Farewell to the Martini Bar

jelayne

Hi all,

With that being said, we have passed on the feedback from our guests, and will be sure that the volume in the Martini Bar is not too high, and not too low, but just right.

Thanks for this feedback, it is appreciated.

I wish you all the best though - perhaps you can have hearing aids and ear plugs available for guests who may not agree on the chosen volume level ;):D

Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback over the past few days. We have most recently rolled out a brand new position to all of our ships, Production Manager B who is dedicated to monitoring all venues on board the ship from a production standpoint, including music levels. Our shipboard teams are also clear on ensuring that our the ambiance for our guests and each venue is suitable. We continue to strive to outfit our ships with entertainment and music that all of our guests can enjoy throughout the ship.

With that being said, we have passed on the feedback from our guests, and will be sure that the volume in the Martini Bar is not too high, and not too low, but just right.

The baby bear thanks you.:)

On a Summit just now they have a drummer and girl with some computer kit on the bridge opposite the martini bar - it's a killer

Worse if they are not on they play boom boom music so you cannot hear the great sounds from Nestor, Tammy or the Lost Boys on Deck 5 - big big mistake Celebrity

Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback over the past few days. We have most recently rolled out a brand new position to all of our ships, Production Manager B who is dedicated to monitoring all venues on board the ship from a production standpoint, including music levels. Our shipboard teams are also clear on ensuring that our the ambiance for our guests and each venue is suitable. We continue to strive to outfit our ships with entertainment and music that all of our guests can enjoy throughout the ship.

Has the front office determined a decibel level for "just right"?

Thanks.

Hi all,

Thanks so much. I think that is all everyone is looking for...not too loud and not too low, but just right. Thanks again.

Thank you Celebrity Cruises for the update. It sounds like a welcome new position. Hopefully, they will be able to "read" the demographics on a particular sailing, & adjust things accordingly.

Bottom line- we talked, you listened. Can't ask for more than that.

Has the front office determined a decibel level for "just right"?

Thanks.

I'm going to hope that the decision is left to the person in this new position. I don't think there is one "just right" level across all ships on all cruises.

Hi all,

Thank you for listening! We will be on the Silhouette for the TA in November, looking forward to my evening martini before dinner and enjoying conversation with my fellow passengers.

Dave

Thank you Celebrity Cruises for reading Cruise Critic, answering the concerns and trying to please the majority. We love the Martini Bar especially but not if we can't communicate with fellow passengers. See you on the Equinox and Reflection next year!

LOL, another cruise???

Dear Celebrity Cruises, we all do appreciate your reply...however, with all due respect, the same issue was back in March, on the "Hey Celebrity - Loud music does not mean a younger demographic" thread and at that time, 6 months ago, you said you would be looking into the music issue. Since it has continued to be a problem (not for me, I was just off the geriatric Canada cruise and the levels were great) - but it seems to still be a problem for many...how do we know this time there will really be a compromise met?

I'm sorry I'm not techie enough to link the thread/your post.

Dear Celebrity Cruises, we all do appreciate your reply...however, with all due respect, the same issue was back in March, on the "Hey Celebrity - Loud music does not mean a younger demographic" thread and at that time, 6 months ago, you said you would be looking into the music issue. Since it has continued to be a problem (not for me, I was just off the geriatric Canada cruise and the levels were great) - but it seems to still be a problem for many...how do we know this time there will really be a compromise met?

Warmwinds...here is the link to that thread........it was back in

in March/April.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2002130&highlight=loud+music

Edited by Lois R

Wow! I'm impressed but still skeptical. Thanks for reading and commenting Celebrity.

I think I have solved the problem for myself though. I will bring ear plugs

qnp7i1.png

and just nod and smile....maybe some will even be thankful I'm not talking!:rolleyes:

Edited by BecciBoo

Personally I find this amusing. "Just right" for one person is going to be unbearably loud for another. All you have to do is read this thread to realize that. I think you'll continue to see just what we have in the past. Okay most of the time with an occasional loudness complaint.

For some reason many posters are assuming that Celebrity Cruises is saying the volume will be turned down to the level they are wanting where they can sit and chat. I don't see Celebrity Cruises saying that at all.

Hi all,

Thank you! I started this thread because we love the Martini bar and the upbeat, lively atmosphere. Now we will head back to the Martini bar on the Eclipse in January.

Personally I find this amusing. "Just right" for one person is going to be unbearably loud for another. All you have to do is read this thread to realize that. I think you'll continue to see just what we have in the past. Okay most of the time with an occasional loudness complaint.

For some reason many posters are assuming that Celebrity Cruises is saying the volume will be turned down to the level they are wanting where they can sit and chat. I don't see Celebrity Cruises saying that at all.

I see exactly that.

The only times that normal conversation, even in slightly raised voices, was even remotely possible was when the volume was mid-range. When it was too loud for any conversation, as it infrequently was, that would be the "too loud" they are referring to. When it was nothing more than background music (which we don't recall), that would be "too low."

I think you are correct on all counts.

Personally I find this amusing. "Just right" for one person is going to be unbearably loud for another.

You might be right, but I don't really think so. Having personally experienced the volume of music that people are talking about, I don't think any reasonable person would find it "Just right"

I see exactly that.

The only times that normal conversation, even in slightly raised voices, was even remotely possible was when the volume was mid-range. When it was too loud for any conversation, as it infrequently was, that would be the "too loud" they are referring to. When it was nothing more than background music (which we don't recall), that would be "too low."

Agreed. I am sure if they have someone on each ship making sure the musicians aren't competing with each other they will soon come to the sweet spot where most people are satisfied most of the time.

Honestly, we need to go back and tell Bell Laboratories that they were completely off the mark over 100 years ago when they came up with a method of measuring the loudness of sound (decibels). Someone should have told them it is only a matter of opinion, that sound levels that approach painful for you is only your opinion, perhaps not shared by others. Have no idea why certain sound levels are illegal in certain jurisdictions, localities, etc. Can't we have a difference of opinion?

Even when Celebrity seems to be taking a middle road, some think that the loud music (which I will bet big money they NEVER heard) will continue. Amazing.

Edited by ECCruise

It is medical science that tells us prolonged exposure to loud music will cause increasing hearing impairment. I know that there are some of you that may not think so, and may be lucky that it does not effect you. But if you cannot talk to someone standing next to you be it a bar, concert, work site, without shouting you are in a problematic location. Depending on the level of music it could take anywhere from a couple of minutes to an hour. If it hits rock concert levels it could be much shorter. Over 1/3 of hearing loss is attributable to loud noise. Look at it another way, if someone told you every time you listened to very loud music you would go a little blind, and the next time a little more blind shouldn't you be concerned. There are devices called sound meters, these are easy to use to determine safe or unsafe noise conditions, just like thermometers used in the ships galley to determine if the freezer and refrigerator is cold enough so food does not spoil.