Return Flight Check-in

Jane T

Our return flight after the cruise is on Southwest. If you don't check-in exactly 24 hours in advance you are stuck with middle seats in the back of the plane. Is there an opportunity to check-in for our return flight while on the cruise besides purchasing internet time? Does the Passenger Services desk help?

There is usually a 1-day special Internet pricing package so passengers can check in for their flights. The Internet isn't free. Be forewarned, however, that a lot of people are doing the same thing at the same time so connection can be very, very slow or sketchy the last day or so.

:) Pam

No, if you want to check in with Southwest 24 hours in advance on the cruise ship, you are going to have to buy (slow) internet minutes. (Or there's the Early Bird option, I guess.)

You may not need to worry about checking in 24 hours in advance on Southwest. My son, who cruised with us at the end of December, couldn't check in for his Southwest flight (a 2pm flight from Hobby to Love Field) until after 8am that same day and he had a low B number.

Instead of trying to check-in for a SWA flight from the ship within 24 hours, I pay $12.50 for Earlybird Check-In to avoid a group C (as in center ;)).

EarlyBird Check-In

We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Instead of trying to check-in for a SWA flight from the ship within 24 hours, I pay $12.50 for Earlybird Check-In to avoid a group C (as in center ;)).

EarlyBird Check-In

We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

I second that....always do this weather on a cruise or just a land based vacation. Hate to sit around waiting for the exact minute to check in....life is too short. So, if you are worried about it, just do the EB check in and relax.

EarlyBird Check-In

We used this after our June cruise and were the first to board the plane. I highly recommend this service.

No, if you want to check in with Southwest 24 hours in advance on the cruise ship, you are going to have to buy (slow) internet minutes. (Or there's the Early Bird option, I guess.)

You may not need to worry about checking in 24 hours in advance on Southwest. My son, who cruised with us at the end of December, couldn't check in for his Southwest flight (a 2pm flight from Hobby to Love Field) until after 8am that same day and he had a low B number.

We also had no problem checking in on the same morning at the airport.

A lot of your fellow Southwest passengers will also be coming back from cruises. I don't find it as urgent to check in exactly 24 hours beforehand as it is when flying from my home city to Fort Lauderdale. That being said, I use my free Internet minutes to check in when I can. The Internet connection can be very slow. We generally have been able to get a low B number.

When we've taken cruises on Holland America--without any free Internet time--I've either purchased the early bird or else waited until early morning on disembarkation day and checked in through my cell phone when in range of land. Even then, we landed in the B group.

This is the reason we had kids! :D Just joking sort of. But seriously anyone can check you in as has been suggested already. Or purchase the Early Bird gets us an A every time and we have no last day worry to get on the internet. It isn't always a quick and easy process.

One more note: If you have someone at home do it, no worry about a printed boarding pass they will give you a hard copy when you check your luggage.

We agree with the "Early Bird" recommendation. If you want to depend on using the onboard internet connection you can find yourself very disappointed. Our long time habit is to get our boarding numbers exactly 24 hours before...when we are at home, but always buy the Early Bird if we are using SWA on the return trip (coming off a ship).

Hank

EarlyBird Check-In

We also favor the Early Bird check in. We only purchase it for one of us and that one saves a seat for the other. Gotta save wherever we can :D

Another option is to pay $20/pp. for the Princess EZCheck...they check you in, give you a boarding pass & check-in your luggage. You leave your luggage outside on the last evening, go to the airport directly through security and get your luggage at your destination. Unlike SWA Earlybird Check-In the EZCheck is done within 24 hours & not 36 hours but it's convenient to not deal with bags or check-in & to go directly to the gate.

We've also signed up for SW Early Bird for our upcoming cruise. It's good to know that you usually get an "A" pass, as my wife has never flown before (it's also her first cruise so there's just a bevy of firsts here). I would suggest SW Early Bird to the OP as well since internet can be unreliable at sea and there will be hoards of people logging on the last day to check in, print boarding passes, etc (which will slow it down even more). This will allow you to print your boarding passes directly at the airport and still have your early check-in time reserved. No need to worry about fooling around with them on the ship, worrying about keeping up with them through customs and getting your luggage, and all that jazz.

Our return flight after the cruise is on Southwest. If you don't check-in exactly 24 hours in advance you are stuck with middle seats in the back of the plane. Is there an opportunity to check-in for our return flight while on the cruise besides purchasing internet time? Does the Passenger Services desk help?

You are paying maybe $2000 for your cruise and you do not want to pay $12.50 for Early Bird Checkin. The $12.50 cost would be 0.63% of your cruise cost to avoid the hassle of on-line checkin. A bargain in my opinion.

DON

... there will be hoards of people logging on the last day to check in, print boarding passes, etc (which will slow it down even more).
I never print our boarding passes on the ship. Once you've checked in with Southwest, you've guaranteed your spot. When you get to the airport, you can receive your printed boarding pass when you check your luggage.

I never print our boarding passes on the ship. Once you've checked in with Southwest, you've guaranteed your spot. When you get to the airport, you can receive your printed boarding pass when you check your luggage.

Whether SWA (use EB Check-In) or any other airline, I don't waste my time during the last 24 hours onboard to check-in & definitely not to print a boarding pass. A boarding pass is issued when checking in luggage & for those with carryon only there are kiosks to simply print a boarding pass. Some airlines such as Lufthansa & BA charge for advance seat assignments but assignments are free about 24 hours in advance. Even then I'd get someone at home to get our seat assignment at check-in for us; if that was not possible, then I'd go online.

There are other options besides trying to get online with so many passengers who want to check-in & print boarding passes. I've read too many posts from those who get stressed out on their last day trying to complete the process...not me. :p

We've also signed up for SW Early Bird for our upcoming cruise. It's good to know that you usually get an "A" pass, as my wife has never flown before (it's also her first cruise so there's just a bevy of firsts here). I would suggest SW Early Bird to the OP as well since internet can be unreliable at sea and there will be hoards of people logging on the last day to check in, print boarding passes, etc (which will slow it down even more). This will allow you to print your boarding passes directly at the airport and still have your early check-in time reserved. No need to worry about fooling around with them on the ship, worrying about keeping up with them through customs and getting your luggage, and all that jazz.

We don't use it anymore as we have ended up with mostly B and an occasional C. :rolleyes:

We don't use it anymore as we have ended up with mostly B and an occasional C. :rolleyes:

:eek: That's not worth it to get a C group...guess we've been lucky & always get an A group and we're not one of their high level repeat passengers.

:eek: That's not worth it to get a C group...guess we've been lucky & always get an A group and we're not one of their high level repeat passengers.

Have better luck checking at the stroke of 24 hours, or we will have someone back home do it for us.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We also favor the Early Bird check in. We only purchase it for one of us and that one saves a seat for the other. Gotta save wherever we can :D

Unless you buy separate tickets, if you buy one early board check in you have to buy it for each ticket you are buying. You can't buy just one. You are also not allowed to save seats.

Last time I flew them, a guy tried to save seats and people in front of me called him on it - he lost the seats!!

I've done it twice. They say the seat is taken or they are in the bathroom and I say "where are they?" or "I'll move when they come back from the rear of the plane"

People are on to ya!!!

Don't be so cheap - it is only $12