Why does Celebrity Have the WORST Entertainment on board?

Feelin' Nauti'

Isn't entertainment subjective? Just like food? Just like a lot of things?

What one person likes, another person may hate...well, hate may be

a strong word, but you get the idea. What you like, may not appeal to

me and I what I enjoy, you may think is ridiculous. I am guessing they

are not going to please everyone.

How true! I remember reading on here how some just loved the old horse races from long ago and I just kept thinking "just shoot me if they come back," since I thought they were the silliest thing I ever saw. The great thing is, if we don't like something, no one is forcing us to see it, as there is always something else to do.

Why does Celebrity out of all the other cruise lines lack variety of live music performances' date=' game shows where pax can participate, activities near pool, guest star comedy acts, and unique and creative shows?[/b']

Having sailed on Celebrity many times, honestly entertainment isn't their strength. Unlike RC, their sister, they do not have a broadway show or multiple entertainment venues. Some of the shows and evening entertainment is very good, like sin city comedy, some --not so. Around the ship, you will also find some good performances by bands and piano entertainment. They have the usual trivia games and karoke some times.

I am not a fan of pool type so called entertainment. They do have a staff vs. guest volleyball contest. In addition they have live performances by bands and zumba in the mornings.

Celebrity has many other strenghts that make it an excellent choice for a well rounded cruise.

Enjoy your cruise-whatever you decide.

I have never been disappointed with Celebrity's entertainment. Much is very good, while some is only good. But from my experience, none is bad, and certainly not "the worst".

Agree. I for one am glad that they stay away from the silly pool games like the belly flop contest.

The passenger-participation stuff passing as "entertainment" on some other lines is always painfully bad, in my opinion, so I don't mind X keeping it to a minimum. And the poolside stuff we've seen elsewhere is pretty awful as well, involving who has the hairiest chest, the biggest chest, the hairiest legs etc. Activities better suited to Spring Break.

We love what X offers in terms of live music, variety shows and fly-on entertainers.

I sailed on my first cruise in 1986 on Carnival. 28yrs later and they are still counting chest hairs.:rolleyes: With the new trend of shaving, waxing and laser manscaping hopefully this form of entertainment will become extinct. I do find the competitive relay pool games which they have on Princess more enjoyable.

It is what it is you make the most of what you want of it on each cruise. NCL has great entertainment but lacks in lots of other areas, we enjoy modern luxury that's why we sail with X.

Enjoy life and keep smiling

Having sailed on Celebrity many times, honestly entertainment isn't their strength. Unlike RC, their sister, they do not have a broadway show or multiple entertainment venues. Some of the shows and evening entertainment is very good, like sin city comedy, some --not so. Around the ship, you will also find some good performances by bands and piano entertainment. They have the usual trivia games and karoke some times.

I am not a fan of pool type so called entertainment. They do have a staff vs. guest volleyball contest. In addition they have live performances by bands and zumba in the mornings.

Celebrity has many other strenghts that make it an excellent choice for a well rounded cruise.

Enjoy your cruise-whatever you decide.

RCCL only has Broadway venues on Oasis and Allure, right?

On smaller ships production shows are pretty comparable to X's.

I tend to agree with the OP. although we loved our equinox cruise in April, we felt there was a lack of entertainment in the evenings, unless you wanted to goto a deck party every night, which we still enjoyed.

I did enjoy the entertainment on equinox. There just wasn't that much to be found, unlike our last cruise last month on Princess which had no less than 6 different entertainment venues to choose between after dinner and well into the evening, many bands playing in different venues at the same time as well as a production show, as well as game shows, comedy. Et cet.

It was after our cruise that they cut the entertainment staff on equinox, so I can't imagine having even less things to choose from

I have assumed the same production shows are on all Celebrity ships. While it isn't a make or break thing for us i have occasionally wondered if I would choose a different sailing to see different performances. Now that we are used to skipping them rather than sitting through them a third time, probably not. But I might for the RCI shows.

I did notice some of the musical performances were uneven. One evening I really enjoyed three women singing for two songs and then suddenly they were off key. I don't think they noticed. Then I kept silently hoping for them to get it together, the same way I am hopeful for a school talent show.

Different strokes for different folks. There's a vast difference between RCL and Celebrity and Carnival and NCL. 24 restaurants on some ships, icecapades shows on others, zip lining. Celebrity has it's own personality...

Exactly. Different people enjoy different forms of entertainment.

Exactly. Different people enjoy different forms of entertainment.

That's true but I think a lot of the complaints are that a lot of the entertainment that Celebrity used to have (string quartets, jazz groups. other live music) have been cut back/cut out.

Personally I have grown tired of the big production shows. They all seem to be the same and unfortunately some of the background music/vocals are canned. Princess had a Jersey Boys type of tribute to the Four Seasons that was outstanding. HAL had a guy (who may now be on X) that did a great Elton John comedy/music show. Things like this get my attention and I am much more likely to attend...but some people love the production shows.

Perhaps you haven't seen pianist John Bressler on a Celebrity cruise -- an amazingly talented guy that might change your impression.

Look -- I agree that many ship-shows are disappointing. But like most things in life, if you can find one or two you really enjoy on a sailing, it makes the others worth suffering thru.

Perhaps you haven't seen pianist John Bressler on a Celebrity cruise -- an amazingly talented guy that might change your impression.

Look -- I agree that many ship-shows are disappointing. But like most things in life, if you can find one or two you really enjoy on a sailing, it makes the others worth suffering thru.

My DH and I used to sit in the front of the theatre, now we sit toward the back or the balcony near an isle. If we find a show that we do not like (we dislike jugglers and circus type performers,) we leave early and do something else. As you say- you cannot love every show- But we will no longer suffer through things we dislike.

HAL had a guy (who may now be on X) that did a great Elton John comedy/music show. Things like this get my attention and I am much more likely to attend...but some people love the production shows.

Dunno if it's the same guy, but there was an Elton John impersonator

on the December 9 2013 "11 Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise" aboard Equinox. He did an excellent job.

on the December 9 2013 "11 Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise" aboard Equinox. He did an excellent job.

Just remembered. His name was Joel Mason. Not sure if that was the same one but hope he is on the Equinox when we go in February.

I remember seeing him on my only HAL cruise......personally, I thought

he was fantastic!:)....He dressed up in "Elton Attire" and it was one of

the few things I really loved about that sailing.

Just remembered. His name was Joel Mason. Not sure if that was the same one but hope he is on the Equinox when we go in February.

I couldn't remember so I checked our daily log. Neil Lockwood did the Elton John tribute on the Equinox. Some of you may remember him as former lead singer with the Alan Parsons Project and ELO 2.

(Correction on the itinerary. He was on the Transatlantic prior to the Caribbean. We did a B2B on Equinox and I guess I was in sensory overload remembering what fun we had!)

:)

That is the same person I saw on HAL.......too bad I missed him

since I haven't sailed Equinox since May 2012. I loved his show:)

Edited by Lois R

Why does Celebrity out of all the other cruise lines lack variety of live music performances' date=' game shows where pax can participate, activities near pool, guest star comedy acts, and unique and creative shows?[/b']

Some of you people need to get out a bit more.

I have managed ships for all the major cruise lines.

Currently Princess and HAL are in a dead heat for worst entertainment at sea.

Currently HAL has the advantage with old ships, lack of technology, and low entertainment budgets.

Take one HAL or Princess cruise and you will be begging Celebrity to take you back.

Some of you people need to get out a bit more.

I have managed ships for all the major cruise lines.

Currently Princess and HAL are in a dead heat for worst entertainment at sea.

Currently HAL has the advantage with old ships, lack of technology, and low entertainment budgets.

Take one HAL or Princess cruise and you will be begging Celebrity to take you back.

I completely disagree. I found there was far more to do on Princess than on Celebrity. But, I don't travel for the entertainment.