Lesson Learned -- "Class" system on domestic first class

elycelynne

I recently flew United from FLL to ORD. They offered a pretty reasonable upgrade fee for first-class, so I figured why not? Comfy seat, a couple of free drinks and an actual meal, right?

So the flight attendant came around to take the dinner orders, which was a choice between a chicken wrap and a shrimp salad. She took the order of the guy sitting next to me, and then told me that she'd be back to take my order later. By the time she got back to me, all that was left was the shrimp salad. I took that because I figured it was better than nothing (which a few passengers actually opted for), and I asked her she bypassed me earlier. Apparently they have all the first-class passenger profiles on their clipboards, and those with "status" get first choice. Since I'm just a lowly Mileage Plus member with no other status, I had to wait my turn.

The shrimp salad was not at all filling. I'm glad that I paid less than $200 for the upgrade, because I would have been even more disappointed otherwise.

Another "caveat" on United's 737-800 aircraft -- Seatback video is free for first-class passengers. The only trouble is, the DirecTV programming is no longer available a few minutes after takeoff, and the few other movies that they offered had already started awhile ago. There aren't any audio channels for an alternative. So that was kind of strange.

You learn something new every day!

Thank you for this information. "Status" should have nothing to do with this kind of a situation. You are in First Class or you are not. To treat one "First Class" guest differently than another "First Class" guest is rather Low Class, in my opinion.

Sorry but airlines, particularly American, get a hell of a lot of money from me and my company each year. I am ridiculously loyal and fly a ton. Hitting 100k actual miles each year is the norm.

I know this won't be popular, but I think I should get some extra perks compared to someone who just pays some extra money at the gate.

Flame away.

Evidently United sent out a memo to FAs in 2012 that set out the policy -

Benefits like bonus award miles, upgrades, priority airport services, fee waivers and discounts help us deliver a distinct and memorable level of service to our most frequent business travelers, especially our valued Global Services (GS) and Premier 1K customers. They tell us they appreciate being recognized for the value they bring to United.

Understanding this, to ensure that we properly recognize our elite customers seated in our premium cabins, we are expanding the meal order preference to include 1K customers effective Nov. 30, 2012. This amenity is currently offered only to our Global Services customers.

In the premium cabins, take meal orders front to back, without skipping around the cabin. Using the Inflight Final Report to identify customer status, manage main course entrée preferences out of customer view in the following order, ensuring Global Services customers receive their first choice:

Global Services (GS): our invitation-only membership program exclusively for our top members.

Premier 1K customers (1K): 100,000 Premier qualifying miles or 120 Premier qualifying segments.

All other revenue customers

Pass riders
So this is company policy; presumably you were sitting next to a 1K or GS flyer.

On AA, where I have equivalent status to 1K, I'm not aware of any preferences in service in FC relating to meals. Unlike UA, AA uses its own serving order called "FEBO." Entree orders are taken from the front of the cabin on even-numbered flights (FE) and from the back on odd-numbered ones (BO.) Experienced AA elite frequent flyers know this and sit accordingly if menu choice is important to them (which it isn't to me.)

As far as the video/audio trouble you encountered, that sounds more like a technical glitch than something done by design.

Sorry but airlines, particularly American, get a hell of a lot of money from me and my company each year. I am ridiculously loyal and fly a ton. Hitting 100k actual miles each year is the norm.

I know this won't be popular, but I think I should get some extra perks compared to someone who just pays some extra money at the gate.

Flame away.

No flames from me.....I see nothing wrong with offering perqs to frequent (i.e. loyal) customers, and that certainly includes things as trivial (IMO) as first choice in meal offerings.

Evidently United sent out a memo to FAs in 2012 that set out the policy -

So this is company policy; presumably you were sitting next to a 1K or GS flyer.

On AA, where I have equivalent status to 1K, I'm not aware of any preferences in service in FC relating to meals. Unlike UA, AA uses its own serving order called "FEBO." Entree orders are taken from the front of the cabin on even-numbered flights (FE) and from the back on odd-numbered ones (BO.) Experienced AA elite frequent flyers know this and sit accordingly if menu choice is important to them (which it isn't to me.)

As far as the video/audio trouble you encountered, that sounds more like a technical glitch than something done by design.

While AA does follow FEBO, I swear I've seen preferential treatment take place. Seems more exception than rule, but I swear I've seen it.

This past weekend on MIA-GRU it was interesting to see orders taken from back but served from front. I am glad I was in the last row of J. Maybe I just don't pay attention but I don't remember ever seeing that before.

No flames from me.....I see nothing wrong with offering perqs to frequent (i.e. loyal) customers, and that certainly includes things as trivial (IMO) as first choice in meal offerings.

My thought is this - if it's wrong for a company to give special perks to those who give them the most loyalty and money, then most companies are dead wrong. It would be a terrible business model to do otherwise.

While AA does follow FEBO, I swear I've seen preferential treatment take place. Seems more exception than rule, but I swear I've seen it.

This past weekend on MIA-GRU it was interesting to see orders taken from back but served from front. I am glad I was in the last row of J. Maybe I just don't pay attention but I don't remember ever seeing that before.

AA does almost always follow the FEBO rule for taking orders. But it's common to server from the front. AA also allows people to reserve their meal in advance. Not sure if UA and DL and US does this.

Flame away.

No flames from me. It's nice to believe that everyone sitting in 1st is equal, but the reality is that you have some pax, like the OP, who are sitting there because once in a blue moon they spend an extra $200, and then there are pax like Zach, who are sitting up there because they spend thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars with the airline year after year.

AA does almost always follow the FEBO rule for taking orders. But it's common to server from the front. AA also allows people to reserve their meal in advance. Not sure if UA and DL and US does this.

This has also been my experience on AA. I am not even sure that I have even seen them actually service from the back first, but it is possible that I just did not notice.

I have Plat status with Delta and have been known to pay to sit up front more often than not but I have never noticed any kind of preferential treatment with respect to meal choices or service. Am I just not paying attention?

------------------

Helen

I've seen DL do this a couple of times in international Business Elite, perhaps it was just the method of a particular FA or two. I recall one time it was pretty evident, the FA was all over the place taking meal requests, but they did serve in order from the front row back. Other times it just seemed like the FAs were trying to get ahead of the game and taking orders as people boarded and settled in, so they weren't necessarily going by any priority system. More often than not they go in order, haven't paid attention if they follow FEBO or not.

Edited by PRWeezer

This has also been my experience on AA. I am not even sure that I have even seen them actually service from the back first, but it is possible that I just did not notice.

I've seen them actually serve from the back. Sometimes, they take orders first in the correct order, then serve. Other times they just start serving and take the orders as they move up or down the aisle with the cart, starting at front or back as required.

I recently flew United from FLL to ORD. They offered a pretty reasonable upgrade fee for first-class, so I figured why not? Comfy seat, a couple of free drinks and an actual meal, right?

So the flight attendant came around to take the dinner orders, which was a choice between a chicken wrap and a shrimp salad. She took the order of the guy sitting next to me, and then told me that she'd be back to take my order later. By the time she got back to me, all that was left was the shrimp salad. I took that because I figured it was better than nothing (which a few passengers actually opted for), and I asked her she bypassed me earlier. Apparently they have all the first-class passenger profiles on their clipboards, and those with "status" get first choice. Since I'm just a lowly Mileage Plus member with no other status, I had to wait my turn.

The shrimp salad was not at all filling. I'm glad that I paid less than $200 for the upgrade, because I would have been even more disappointed otherwise.

Another "caveat" on United's 737-800 aircraft -- Seatback video is free for first-class passengers. The only trouble is, the DirecTV programming is no longer available a few minutes after takeoff, and the few other movies that they offered had already started awhile ago. There aren't any audio channels for an alternative. So that was kind of strange.

You learn something new every day!

By the way the Shrimp salad is a better choice. Take that friendly GS advice.

Here is a Delta chart (unofficial I believe) that summarizes their fare codes/priority. Note the 'pecking' order column. It is especially important in winter when cancellations/rebooking can occur.

http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm

We actually used this chart on a recent return flight to Bangkok. We needed tickets that could be changed-even if there was a charge. It was one of the reasons we selected the Delta flight (T fare code) over the UA flight on the day of booking.

The problem we have with booking some consolidator fares is that you never know the fare class or seat selection until you actually book and pay. We normally assume the ticket is last in the pecking order and worst in seat selection. Then anything better is an improvement.

Edited by iancal

LAN international premium business class is now giving preference to their own FF and NOT to their partner airline FF (AA).

I just flew into JFK on LAN from Lima. This morning, the FA asked the LAN FF their preference for breakfast before they asked anyone else. I was a little ticked off because I love that LAN nonstop to JFK. As an AA EXP (and One World emerald), I would have though I was high enough on the food chain to get what I wanted for breakfast.

I HATE scrambled eggs and pancakes. And when the FA finally got around to asking my preference, all the fruit plates and croissants were gone. I was STUCK with the mini pancakes and link sausage (which I also dislike). The ham was gone as well as the potatoes. Don't know whether it was just a bad night of catering or whether it will be the norm. Last flight out of SCL in January, I got the full catering menu. Not last night. Good thing they had a lot of goodies to snack on in the lounge or I would have been darn hungry when I got off the plane.

From now on, I will have a full dinner before I go to the airport. Mickey D's just doesn't get it at the Lima airport. Lesson learned.

My expectation would be that they load a greater number of meals for the premium cabins even if this leads to some wastage. Not to have fruit, croissants etc for ALL business premium passengers, as in Greatam's case particularly on a long international flight is not providing the service. After all, it is not as if this is a $99.00 special. I can accept that occasionally something will run out but I do not expect planned shortages.

LAN international premium business class is now giving preference to their own FF and NOT to their partner airline FF (AA).

I just flew into JFK on LAN from Lima. This morning, the FA asked the LAN FF their preference for breakfast before they asked anyone else. I was a little ticked off because I love that LAN nonstop to JFK. As an AA EXP (and One World emerald), I would have though I was high enough on the food chain to get what I wanted for breakfast.

I HATE scrambled eggs and pancakes. And when the FA finally got around to asking my preference, all the fruit plates and croissants were gone. I was STUCK with the mini pancakes and link sausage (which I also dislike). The ham was gone as well as the potatoes. Don't know whether it was just a bad night of catering or whether it will be the norm. Last flight out of SCL in January, I got the full catering menu. Not last night. Good thing they had a lot of goodies to snack on in the lounge or I would have been darn hungry when I got off the plane.

From now on, I will have a full dinner before I go to the airport. Mickey D's just doesn't get it at the Lima airport. Lesson learned.

Isn't that pretty much against all of the "rules" of an alliance? Jeez...that's kinda ridiculous. Would tick me off as a OW Emerald.

Isn't that pretty much against all of the "rules" of an alliance? Jeez...that's kinda ridiculous. Would tick me off as a OW Emerald.

I expressed my displeasure to the EXP desk but not much good did it do me. They offered me miles for the inconvenience. I'll take them but I really wanted some answers. What I couldn't get an answer to was is this going to be the way it is going forward with LAN or was Saturday night/Sunday morning just a one off situation?

I am still astounded they were out of fruit plates. That's what I do in South America-ship fruit to the USA. And 70% of the unusual fruit (not apples, pears or oranges) you see at the grocery stores now comes out of South America-all the green grapes, the tangelos, the plums, etc. etc.

So for an airline that is based in Santiago with Chile being a VERY large exporter of fruit, how could they be out of fruit plates (which are usually very, very good)? Beyond my comprehension. May be back to flying the one or two stopper on AA metal. My next flight, I will go to the AC and MAYBE one of the AC angels will be able to get the answers I need.

Still ticked off-I HATE pancakes.