Vancouver - sheets and pillows for cruise?

sarahruby

I know it's supplied...but thinking about picking these items up for our cruise. The idea of being on sheets used by lots of previous cruisers kinda gets to me...even if they are washed!!

Hope I'm not the only one...

Total waste of luggage space.

I would be getting these items at port...would not be with me on the plane.

When you stay in hotels do you bring your own sheets and Pillows?

Actually that is not unheard of... I know of people that do.

Hey I would never do it but if you want to, go right ahead.

There is a Hudson's Bay Department store a few blocks from the port at Canada Place. They sell sheets etc. Google it for directions and store hours.

Have a great cruise!

P.S. Or buy a set on-line and have them shipped to your pre-cruise hotel in Vancouver.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Actually that is not unheard of... I know of people that do.

Well, if that's what you want to do...go ahead. However, you will have to tell your steward that you have switched the sheets and pillows. I assume they will not launder them for you. Also, I am not sure how it would work. But f that's what you want...do it!

I don't find this weird in the least! Our sleep suffered so much, last year, from bad pillows that we are taking our own in March...I don't care how much room they take! We will adjust..I will gladly take less clothes!

But I guarantee that we will sleep like babies..and we will have our own pillowcases too. And I take our own snorkel gear...DH has a stache and I have a small face so both are hard to fit...and we love to snorkel! AND i take my Ipod player...we like our comforts..

OMG...do you bring your own silverware and glasses, too? How about throw rugs to go over the carpets, or your own towels....

This is "germaphobia" overkill! Use the supplied items. You know, other folks are just as clean as you are! Truly!

And, everything is washed in HOT water, with bleach, dried in a HOT drier...no germs or creepy crawlies remain. Promise.

Edited by cb at sea

So, OP, I guess the answer is yes, you are likely the only one. :) Or at least in the minority.

No need for everyone to get in an uproar. I don't believe she said she would go to your house and use her sheets, glasses, forks, etc.

I think the ship sheets would be fine. They are washed in really, really hot water. The pillows aren't always that comfy though. That might be worth the cost and hassle of lugging them around.

Will you have time for shopping in Vancouver? My guess is that you won't be staying in a hotel either (those sheets have also been used by many). If you plan on buying sheets for both the hotel and the ship, the bed sizes could be different.

I do bring my own (small) pillow when I travel. I've never tried sending my pillowcase out with the rest of the laundry, but washed it myself. I have no problem using a washing machine that has also used by lots of previous cruisers who knows what they've washed in there?!?! :eek: ), but that may be a problem for you. Good luck.

I know it's supplied...but thinking about picking these items up for our cruise. The idea of being on sheets used by lots of previous cruisers kinda gets to me...even if they are washed!!

It's not the sheets and pillowcases you need to worry about. The comforters, those are the ones.

pretty sure you are the only one. do you bring your own for hotel stays as well?

I guess you should plan on getting sets of towels as well. You will then be stuck with using the same towels all week that may never have a chance to dry. You will not get nice, dry, freshly washed ones whenever the steward sees soggy ones.

Princess has self-serve laundries if you want to spend valuable vacation time doing laundry. Many times, the washers and dryers are in use so it takes up more time waiting for them.

Keep in mind that the beds are not a standard size. The twins are about 33" wide, and when made into a 'king', they are about 66" wide. I can't remember the length, although I have measured them. So fitted bottom sheets would not fit. And for those that don't like the pillows, you can ask for different ones. On HAL, after several nights, I had to ask for hypoallergenic pillows as my head would stuff up at night. EM

I know people like the OP who have an aversion to germs. One friend of mine travels with a small sheet and covers her airline seat from the headrest all the way down - not kidding and no I won't fly with her. :o Another girl will not use a public rest room EVER. 10 hrs of travel = no bathroom for her - not healthy but I do travel with this one - she's my daughter. :cool:

I say do whatever it takes to make yourself feel good knowing that your sheets may not fit properly - but do alert your room steward so your sheets are not removed.

There are other thinks that I consider to much dirtier than the freshly washed sheets - I take Clorox wipes and do a quick 10 minute wipe down of my own cabin on things that I think might not get enough attention. Phone, remote, knobs & handles.

Edited by Jane2357

So, OP, I guess the answer is yes, you are likely the only one. :) Or at least in the minority.

No need for everyone to get in an uproar. I don't believe she said she would go to your house and use her sheets, glasses, forks, etc.

True! But she hasn't been invited here yet. Who knows what she would do if she ever was! :D

Edited by sloopsailor

My hubby has brought a pillow on our last couple of cruises, but it's a very soft feathery one so it doesn't take up much space -- he actually put it in his guitar case. We drove to the port for those cruises, so he probably won't do it the next time space is at a premium.

But as far as bed linen, I guess if you had an extreme allergy to things washed in regular detergent that may be a reason. But one of our family members is allergic to regular detergent and hasn't had a problem with sleeping in the supplied linen -- heard no complaints about rashes. If one is a true germophobe, there may be other issues on board beyond sleeping in linen that would have been washed in hot water.