Wife beaters?

wales4ever

There is a reply further down the board on casual attire with a reference to "wife beaters"

Is this some sort of American attire, or is there a dress code for that as well?

The "wife beater" is a sleeveless white t-shirt. Origins are basically images of men who've battered women are often seen wearing these.

In the UK I've heard Brits refer to Stella beer as the "wife beater" at the local pub for similar reasons......get drunk on cheap beer, go home batter the wife :-(

It's not a phrase that is in my daily vocabulary.

The "wife beater" is a sleeveless white t-shirt. Origins are basically images of men who've battered women are often seen wearing these.

In the UK I've heard Brits refer to Stella beer as the "wife beater" at the local pub for similar reasons......get drunk on cheap beer, go home batter the wife :-(

Also can be a "string" type T shirt. I got a guy ejected out of the diningroom on the QM2 for being dressed like that(with crappy shorts)on formal night. His tablemates told me he had planned to dress like that to thumb his nose up at Cunard's dresscode. I was still surprised he was able to sneak past the Maitre D dressed like that!

Wife beaters are tank tops, or the sleeveless undershirts. You will see them in the old movies where the male is wearing his undershirt, usually intoxicated and beating on some female.

In the Godffather you will see the men wearing them.

🌅

There is a reply further down the board on casual attire with a reference to "wife beaters"

Is this some sort of American attire, or is there a dress code for that as well?

generally considered to be a white sleeveless tank top/undershirt. think Hanes or BVDs. never appropriate to wear on its own, but certain demographics of our society favor them as every day attire.

...This phrased should not even be used in today society:mad:

I agree. I hate that term.

Unfortunately both Websters dictionary and the Oxford Online dictionary actually define "wife beater" as "A white tank top" and "A man’s sleeveless vest or T-shirt.", respectively. So I guess that the term is more commonly accepted than I thought.

In practice the only place I've heard this term used is here on Cruise Critic when discussing Celebrity dress codes!

I work in a sporting goods store and the first time I heard that term about 20 years ago, I asked the customer if it was the name of a bat. The correct term for this garment is an A line T shirt. At least that's what the manufacturer has labeled on the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree; it's a disgusting, offensive term that has no place in normal conversation.

The point is that it's used, and us Brits could only guess what it meant. Next, you 'll be wanting to delete 'naughty words' from dictionaries!

I can assure you Stella is not cheap, it's actually relatively expensive. The UK term refers to its strength which is quite high, and several pints of Stella can send people a bit crazy.

I agree with others though it isn't a nice term.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think the correlation to this type of shirt(a-shirt is the real name)and Stella comes from the movie '' a streetcar named desire '' where brando stood out on the street yelling Stella! ,Stella! . He is often given credit (if you can call it that) for making the undershirt popular as an outer garment.

I think the correlation to this type of shirt(a-shirt is the real name)and Stella comes from the movie '' a streetcar named desire '' where brando stood out on the street yelling Stella! ,Stella! . He is often given credit (if you can call it that) for making the undershirt popular as an outer garment.

And I thought it was Vin Diesel... ;)

That makes a lot of sense . Brando in his undershirt was a Phenomenon when he appeared first on Broadway and then in the movie in Street Car

If by Stella beer you are referring to Stella Artois (sp) , that is kind of an expensive beer. Not exactly what you picture some barfly drinking in a gin mill and then going home and beating the wife.

But anything is possible

Of course the aforementioned piece of clothing has been abbreviated to just "beater". Not seen often on Celebrity but other lines for sure. Nothing like looking at someone's under arm hair while having lunch in the MDR. Apparently it's a turn on for some as you see them everywhere.

Hahaha....dress codes for bad behavior. That is too funny :D

It's a slang term for a white tank top. If you are say 25 or younger in the US you're going to refer to a tank top as a Wife Beater. This term came about because when ever some loser guy ended up on TV being arrested for domestic violence it seemed like he was always wearing a tank top.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app