Cancelled Flight

bfox13

6. Another thing you could have done was show up at the airport and the checkin desk would have arranged alternate flights. Whe a flight is cancelled, the airline has to get you to your destination as soon as possible even if they have to put you on another airline.

Not necessarily. Some consolidator-type fare classes come with rules and restrictions that may say, for instance, that the ticket cannot be endorsed to another airline. They might go ahead and waive that restriction, but they might not. If a ticket has such a restriction, and the airline chooses not to waive it, the airline's only responsibility is to get you to your destination. So if your "restricted ticket" is on airline X, from airport A to airport B, and the flight is cancelled, you may have to wait until the next flight on airline X, from airport A to airport B, that has seats available. If that's in is in 3 days, you'll be flying in 3 days.

Does not seem that he is blaming O, but more himself. When you fly these days unexpected things happen and sometimes there is no one to blame.

I said I was confused ;)

No matter who booked the flight I think anyone flying this past weekend would have been affected in the USA with flight delays & cancellations

I try not to book connections & if I have to I make them longer ones

My days of racing through the airports to make a flight are over ;)

At least they are home now

Lyn

Not necessarily. Some consolidator-type fare classes come with rules and restrictions that may say, for instance, that the ticket cannot be endorsed to another airline. They might go ahead and waive that restriction, but they might not. If a ticket has such a restriction, and the airline chooses not to waive it, the airline's only responsibility is to get you to your destination. So if your "restricted ticket" is on airline X, from airport A to airport B, and the flight is cancelled, you may have to wait until the next flight on airline X, from airport A to airport B, that has seats available. If that's in is in 3 days, you'll be flying in 3 days.

That has always been one of my hesitations with Os air: - non-endorsable tickets (and not knowing until too late if that is what I am getting)

That is also why when considering an O cruise I simply add $300 to the price to include deviation. More lead time to embarkation mitigates the fall out from a missed flight/connection. For this particular issue is that is still not as good as an endorsable ticket but helpful.

Too bad O charges for a deviation for flying in the day before. I think most posters on CC consider that arriving the day before is the only way to go (and so should O). Costs O no more to assign flights for 1 day earlier. Okay maybe $20 to send an email. Could simply have a check box, arrive day before?, so that don't need to check with the pax just automatically book the day before if checked. Of course custom flight arrangements beyond that require hands-on work by the air dept but not just a the day before if they do not have to process a specific request.

In any event, your addition is note-worthy

Thanks for the correction. Was strictly thinking of airline tickets and Consolidator tickets never came to mind. Hopefully consolidator tickets are few and far between but, as others including myself have said, can't tell if you will get frequent flyer miles so add to the list, can't tell if you will get a consolidator ticket which does limit changes and the like.

Thanks again for the clarification,

Too bad O charges for a deviation for flying in the day before. I think most posters on CC consider that arriving the day before is the only way to go (and so should O). Costs O no more to assign flights for 1 day earlier. Okay maybe $20 to send an email. Could simply have a check box, arrive day before?, so that don't need to check with the pax just automatically book the day before if checked. Of course custom flight arrangements beyond that require hands-on work by the air dept but not just a the day before if they do not have to process a specific request.

Absolutely agree. I wish both Oceania and Regent would recognize this and act accordingly.

Too bad O charges for a deviation for flying in the day before. I think most posters on CC consider that arriving the day before is the only way to go (and so should O).

You can fly in the day or more before without incurring the deviation fee ...but you need to book their hotel pacakage ;)

What cruise lines allow you to fly in the day before the cruise with no added fee??

Lyn

You can fly in the day or more before without incurring the deviation fee ...but you need to book their hotel pacakage ;)

What cruise lines allow you to fly in the day before the cruise with no added fee??

Lyn

Celebrity, Azamara & Royal Caribbean with Choice Air.

Celebrity, Azamara & Royal Caribbean with Choice Air.

Do you pay extra for Choice Air or is it "included" in the cruise fare like O??

I just checked flights that we are taking in Jan it is over $800 PP:eek:

I could book direct with AC for $533 or less

I am missing something here does not seem right ?

Edited by LHT28

From my recent experience, Celebrity no longer really provides airfare. They just have a website that provides access to flights, similar to Expedia or Travelocity. I did not book with them, but it appears they are now just acting like a travel agent, and not really making bookings for flights of their choosing like they did in the past.

Edited by cruiserchuck

How quickly we forget that O did offer a day ahead with hotel package. It went over like a lead balloon.

I flew to Panama once for a cruise (not O) and we looked at the cruiseline hotel for our pre-cruise stay. We weren't using cruise air, just looking at the "deal" the cruise offered for a pre-cruise stay. Ha! The rate was charged per person, not per room, and would have been something like $400/night. We booked the same hotel independently for around $150. If that's the kind of "deal" O was offering I can see why it wasn't popular.

Thanks for the correction. Was strictly thinking of airline tickets and Consolidator tickets never came to mind. Hopefully consolidator tickets are few and far between

If you are getting a way better deal on air through the cruise line, it's likely that you are getting a consolidator ticket. They may not use that term (Royal likes to call them "specially negotiated fares") but if your cruise-provided air is a real bargain, assume it comes with a host of restrictions. If things go well you'll never know the difference, or if things go awry but the airline chooses to waive the restrictions, you won't know the difference. But if push comes to shove, you'll know! Problem is, it's is virtually impossible to see those restrictions prior to purchase so if you buy through the cruise line you really don't have any idea what you're getting. Caveat emptor!

I just checked flights that we are taking in Jan it is over $800 PP:eek:

I could book direct with AC for $533 or less

I am missing something here does not seem right ?

Nothing is wrong, as long as you understand that you are almost certainly not getting the same ticket. If all goes well, you'll never know the difference. If not, well, how much risk are you comfortable with?

From my recent experience, Celebrity no longer really provides airfare. They just have a website that provides access to flights, similar to Expedia or Travelocity. I did not book with them, but it appears they are now just acting like a travel agent, and not really making bookings for flights of their choosing like they did in the past.

Celebrity and Royal offer airfare through Choice Air and yes, it is offered for an additional fee, not included as on O. The Choice Air website from which you choose flights is designed to look like Expedia or whatever, but for the most part you are still choosing from flights that Choice Air has purchased or negotiated, particularly the flights which appear to be a huge bargain over what the airline is offering directly.

Nothing is wrong, as long as you understand that you are almost certainly not getting the same ticket. If all goes well, you'll never know the difference. If not, well, how much risk are you comfortable with?

I am sure if the Choice air ticket I looked at were better or not

maybe it was the Lattitude fare ..fully refundable economy

The AC one is the Flex fare non refundable but you can pay a fee to make changes

As you say when things go smoothly you will never know the difference

Most people unless in the travel business would not check the fare rules for the ticket ;)

Edited by LHT28

• 3 weeks later...

Lyn

Regent includes a hotel overnight. Regent is more expensive, but one gets what one pays for.

Since we are pretty picky regarding hotels and importantly hotel rooms, we reserve the hotel, class of room and sometimes location of room on our own. So far, working very well for us.

But, if one wants convenience and just a place to sleep after a long trip, having the cruise company make the choice is viable.

Not mentioned above is cost of the options.

There is a safety valve included with both Regent and Oceania when you book with either air-inclusive program.

That safety is you are guaranteed to get to the ship in the price. If a flight delay cancel no matter. You have a contract to get to the ship that other lines "choice Air and other non inclusive options do not include.

As far as price, it all depends on where you are going. I am flying from Hawaii to Tahiti in April... and returning NY to Hawaii. Were I to buy my own ticket it would cost me about $2450 one way to Tahiti alone. Thanks but I will take the offered ticket. In this case, owing to the close proximity of the first 3 days, to the start point I would never miss the ship in total.. maybe a day or a few hours tops.

I like Regent and you used to get what you pay for..now you don't and have to pay extra for additional restaurant, forced to use their shore ex, etc. Too inclusive for me. Oceania is the perfect compromise for the former Regent passenger seeking quality without forced quantity.

As far as price, it all depends on where you are going. I am flying from Hawaii to Tahiti in April... and returning NY to Hawaii. Were I to buy my own ticket it would cost me about $2450 one way to Tahiti alone. Thanks but I will take the offered ticket. In this case, owing to the close proximity of the first 3 days, to the start point I would never miss the ship in total.. maybe a day or a few hours tops.

The current one-way price for coach Honolulu-Tahiti is $684.50 and business class is $1,597.50.

There is a safety valve included with both Regent and Oceania when you book with either air-inclusive program.

That safety is you are guaranteed to get to the ship in the price. If a flight delay cancel no matter. You have a contract to get to the ship that other lines "choice Air and other non inclusive options do not include.

Not true at all Dan. Read the terms and conditions. This has been discussed several times on both Regent and Oceania boards and while oftentimes they will help and pay some or all of the costs to get you to the ship, they are quite clear that even with their air, it is your responsibility to get to the ship and they have no obligations for delays and missed flights.

This is why knowledgeable people travel to the embarkation location a day early to avoid "missing the ship". If for some reason you can't get to the ship, in most cases you would be out the cruise fare and the flight back home. Of course there have been and will continue to be exceptions to what is in black and white.

There is absolutely no guarantee to get to the ship for the price paid and reading the T's and C's will confirm that fact.

Subject of this thread is what makes Oceania a cruise line I enjoy occasionally but I do not make use of their air-included pricing structure. Indeed, the premise of their air-included policy is based on the faulty assumption (and Oceania company policy) that travelers should fly to a cruise with scheduled arrival in embarkation city only a few hours ahead of the ship's departure. This is something that experienced cruisers, for the most part, just do not do. The increasingly large deviation fee just rubs in further the insult this cruise line extends to its customers with this ridiculous policy and apparently the lack of appropriate customer service which is behind it.