Delay ships Saturday Port Everglades?

Mullwi

Not sure I'm going to make it to ship by 4pm Saturday due to flight cancellations. Do you think they might delay departure since others will likely have difficulty as well?

Not sure I'm going to make it to ship by 4pm Saturday due to flight cancellations. Do you think they might delay departure since others will likely have difficulty as well?

If there are enough passengers delayed, yes it possible.

We were on the Ruby when this happened.

I also was on a ship that delayed departure for the same reason. Wishing you luck! Hope you have insurance in the event you don't make it on time. The weather in the northeast the last two nights have been horrible...in addition to the hurricane affected areas. Up and down the east coast are many flight delays. Stay safe.

Edited by kendon

I've experienced delayed sailings to wait for passengers arriving late due to flight delays. In the Cruise Personalizer there's a section were you give Princess your flight information. I certainly wouldn't depend upon them looking at that info & I'd call their phone number for delayed passengers which if I recall correctly is on the boarding pass.

I'm sure that many passengers will be in the same situation as you & that Princess will do everything possible to wait for passengers.

Thanks everyone. I do have princess insurance, but didn't realize it doesn't cover my airfare booked on own... but I hope I don't have to use it because I miss ship!!!

Instead of posting here, you should already have been on your way to the airport to catch a flight now. Why wait for the storm to arrive, when you have ample warning of its approach? Most airlines will work with you to switch your outbound flight in the teeth of adverse weather.

Having read here on CC about so many close calls and missed flights I would likely make my reservations to arrive at least one day early. I'd much rather pay for a night in a hotel and the attendant meals that go with it than to deal with the stress of a delayed or cancelled flight and maybe miss my cruise completely.

I think I would be trying to change my flight if at all possible.

Unfortunately Princess offices are now closed, but you should have let Princess know about your problem as soon as you did.

Probably will be closed on July 4 also.

Don't forget that if the ship sails at 4pm, you should be checked in and on the ship by 3pm. I agree with Annie: I'd head to the airport and grab the first flight out. This is one of the risks of flying in embarkation day. Particularly during hurricane season. :(

This is one reason why it's so important to make sure your independent flight information is in your Personalizer. That way, Princess knows which passengers are arriving and when. The ship may or may not wait. There's no guarantee that it will even if several hundred passengers are still in transit.

Edited by Pam in CA

We were scheduled to go on a summer cruise and planned to go the day of the cruise. (This was pre EZAir by Princess.) We did purchase the Princess basic insurance. We were to embark in Ft. Lauderdale. We flew from Cleveland to Atlanta where everything came to a stand still. Hurricane Dan was driving across the state of Florida. No one was going to the state by air - so said the state until he crossed. The airport filled with many people going on various cruises, different lines and different embarkation ports. Another couple on our first flight turned around and went back to Cleveland. We rolled the dice and stayed. Yes, we called Princess and our travel agent who was in the office until noon. We were put on standby and started out at number 300+. We would move from gate to gate once the ban on flying was lifted. Princess told us that they would NOT be waiting for late comers. Sail time was sail time.

We sat next to a family of 4, going on a 4 day cruise, who did not buy insurance. They never made it to Ft. Myers to make their ship.

We got the last two seats on a plane, told to take the two empty in the back. Doors closed. Then THEY OPENED THE DOORS again as there were two young girls, one under 18, who were to be on the plane but had not made it. We were in their seats. Mom was onboard and planned on leaving them in the airport! Anyway, the girls had shown up at the gate and we got kicked off!

We knew our time was now getting too close to make the ship, but thought, lets keep trying. The gate agents were very upset that the doors were opened, something that's a big no-no, we learned. So, instead of getting put back on the standby list, we were given two first class tickets to FT Lauderdale!

When we arrived at the airport, the Princess reps were waiting for us. Our suitcases were not on our plane but had arrived hours before us. We grabbed them and jumped on the bus that would take us to the ship. There were about 15 others with us. The reps told us we were very lucky that the ship waited.

We rushed to get our cards and get onboard. They had already held muster and we were never called to do one at any time during the trip. Dinner was being served when we boarded. As soon as we got both feet onboard, they pulled away from the port!

From that trip on, we always go a day early and make sure we have great insurance too!

May you get there in one piece and before your ship sails! Roll the dice and go with the flow! Have a great cruise!

We have been delayed leaving port on a couple of occasions due to flight delays both in Southampton and Port Everglades, not sure though whether it was because there was passengers on the flights who had booked directly with Princess or whether they were travelling independently.

Like others I think you should try and get an earlier flight, hope that you make it.

Edited by magandy

On the matter of putting your flight information on the Cruise Personalizer can someone tell me where I can find this?

We are travelling from the UK next January with independent flights, we are arriving 4 days before the cruise tho!

On the matter of putting your flight information on the Cruise Personalizer can someone tell me where I can find this?

We are travelling from the UK next January with independent flights, we are arriving 4 days before the cruise tho!

In the Cruise Personalizer go to the "Flights & Transfers" option & the 2nd choice is:

Provide Independent Air Information

If you have purchased airfare independently of Princess Cruises, enter your flight details so that we know when to expect you.

You can also download a PDF file to complete & fax to Princess in Santa Clarita at least 45 days in advance which you probably don't want to do from the UK:

https://book.princess.com/pdf/cp/Air_Flight_Request.pdf

Edited by Astro Flyer

In the Cruise Personalizer go to the "Flights & Transfers" option & the 2nd choice is:

Provide Independent Air Information

If you have purchased airfare independently of Princess Cruises, enter your flight details so that we know when to expect you.

You can also download a PDF file to complete & fax to Princess in Santa Clarita at least 45 days in advance which you probably don't want to do from the UK:

https://book.princess.com/pdf/cp/Air_Flight_Request.pdf

Thank you for this info Astro Flyer.

I can't find it on the Princess site in the UK, as per usual we are a couple of steps behind the US ;)

However, I have downloaded the form, I have a contact in Princess in Southampton, so I will email him so he can fax it on.

Once again, thanks for help and 'Have a good July 4th' we hold no grudges:)

If many flights originating on the east coast are delayed, it

is pretty likely that ship will wait, especially if they are on

princess-arranged air.

(I know, bad sentence structure)

On the other hand, there are probably many, many pax driving

to ship who would not have air delays.

Whether OP makes the ship or not, this is just one more example of why it is best to come in a day early. Even if OP makes the ship, it is likely to be a stressful day. Not the way I want to start my vacation

You do have time if you start driving. Takes about 21 hours from Mass to FLL.

I agree... I'd consult with the airline and if there were a real possibility the flight might not go or experience a substantial delay, I would have been on the road last night on my way to Ft. Lauderdale in a rental car.

There's still time to try to book a flight from, say, Pittsburgh or another airport unaffected by the storm and drive there in a rental.

Good luck to the OP!!

Lew

Whether OP makes the ship or not, this is just one more example of why it is best to come in a day early. Even if OP makes the ship, it is likely to be a stressful day. Not the way I want to start my vacation

That's what we'd be doing.

As others have noted, this is another example of why you should arrive a day early.

I agree with all the other posters about getting to the port city a day before a cruise.

This advice may be too late for the OP, but may be helpful to people reading this forum,especially those new to cruising.

Better to be relaxing at a hotel than white knuckling it on a trip the day of the cruise!

If you can afford a cruise, you can afford to arrive the day before the cruise.

I entirely agree about arriving at the port at least a day before the sailing. We try and arrive a few days ahead if our schedules permit, but always at least a day early.

That being said, there are lots of legitimate reasons why a person's schedule may not permit them this luxury - we are not all retired, and responsibilities are responsibilities.

Cruise insurance is so important, even for those of us who routinely fly in well ahead of the cruise. There are so many other instances of "life happening" that could cause people to miss their ship.

Hoping the OP makes the cruise!

Edited by ggprincess2004
no caffiene yet this morning, DH is working on it

For the OP...and anyone else who flys...

Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection allows you to purchase flight insurance up to the same day as travel. You really need to consider purchasing it only if you foresee problems. If the OP's flight is cancelled or delayed, it would help defray costs of getting to the first port of call.

I haven't used it, but have the app on my iPhone just in case. Berkshire Hathaway is a very reputable company.

Lew

Edited by -Lew-

Like others, I always recommend flying down the day before. But sometimes it's not possible. If I can't fly down the day before, I try to get the earliest direct flight possible. There are too many variables with connecting flights to rely on them. Once when we flew down the day before, our flight was delayed because of weather in the northeast. Our plane was stuck in New Hampshire. We took off about six hours late. We had a connection in Orlando. We barely made it. Our luggage did not. But since we were staying in a hotel, our airline was able to deliver the luggage to us when it made it in--sometime during the night.