Cabin steward questions.

go4ak

How do you "meet" your cabin steward?

Do they knock and introduce themselves? Do you just happen to run into them? Do you have the same one for the whole cruise?

How do you communicate requests to them? Leave notes? Call them?

Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Do they knock and introduce themselves? Do you just happen to run into them? Do you have the same one for the whole cruise?

I can only speak for Princess. Sometimes they introduce themselves,sometimes you just run into them as you go to your cabin.

You normally have the same one for your entire cruise. We were just on a 31 day cruise and had the same steward

As far as requests, if we see them we ask, if not we leave a note on the bed. They also have a paging system.

I can only speak for Princess. Sometimes they introduce themselves,sometimes you just run into them as you go to your cabin.

You normally have the same one for your entire cruise. We were just on a 31 day cruise and had the same steward

As far as requests, if we see them we ask, if not we leave a note on the bed. ...

This pretty much our experience on Holland America as well as Disney.

On RCI they typically come to your stateroom and introduce themselves to you on the day you board and ask if there is anything in particular you will need from them during your cruise (such as ice, extra towels, etc). In our experience they are the same throughout the cruise and do not change.

If there is something you need during the week you can usually find them somewhere near by during their morning or evening work hours, Our you can call housekeeping from the phone in your stateroom. Often they leave a business card with their name as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

All info already here is what we have experienced as well, but in addition to that when your steward is on break there will be someone assigned to cover for him/her if you need anything. Just in case.

Our steward was off duty when we had a crisis of epic proportions. Our daughter discovered in the evening that 'Puppy' had disappeared from her room. Trust me, HUGE deal. I figured that her precious stuffy had been bundled away with the sheet change that day and called the steward. We got his stand in, who was lovely, and was right on it, but in a matter of minutes our regular guy had been appraised as well and was up and overseeing a muster in the laundry in search of Puppy. Between the two of them and the housekeeping staff Puppy was recovered and returned in record time.

So while you will have a regular 'usual person' you will also have a back up if needed.

My experience is pretty limited, but housekeeping seems to be one area where service is pretty excellent.

All info already here is what we have experienced as well, but in addition to that when your steward is on break there will be someone assigned to cover for him/her if you need anything. Just in case.

Our steward was off duty when we had a crisis of epic proportions. Our daughter discovered in the evening that 'Puppy' had disappeared from her room. Trust me, HUGE deal. I figured that her precious stuffy had been bundled away with the sheet change that day and called the steward. We got his stand in, who was lovely, and was right on it, but in a matter of minutes our regular guy had been appraised as well and was up and overseeing a muster in the laundry in search of Puppy. Between the two of them and the housekeeping staff Puppy was recovered and returned in record time.

So while you will have a regular 'usual person' you will also have a back up if needed.

My experience is pretty limited, but housekeeping seems to be one area where service is pretty excellent.

Man, even though my DD is 25 now that story made my blood run cold. I remember those days. Great effort on everyone's part and I'm glad it had a happy ending.

Kim

Edited by KBS1607

We have a similar story when we cruised on Explorer of the Seas. Rory, my daughters beloved bear went missing. The stewards had an all out APB for the missing bear.......she was found caught in the space in the sheets between the wall and made up fouton. But everyone took our "emergency" seriously. Rory and Puppy, my other daughters woobie, had a place of honor every morning after that!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

My story isn't nearly as critical as a child's stuffed lovey but when our laundry was returned one sock was missing. I put its mate on the bed, along with a note to our steward and I went to breakfast. When I returned from breakfast a short time later, not only had the cabin been serviced but the missing sock was with its mate. When our steward had read the note he'd gone instantly to the laundry and found my missing sock.

most will indeed stop by on the first day. you can always leave a note with your requests at any time. it will be the same person the entire time although he will have helpers and you may see them in your room instead.

I had to share my missing story---and this one is mine. A long, long time ago, when I was 4 or 5, my family was on vacation. When we came back, my beloved blankie was missing. Of course, it was white so it mixed in with everything. My mother went to housekeeping and then went with them to sort through their laundry room. I will never forget her triumphant smile as she walked back into the room carrying my blankie!! My kids now know the drill that anything like that gets put onto a chair so there is no mistaking it for dirty laundry!! By the way, that blankie still has a place of honor on my bed 40 years later!!:)

Our best "room steward" was one we never, ever saw! Not once, then entire trip! But, our room was always sparkling, always had fresh towels, linens.....it was like magic! And, all without having to participate in "small talk"....perhaps our room attendant didn't speak English...I don't know, but it was a wonderful experience!

75+ cruises .Almost always cabin steward has stopped by to introduce themselves shortly after embarkation.

Congrats to the OP for getting it right !

Steward !

So many times we see people here calling them Stewarts !

(of course the rare case where the Stewards name is actually Stewart) .

Congrats to the OP for getting it right !

Steward !

So many times we see people here calling them Stewarts !

(of course the rare case where the Stewards name is actually Stewart) .

I'd noticed that on quite a few posts and was wondering whether it was some kind of "in" joke - Stewart the Steward :D

We've had about the same collection of experiences as other posters -- some stewards introduce themselves right away, but are never seen again, though the room is kept in tip-top shape. Others have come by time to greet us, then we would see them regularly in the corridors caring for other cabins, so we could communicate any needs or requests.

On our recent cruise, though, I had a rather embarrassing experience -- on the first full day of our cruise, I began jotting down a list of missing items (bathrobes, pool towel) or things I wanted the steward to provide (top sheet on the bed, extra bath towels), so that when I saw him I would remember to request all the items at once. We left the cabin at some point, and I just left the half finished note lying around so I could finalize it later. When we came back to our cabin some time later, I noticed that the things that had been missing were no longer missing. Meanwhile, I had thought of something else to put on the list, so I found the cabin steward and asked him for it (I think it was a pen). He responded a little defensively by saying, "But it wasn't on the list!" It was at that moment that I realized that in tidying up our cabin, the steward had found my note and provided to our cabin everything that had been listed on it.

I was extremely embarrassed. I would never had dreamed of simply leaving a "grocery list" out for the steward, and expect him to fulfill it -- I would have spoken to him directly in a friendly manner, or at the very least, written a courteous note including such words as "please" and "thank you!" I thought he must have assumed I was extremely boorish and uppity. I was mortified! And it was all the more embarrassing because I sensed that I had made him feel uncomfortable!

Of course I thanked him heartily, and I told him I hadn't left the note out on purpose, but still, it was embarrassing.

We've always met the steward on the first day/evening. We ask for ice in the ice bucket, robes if they aren't already there and a couple of extra towels. Other than that, we rarely have any request. We see them and speak in passing. HINT: If you leave the door hanger on the outside of the cabin door as you leave for the day, the cabin steward is aware that he can clean your cabin instead of having to watch to see that you are leaving to be able to get in and out of your cabin. Ours has always reminded us to leave the door hanger out when we initially see him. They are a hard working group of folks and we try to keep the cabin neat and have everything put away. Makes it easy for them to leave clean linens, make the beds and move on to the next cabin on their list.