What reasons for cancelling are valid with insurance

awestover89

My SO was just tentatively offered a new job with the federal government that he's been trying for for years, the problem is, we have no idea what to expect for a time frame. Other people we've talked to have said basically anywhere from 1-4 months from tentative offer to start date. Our final payment date is coming up 5/16, and I don't want to cancel if his start date would be after the cruise, but I also don't want to make the final payment and then lose out on a couple thousand dollars.

If we were to get insurance, would changing jobs be a valid claim? Or is it only for things like accidents, injuries, illness?

My SO was just tentatively offered a new job with the federal government that he's been trying for for years, the problem is, we have no idea what to expect for a time frame. Other people we've talked to have said basically anywhere from 1-4 months from tentative offer to start date. Our final payment date is coming up 5/16, and I don't want to cancel if his start date would be after the cruise, but I also don't want to make the final payment and then lose out on a couple thousand dollars.

If we were to get insurance, would changing jobs be a valid claim? Or is it only for things like accidents, injuries, illness?

It depends on the insurance policy. I recommend you phone the folks at the number given at insuremytrip.com and ask them if there is a policy that would cover that. They are insurance brokers so work with lots of travel insurance policies.

Depends on the policy. That is something you have to research.

If you were sailing Carnival and purchased their insurance policy, then yes, job related issues are a covered reason to receive a 75% future cruise credit.

HOWEVER,,,

You are trying to buy coverage for an event that you know may likely happen... You could be found out and coverage not provided at best. At worse,,, insurance fraud??? Highly doubtful

Most standard stand alone policies do not cover job related issues. This would be a special rider that you would have to search for and add.

Depends on the policy. That is something you have to research.

If you were sailing Carnival and purchased their insurance policy, then yes, job related issues are a covered reason to receive a 75% future cruise credit.

HOWEVER,,,

You are trying to buy coverage for an event that you know may likely happen... You could be found out and coverage not provided at best. At worse,,, insurance fraud??? Highly doubtful

Most standard stand alone policies do not cover job related issues. This would be a special rider that you would have to search for and add.

That seems to be the issue, called the company in the first reply, this situation would require a cancel for any reason addendum to most policies which typically can only be purchased shortly after initial deposit for the cruise.

We will try to get a better feel for the time frame involved, and cancel before final payment date if it doesn't seem likely that the start date will be after the cruise. Maybe we'll see about a last minute cruise once we know for certain when he'll be changing jobs.

Thanks all for the help

Edited by awestover89

Wouldn't his new job honour any holiday already booked? BTW what does SO mean, not familiar with this one.

Wouldn't his new job honour any holiday already booked? BTW what does SO mean, not familiar with this one.

That was my thought, even leave without pay perhaps.

SO = Significant Other, life partner, deFacto partner

Wouldn't his new job honour any holiday already booked?

That was my thought, even leave without pay perhaps.

Things are a lot different here in the colonies than the commonwealth.

Other than possibly for a very senior executive even "hypothetically" broaching this topic during the hiring process would bring it to a screeching halt.

Things are a lot different here in the colonies than the commonwealth.

Other than possibly for a very senior executive even "hypothetically" broaching this topic during the hiring process would bring it to a screeching halt.

Really? Forty years as a fed, hired multiple people, never had an issue with honoring their prior plans. If you have no leave accumulated, you can "borrow" against future leave.

Really? Forty years as a fed, hired multiple people, never had an issue with honoring their prior plans. If you have no leave accumulated, you can "borrow" against future leave.

Or as I said earlier even perhaps leave without pay.

Other than if you have no reason cancellation insurance (which normally has to taken out very shortly after booking) a change of jobs in unlikely to be sufficient reason, but ask.

Just like what cruise like you sail on, the policies depend on the agency. I have worked for IRS for 33 years. In that time I have served in the Union <NTEU> and currently am a manager. The IRS /NTEU contract does not allow for the advance of Annual Leave for the the probationary period (one year). If you have training scheduled for the period of the vacation, leave will be denied (even Leave without pay). There is a possibility of a Leave Without Pay approval if there is not training involved BUT there is no guarantee of that approval.

Edited by Bevv

no company is required to do so, even if you let them know up front. in fact it is pretty well frowned upon to accept a job, show up and immediately say, Oh yeah, BTW, I need a week off next month to go on a cruise/attend a wedding/ hit the lake.

Read your policy as each one is different but if you take out a policy for this reason then they can and often will investigate as to when the interview was before paying out and identify that you knew of this before buying it

What's more important, the job or the cruise. Reschedule the cruise once you know for certain

Every insurance policy is different, you have to read them, but you canno insure against an event that you know is likely to happen, so it will be almost impossible to get insurance for a job change in this circumstance.

Some policies will cover you for any reason, depending when you cancel your trip.

Usually those need to be purchase within a week or 10 days of booking the trip. They also seldom cover everything, often there is a 25% deductible.

No. You can't insure for this now, it's a known event. It'd be like calling to get fire insurance when your house is on fire.

They do offer "cancel for work reasons" but you are too late to purchase this. See what happens and cancel the cruise if you have to. A job's more important and you can always reschedule.

We wound up finding out his start date would be late June or early July and it hasn't hit final payment yet, so just cancelled and booked an earlier cruise instead. Thanks all.

Thanks for the update! Enjoy your cruise, and good luck with his job! Hope it turns out to have been worth waiting for...