princess, I don't know about Carnival's other lines.

JB :)

Carnival comprises eleven individual cruise line brands, operating a combined fleet of over 100 ships, totalling over 190,000 lower berths, and with new ships on order.[2][8] Executive control of each brand is by geographical location, with Carnival Corporation controlling operations in North America, Carnival UK controlling operations in the United Kingdom (including operations of Princess Cruises, P&O Cruises, P&O Australia and Cunard Line) and Costa Cruises Group controlling operations in the rest of Europe. P&O Cruises Australia is operated by Carnival UK as a sister company of P&O Cruises.

The company also operated the Ocean Village brand from 2003 to 2010.

In 2011 the combined brands of Carnival Corporation controlled a 49.2% share of the total worldwide cruise market.[9]

That's almost scary.

While the loyalty programs on Carnival and Princess lines are independent of each other, you can get a past guest rate on Princess (and others under the Carnival umbrella) if you have cruised on a Carnival ship.

I like Princess a lot. Their ships are beautiful and very elegant. Yes, it can be a more mature age demographic, particularly on cruises longer than 7 days.

Enjoy--whichever you choose.

Edited by mizlorinj

• 2 weeks later...
While the loyalty programs on Carnival and Princess lines are independent of each other, you can get a past guest rate on Princess (and others under the Carnival umbrella) if you have cruised on a Carnival ship.

I like Princess a lot. Their ships are beautiful and very elegant. Yes, it can be a more mature age demographic, particularly on cruises longer than 7 days.

Enjoy--whichever you choose.

Thank you for this information. We might be looking at Princess in the future.

Worthy of note here is the Shareholder credit. Often discussed on these boards, it is a loyalty perk offered by the parent corporation (Carnival Corp) to passengers who hold at least 100 shares of CCL in their brokerage account.

With graduated benefits, it can mean a "free" onboard credit varying from $50US to $250US, depending on length of the sailing.

These credits are available on any of the cruise lines under the Carnival umbrella. US citizenship is not required for this benefit, only ownership in the name of the passenger. Holdings within a mutual fund do not qualify.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Does Carnival Corp have a freight division?

While some of the "heritage" lines owned by the Carnival Corp. umbrella such as Cunard, P&O, and Holland America did have freighters in their long past, they have not had any in a long time. The P&O freighter's were separated from the cruise line long before Carnival acquired the cruise line, and even it no longer exists as it was purchased by another freight line.

The only freight lines that have cruise ship divisions currently are, MSC, Hapag-Lloyd, and NYK (Crystal).....