Just Rude!!

golfb4cruzing

We we're on the 11/8 sailing of the Ruby and after boarding wandered up to the Sanctuary to check on availability. We had boarded early in the process and there were only 3 or 4 folks in front of us. Then as we are all standing there, this heavily bedazzled elderly woman walked straight up to the worker at the checkin podium and made herself next in line. After a couple of shots across her bow, by the people who were next, she gave them a "peasant - please!!" look and the worker took care of her. And she was in no rush in picking her seat either. My wife saved the worker that day because it was my full intention to let him know, if he assisted Broomhilda before the rightfully standing folks, I was headed downstairs and formally complain. You can't fix entitled nitwits but I can cause problems for staff. I'm sure he felt bullied and in a no win situation with this crazy woman. This cruise was a very rude trip and all seniors which I was really surprised. Maybe I need to get out more. After that we walked away because I would have felt compelled to stalk that woman every day.

Have seen this happen too many times on Princess and Carnival. I basically got the same from the excursion desk on our last cruise so we will stick with Oceania and the smaller boats. To many I am entitled people now on these bigger boats. Princess just sold one of the smaller boats back to Oceania so that must be a growing market, just hope it does not get to big.

Have seen this happen too many times on Princess and Carnival. I basically got the same from the excursion desk on our last cruise so we will stick with Oceania and the smaller boats. To many I am entitled people now on these bigger boats. Princess just sold one of the smaller boats back to Oceania so that must be a growing market, just hope it does not get to big.

I beg to differ, simply there are too many entitled people in the world, it has nothing to do with big ship small ship, the only difference is on a big ship there are more people so more entitled people, more drunk people, more rude people, just more of everything, thank goodness it also means more nice people.

Entitled people won't take a cruise that costs almost 3 times more. The more expensive the cruise the more the people on board earned what they have and appreciate others that have done the same. Have done Oceania, Regent, Paul Gaugin, others and have never seen this type of behavior.

This happens and above all it is not the crews fault. To run 'downstairs' and report the crew members is in my opinion dumb. They have little control over what happens. More appropriate might be to say 'Wow that was something, I admire your patience'. Everyone wins.

Entitled people won't take a cruise that costs almost 3 times more. The more expensive the cruise the more the people on board earned what they have and appreciate others that have done the same. Have done Oceania, Regent, Paul Gaugin, others and have never seen this type of behavior.

I'm sorry, but the idea that rich people deserve what they've got more than the rest of us is a nice little myth perpetuated by...rich people. Increasingly, the USA is less of a meritocracy than a plutocracy, and a lot of the superrich got a lot of their shekels the old-fashioned way - they inherited them.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2014/03/inequality

But fortunately, we never see filthy-rich entertainers or sports figures who've risen from nothing behaving in rude or dismissive ways.

Edited by shepp

This happens and above all it is not the crews fault. To run 'downstairs' and report the crew members is in my opinion dumb. They have little control over what happens. More appropriate might be to say 'Wow that was something, I admire your patience'. Everyone wins.

I disagree. Everyone behind the rude person was inconvenienced by having to wait that much longer. And the rude person had their "entitlement" reinforced instead of receiving a small lesson in proper behavior that, if taken to heart (unlikely I know), would have served her much better in the long run.

I'd be ticked off too. There's no excuse for cutting in line.

I've accidently done it when the end of the line was not clearly identified! Now I ask, "Who's on the end of the queue?" Always get the info, and several times a gentleman with a full trolley has sent me ahead of him as, "I'm going to take a while, you'd better go first so you can have a sit down if you need it." I do use a rollator for balance problems, so most people are aware of some difficulty-limited sight isn't as obvious though. Several regular shoppers have got to know me, and advised of delays where they could. I won't use the self-service machines, too complicated for me.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Unfortunately, our society is creating more and more people who feel entitled.

And of course this behavior does not show up only on cruise ships.

I volunteer at a food pantry that is in a church basement. Yesterday we were stocking shelves before we were open to distribute food. A lady knocked on the back door. I told her we were not open yet. She said she needed to use the bathroom, so I let her in.

Instead of going to the bathroom, she went and signed in so she and her friends (she was signing in more than one name) could be at the top of the list to be able to get their food.

I saw what she did, and tried to shame her. But, she was shameless. In retrospect, I should have ripped up the list and told her to get out.

People cut in line everyday at all sorts of places, supermarkets, movies etc.... so why is it any different on a cruise ship and why does it merit a thread.

Shall I start a thread about the nice person who held the elevator door for me on a cruise ship?

Edited by cruzsnooze

If you were from New York (the capital of rude) like we are you would have said, "Yo Beatch get to the back of the line"! My wife who commutes to Manhattan everyday has told many people off who tried to cut the bus line. She is especially bitchy when it's a cold day and she has been standing there for 15-20 minutes. Someone told her to shut up and boy was he sorry. You can't blame the staff. They are paid to be nice and are afraid of confrontation. You need to be assertive when someone tries to take advantage.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Not sure why others standing in line didn't object and tell her in a nice way in case she was confused that she was not next and needed to get to the end of the line. :confused:

LuLu

I work in retail and see this behavior everyday. Nice doesn't work. They pretend that they are deaf and ignore you. You have to call them out on their behavior full force.

If you were from New York (the capital of rude) like we are you would have said, "Yo Beatch get to the back of the line"! My wife who commutes to Manhattan everyday has told many people off who tried to cut the bus line. She is especially bitchy when it's a cold day and she has been standing there for 15-20 minutes. Someone told her to shut up and boy was he sorry. You can't blame the staff. They are paid to be nice and are afraid of confrontation. You need to be assertive when someone tries to take advantage.

That commute story reminds of a scene I once witnessed on my way to work. As usual, the bus was full and standing room only. One rather big teenager, oblivious to the rest of the world around him sat all sprawled out on one seat with his back pack occupying the seat next to him. A tiny little lady stood next to that seat for a while and then sat right on top of his back pack. The kid yelled at her "Hey, that's my f'n back pack!". The little lady looked straight at him and yelled back "Then get it off my f'n seat!". As we were all standing, she got a standing ovation. :-)

That commute story reminds of a scene I once witnessed on my way to work. As usual, the bus was full and standing room only. One rather big teenager, oblivious to the rest of the world around him sat all sprawled out on one seat with his back pack occupying the seat next to him. A tiny little lady stood next to that seat for a while and then sat right on top of his back pack. The kid yelled at her "Hey, that's my f'n back pack!". The little lady looked straight at him and yelled back "Then get it off my f'n seat!". As we were all standing, she got a standing ovation. :-)

Yep my wife caused a mutiny with her outburst as well.

We we're on the 11/8 sailing of the Ruby and after boarding wandered up to the Sanctuary to check on availability. We had boarded early in the process and there were only 3 or 4 folks in front of us. Then as we are all standing there, this heavily bedazzled elderly woman walked straight up to the worker at the checkin podium and made herself next in line. After a couple of shots across her bow, by the people who were next, she gave them a "peasant - please!!" look and the worker took care of her. And she was in no rush in picking her seat either. My wife saved the worker that day because it was my full intention to let him know, if he assisted Broomhilda before the rightfully standing folks, I was headed downstairs and formally complain. You can't fix entitled nitwits but I can cause problems for staff. I'm sure he felt bullied and in a no win situation with this crazy woman. This cruise was a very rude trip and all seniors which I was really surprised. Maybe I need to get out more. After that we walked away because I would have felt compelled to stalk that woman every day.
Lighten up. Life is too short to get upset about such inconsequential things. Remember, you are on a vacation.

I once saw a fist fight break out on a cruise due to cutting the line:eek:

It was our first cruise and disembarkation day, and in those days they didn't conduct orderly disembarktion as is done now and we also were significantly delayed disembarking and people were frantic that they would miss their planes

And this same couple who had been cutting all week tried to pull it again but this guy, Vinnie called him out and they went to fisticuffs :D

Needless to say, this happened on Carnival back in 1992

This approach is exactly why this tactic is pulled. Common courtesy is slowly dying.