Prettiest port from a water view

graygirl

I agree 100% with Venice, Mykonos and San Juan as gorgeous places to sail in and out of but once you are docked at these places the views are nothing special. The original question was asking which port had the best views for someone wanting to sit on their balcony and not get off the ship. Perhaps ambulating is the issue for the OP or someone in their party. :)

Sydney harbour, docked at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. If you're on the side facing the Opera House you'll see this view.

2015-03-20%2012.42.22_zpsundk8n7o.jpg

You'll also see the ferries bustling in and out of Circular Quay.

2015-03-20%2016.49.22_zps69bbliwc.jpg

But I'm biased - I live there :D

Not counting sail-ins or sail-outs but strictly from where you dock (or tender):

1. Istanbul -- lovely views including Haghia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, Suleymanye mosque, and many others. As well, lots of activity on the water.

2. Monemvasia -- just a beautiful view of the old walled city and spectacular scenery behind.

3. Malta -- beautiful harbor with lots to look at including many old buildings in that gorgeous sandy-colored stone.

Villefranche, France.

http://www.home-hunts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/villefra.jpg

We were the only ship in the bay. Woke up and walked out on deck, oh my, the view took my breath away. The mountains come down to the sea, the harbor with fishing and sailing boats.

Charming little town, one train stop to Nice or Monaco.

On a small ship, the view in Shanghai is spectacular. 20+ years ago, across the river from the Bund was farm land. Today it is home to the second tallest building in the world.

Unfortunately the big ships dock outside of town

We took a night-time small-boat ride on the city that was part of a ho-ho bus ticket. The skyscrapers of Pudong were incredible because night-time lighting is one design element. As to the speed of construction, the same thing happened on Manhattan when the mid-town was transformed in the 1920s and all those skyscrapers built.

Not counting sail-ins or sail-outs but strictly from where you dock (or tender):

1. Istanbul -- lovely views including Haghia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, Suleymanye mosque, and many others. As well, lots of activity on the water.

2. Monemvasia -- just a beautiful view of the old walled city and spectacular scenery behind.

3. Malta -- beautiful harbor with lots to look at including many old buildings in that gorgeous sandy-colored stone.

Where is Monemvasia? Thats a new one to me.

We totally enjoyed the view of Le-Chateau Frontenac in the Old walled city of Quebec at night .

She seamed to tower over the St. Lawrence river during our overnight stay on the B2B from Boston .

I have taken boat cruises on the St. Lawerence in the evening. I couldn't agree with you more. Just lovely.

East coast of Greece. :)

We totally enjoyed the view of Le-Chateau Frontenac in the Old walled city of Quebec at night .

She seamed to tower over the St. Lawrence river during our overnight stay on the B2B from Boston .

You are so right..... to dock, port side to the port, and look up the hills and see Chateau Frontenac is so beautiful. As many times as we visited and enjoyed the view, I have never gotten enough of it. :) Old Quebec City is so charming especially in the summer when it is so floral.

Monemvasia sits near the southeastern tip of the Peloponnese peninsula (part of Greece). It is absolutely lovely and not completely overrun with tourists.

View from the ship at anchor:

DSC00292.JPG

OP here.... Thanks for all the responses. Someone asked what my favorite is, but honestly, I posted this to learn from the experts. :) Have only been on one cruise (Canada/New England) so my experience is limited but in great need of increase. Have talked hubby into taking us on our 2nd cruise this fall so I'm getting there! :D.

OP here.... Thanks for all the responses. Someone asked what my favorite is, but honestly, I posted this to learn from the experts. :) Have only been on one cruise (Canada/New England) so my experience is limited but in great need of increase. Have talked hubby into taking us on our 2nd cruise this fall so I'm getting there! :D.

Happy you have another planned.

Hope you find beautiful scenery.

Where is your cruise going?

While a few people said Sydney, and it is beautiful to sail into, it will depend what side of the ship you are on and what dock.

If you are on the Port side of most ships at the OPT your balcony view will be the Opera house and harbour. Starboard side will either be the terminal or if you are on a high enough deck the rocks area, a historical precinct of Sydney.

On the other hand if you are docked at While Elephant, woops White Bay, one side you will see the terminal and a rock cliff face. the other an industrial port.