Midnight Buffet

masterty

My upcoming Alaska Cruise on the Star will be my first Princess Cruise. Does Princess do anything like a Midnight Buffet that I have enjoyed from other cruise ships. Here are some photos showing what I am talking about.

14277319897_2f6d00fd5e_z.jpg

14440670016_7f6f7aeaf1_z_d.jpg

14462412752_0440d6fe94_z.jpg

14277132259_c19e270e4b_z.jpg

14277161840_40e5ee159d_z.jpg

No. The buffet will be open until about 11pm. The International Cafe is open 24/7.

I thought Horizon Court was open 24/7 too. I always enjoyed going there after 1 am for a snack. Officers and Ent's crew would be there most nights.

I thought Horizon Court was open 24/7 too. I always enjoyed going there after 1 am for a snack. Officers and Ent's crew would be there most nights.

News to me too. I've been there well after 11:00, and yes usually only one side is open but its been open. Maybe something has changed.

The Horizon court was shut down at around 11PM or 12 on all their ships about 2 years ago as I recall. :( Since the introduction of the international cafe they thought it was unnecessary since not a lot of people used it in the middle of the night & the snacks that the IC offered were sufficient.

There's also room service with a limited selection open all night.

News to me too. I've been there well after 11:00, and yes usually only one side is open but its been open. Maybe something has changed.

yes one side is open if you want to get a coffee or tea

If it's vegetable art that you are looking for there is slim to none on Princess. They do have an ice sculpture demonstration which is displayed in the buffet and on occasion I have seen a vegetable display or two but nothing like the big extravaganza that the cruise lines did years ago.

Most lines I have cruised discarded that years ago. Celebrity does a brunch, usually on the last sea day, with all the fancy carvings. EM

Celebrity did away with the brunch just recently. There was a whole thread about whether it was missed or not. Supposedly they replaced the brunch with a cotton candy machine and a chocolate fountain in the Ocean View Cafe'. Hardly a replacement if you enjoyed the brunch.

The Horizon court was shut down at around 11PM or 12 on all their ships about 2 years ago as I recall. :( Since the introduction of the international cafe they thought it was unnecessary since not a lot of people used it in the middle of the night & the snacks that the IC offered were sufficient.

There's also room service with a limited selection open all night.

Boy, I take a 4 year break from cruising and look what happens...they go and change stuff :) Good thing I have a cabin on the Plaza deck that's a mere crawl from the IC for my August cruise on the CB :)

Thanks for the info....learned something new today!

Boy, I take a 4 year break from cruising and look what happens...they go and change stuff :) Good thing I have a cabin on the Plaza deck that's a mere crawl from the IC for my August cruise on the CB :)

Thanks for the info....learned something new today!

The IC is open 24/7, but after 11pm the sandwiches and salads are gone. They have cookies, cheese, crackers, dried fruit, desserts, cookies, snack stuff over night.

There was a LOT of food wasted on those overnight buffet services, between decorations and prepared items, and despite the reputation, not that much consumption - mostly grazers.

The IC is stocked according to demand, Had one friend on our last cruise who liked a midnight snack of a roast beef sandwich. He asked the first night, and each night thereafter they had one for him under the counter to pick up.

Depends on the itinerary and activity.. If no one is out late, they will shut it down sometimes.

They usually have the pizza station on the buffet deck open later don't they? I thought it was open till like 2am or something.

There was a LOT of food wasted on those overnight buffet services, between decorations and prepared items, and despite the reputation, not that much consumption - mostly grazers.
You're right. There was an enormous amount of food wasted. Not to mention staff needed to keep the buffet running. Very few people went to the buffet and yes, the cruise lines (including Princess) have cut back but then cruise pricing has remained the same or even lower than it used to be. Some lines, such as HAL, close up the buffet tighter than a drum at 8pm. Even if you're in the middle of dinner and don't make it to get dessert, you're outta luck.

They usually have the pizza station on the buffet deck open later don't they? I thought it was open till like 2am or something.

Usually closed by 10 PM. We normally watch MUTS late in the evening and they are cleaning up.

You're right. There was an enormous amount of food wasted. Not to mention staff needed to keep the buffet running. Very few people went to the buffet and yes, the cruise lines (including Princess) have cut back but then cruise pricing has remained the same or even lower than it used to be. Some lines, such as HAL, close up the buffet tighter than a drum at 8pm. Even if you're in the middle of dinner and don't make it to get dessert, you're outta luck.

I so agree. I hate to see food wasted. As for HAL closing up early, yes, I guess you are right, but they have a much better room service menu than Princess so it never is/was a problem.

Late nigh buffet extravaganzas no longer exist on Princess.

Up until about 3 years ago, there was a deck party one evening with a great buffet of fruits and desserts (and carved fruit on display) about 11 PM, but the deck party now exists without that great buffet.