Does a Snobby Roll Call Mean a Snobby Cruise?

We are SO excited to book our first post-retirement cruise – 11 day Southern Caribbean on Serenade in November, 2015. I posted on the roll call – no hello, no welcome, no nothing. Everyone on the roll call seems to 1) making this the second half of a B2B, 2) be D+ or higher, or 3) already know each other. This is the longest cruise we have taken and are lowly Emerald. I just hope our roll call is not indicative of the folks on the cruise.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1-The folks on CC are only about 10% of the passengers on the ship.

2-Some folks do the same sailing year after year, have gotten to know each other, book early and start the roll call so early on it appears everyone knows each.

3-Your cruise is about 16 months away, as more folks join the roll call the tone of the roll call will most likely change.

Enjoy retirement and your cruise!

I was amazed to read your post because I thought the same thing about our roll call. For that reason, I haven't joined in yet because I feel out of place. Way to many people on the ship, though, for all of them to be doing B2B, at a level way higher than us, and maybe the reason the people in the roll call know each other is why they are posting. So we are simply glad to be going and will wait to see how our roll call develops.

We are SO excited to book our first post-retirement cruise – 11 day Southern Caribbean on Serenade in November, 2015. I posted on the roll call – no hello, no welcome, no nothing. Everyone on the roll call seems to 1) making this the second half of a B2B, 2) be D+ or higher, or 3) already know each other. This is the longest cruise we have taken and are lowly Emerald. I just hope our roll call is not indicative of the folks on the cruise.

If you are really worried about it switch your cruise to Oct 31, 2015 on Adventure of the Seas. Your itinerary will be about the same and you will have me and Priscilla on board. I can guarantee you will have a good time. (My roll call is slow too, but it's early yet.) For my post retirement cruise we went to the Norwegian Fiords on Brilliance of the Seas. It was fantastic! And don't be saying you are lowly Emerald. You and I are the best Emerald members the Crown and Anchor Society has ever seen!!!

Elvis

Is it the November 2, 2015 sailing? If so, I'm going too. I joined the roll call and it just seems very inactive right now but that's to be expected this far out.

Plus, many people on CC have multiple cruises booked and will probably be more active on the roll calls that are closer. I've got a B2B coming up in September and I definitely spend more time on that roll call right now.

There were a handful of cruisers recently who have cruised before that were chatting but they had just found each other on this Serenade sailing.

Don't worry, things should improve as it gets closer.

BTW welcome aboard! :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Agree with what's been said but honestly, you have guts to post this here. You don't think your Roll Call reads here too? :eek: :p

Yup, I'm on that roll call Karen :)

Edited by The Sunset Glow

We are on this cruise also. I think the roll call just doesn't have any organization yet.There just doesn't seem like there is much interaction. We have sailed with one of the other couples, and neither one of us is D+ yet either. Hang in there. I am hoping that we can get some chatter going and start to organize some activities as the cruise gets closer.

We are on this cruise also. I think the roll call just doesn't have any organization yet.There just doesn't seem like there is much interaction. We have sailed with one of the other couples, and neither one of us is D+ yet either. Hang in there. I am hoping that we can get some chatter going and start to organize some activities as the cruise gets closer.

Yes we still have over 500 days!! Lots if time for planning.

I have 2 upcoming cruises interestingly enough, on 2 separate lines, and both of the roll calls are like this...a few close buddies, discussing their loyalty level and perks ad nauseum, and other cruises they have planned.

Also nonsense about making coffee, running in marathons, what their relatives are up to, the weather, on and on about everything but the actual cruise, and nothing that interests me.

I don't consider it snobby, just lacking interest to me. I have been reading, waiting for them to improve, but so far, have not felt the urge to join in on either board. I have had great experiences in the past meeting roll call friends, just not on either of these two, it seems.

And no, it will in no way effect my cruise, nor will it yours. As stated, the few on the roll call boards are really a small minority of the passengers. I can entertain myself and meet people on board if I choose, have done it for years long before the roll calls.

It is like anything on Cruise Critic. Especially on the Roll Calls, post what you wish. Grit your teeth and keep posting. It is your roll call just as much as anyone else's. Some of them do seem "cliquish" , but I don't let it deter me.

I was a member of one a few years ago that became a knock down, drag out, after we had already left for the cruise. Heard about it though. M&M on that one was "odd" as apparently (unsurprisingly) there were a lot more people reading than posting.

Just try to enjoy yourself, and other people will join as the cruise gets closer. I think roll calls are fun and most people are, or should be on their best behavior. :D:):D

I think it is very early to make a call on it; the cruise is probably only partially booked at this point.

However, if you get the sense it's not for you bow out. You don't need to make any sort of announcement on the roll call, just skip the Meet & Mingle. One of the most awful experiences I have had was from a Meet & Mingle and it has made me very cautious about participating in future roll calls. That's not to say I haven't had good experiences in years past (and with my old user name) but it only takes getting burned once...

We are also on your November Serenade cruise….but I don't think we have posted on it or even read it (until now) because we are on so many others between now and next November.

Now that I have read it, I agree with you, it does seem that some on the roll call have previously sailed together and are tending to chat with each other, however, others are continuing to join. Some are on a B2B. Some are at a high level of Crown and Anchor. BUT, really, is that being snobbish??

If we were active on that Roll Call hope that we would have asked you about retirement (we are retired) and especially your name as referring to "handbells" (we used to play them in our church). Heck, I hope we would have said to you "Welcome to the Roll Call". I'll now go sign up and you can welcome us.;):D;)

With that said, we are on a B2B, will be Pinnacle a year before the ship sails, and cruise a lot. It is our wish that we are viewed as friendly rather than snobbish. I don't think it is totally fair to judge someone by the number of cruises they have taken, the number they have booked, their Crown and Anchor level, or whether or not they have sailed previously with others on the Roll Call….none of this screams "snob" to me but rather refers to their cruise history.

We enjoy first time cruisers and 100 times cruisers…it's their heart, attitude, and personality that draw us into a second or third conversation while on a cruise. Give the roll call a chance…it might develop into something that you enjoy.:)

I did not notice that you had welcomed any of the people that signed on after you posted. Let's get started…I'm going there to post now.

Edited by beachnative

We are also on your November Serenade cruise….but I don't think we have posted on it or even read it (until now) because we are on so many others between now and next November.

Now that I have read it, I agree with you, it does seem that some on the roll call have previously sailed together and are tending to chat with each other, however, others are continuing to join. Some are on a B2B. Some are at a high level of Crown and Anchor. BUT, really, is that being snobbish??

If we were active on that Roll Call hope that we would have asked you about retirement (we are retired) and especially your name as referring to "handbells" (we used to play them in our church). Heck, I hope we would have said to you "Welcome to the Roll Call". I'll now go sign up and you can welcome us.;):D;)

With that said, we are on a B2B, will be Pinnacle a year before the ship sails, and cruise a lot. It is our wish that we are viewed as friendly rather than snobbish. I don't think it is totally fair to judge someone by the number of cruises they have taken, the number they have booked, their Crown and Anchor level, or whether or not they have sailed previously with others on the Roll Call….none of this screams "snob" to me but rather refers to their cruise history.

We enjoy first time cruisers and 100 times cruisers…it's their heart, attitude, and personality that draw us into a second or third conversation while on a cruise. Give the roll call a chance…it might develop into something that you enjoy.:)

I did not notice that you had welcomed any of the people that signed on after you posted. Let's get started…I'm going there to post now.

Excellent Post and so agree with you.

LuLu

Some of our roll calls have been that way . Especially when they go and create a FB page for the cruise:rolleyes:.

But most of the time

When there are cruisers that have cruised together before, they tend to exchange more posts than with others.

I don't think they do it on purpose thou:confused:.

Don't let the roll call bother you this far out, they are quite quiet until closer to the sailing date.

We are lowly Gold members, and are finally doing the cruises we have dreamed about for the past 30 years (We had our honeymoon on a Carnival Ship). Our first RCI cruise was on our 25th anniversary, our 2nd will be or 29th Anniversary (and we get to become Platimum) and our 3rd will be our 30th Anniversary (and if it works out we become Emerald).

We are doing the B2B, because 1 week is never enough holiday for me, and I want to try it.

As for your roll call, please ask questions, post items of interest, greet those people joining the roll call after you, and talk about how excited you are for your next cruise! As more members join in, you will have more and more to talk about and will find those that share the excitement with you. Most you your fellow travellers are just like you, and don't know what to say and when.

Edited by Valiamo

Some of our roll calls have been that way . Especially when they go and create a FB page for the cruise:rolleyes:.

But most of the time

When there are cruisers that have cruised together before, they tend to exchange more posts than with others.

I don't think they do it on purpose thou:confused:.

We've got a group who cruise together, book the day the schedules open, start the roll calls and tend to chat a lot. It may put people off because we know each other, but we're always happy to meet new folks. In fact, some of us were the new ones to the group a few years ago. The roll call was intimidating at first, but we persevered and ended up with great friends.

1. I know what you mean.

2. I can be very active on a Roll Call, or I can take a look at that kind of activity and then hang back.

3. I find that, even when I WANT to be in contact with Roll Call members while on board, I don't see them.

So don't worry about it.

:)

I thought that was just the way roll calls work. You just hop on, say hi I am doing this trip, this is a post that then gets you updates for the posts on the roll call, and that is what heaps of people seem to do.

Then you join the Meet and Mingle on the cruise line link thing at the top of the thread, and when you meet them face to face on board, sometimes you click, and sometimes you don't.

Then if you keep reading it seems people ask if someone wants to do an excursion or whatever and then you say, hey I want to do that too.

Then if you get ignored I would take it personally.

Generally I have found many of the starting posters disappear, or cancel the cruise or whatever, and unless someone steps up to run the roll call, it just ambles along being an info place. But roll calls are not always run by anyone, from my experience.

So don't presume you are being snobbed. Don't read more into silence than what is actually there. Also don't miss the meet and mingle, at worst you get to sit around for a little while, but I have found them quite inclusive of everyone.

Edited by goodycruising