Just about to book a Celebrity cruise...questions!

Velvetwater

Hi we have narrowed a crazy search down to 2 possible cruises and both are Med cruises on either Equinox or Constellation.

Just have a few questions...

1)Is the free food varied? We like different world cuisines as opposed to burgers etc.

2)We like flexible dining so we can eat alone and with others some nights. Does Celebrity allow you to share tables in flexible dining if you wish?

3) We have to pay upfront gratuities for flexible dining so are a bit worried if anything happens we are not happy with we have no choice. If you are unhappy with the service can you adjust the amount even if you prepaid? (I know this is sensitive issue but we had a sentimental clothing item go missing from our cabin last cruise and I was very unhappy with our steward)

4)Are fellow passengers friendly? We have found CCL cruisers to be friendly and up for drinks and chilling out. We are late twenties so would love to find people our age (or thereabouts) to have fun with.

5) What are activities/entertainment like on board? We like Trivia and food/wine demos and classes. We like comedy and spectacle shows in the evening (not just singers etc)

6)Do the ships stay lively into midnight and beyond? We don't like it when a ship slows down when it hits 10.

7) Is there any special things Celebrity do? Things such as welcome aboard canapes/beverages or Captain meets on formal nights? We like a sense of occasion.

8)We are likely booking a Guarantee ocean view cabin if on the Equinox...is this a good idea?

EDIT:I just read this and I know it sounds like we are party people but its really more a matter of a great buzz on the ship with people wanting a good time. We like a drink but not to excess and we like to meet new people on a cruise too.

Thanks for any replies :)

Edited by Velvetwater

1)Is the free food varied? We like different world cuisines as opposed to burgers etc.

More variety on Equinox than Constellation -- especially at lunch buffet where there will be an Asian station, stir fry, some Thai

2)We like flexible dining so we can eat alone and with others some nights. Does Celebrity allow you to share tables in flexible dining if you wish?

Yes

3) We have to pay upfront gratuities for flexible dining so are a bit worried if anything happens we are not happy with we have no choice. If you are unhappy with the service can you adjust the amount even if you prepaid? (I know this is sensitive issue but we had a sentimental clothing item go missing from our cabin last cruise and I was very unhappy with our steward)

No you cannot adjust the gratuity on Select Dining

4)Are fellow passengers friendly? We have found CCL cruisers to be friendly and up for drinks and chilling out. We are late twenties so would love to find people our age (or thereabouts) to have fun with.

Yes but you won't find lots of people your age, few your age choose European cruise vacations as they are pricey

5) What are activities/entertainment like on board? We like Trivia and food/wine demos and classes. We like comedy and spectacle shows in the evening (not just singers etc)

You'll find all of those

6)Do the ships stay lively into midnight and beyond? We don't like it when a ship slows down when it hits 10.

It really depends on the crowd. On port intensive cruises people generally go to bed earlier. On Mediterranean cruises, some people nap and stay up later, especially if there are many Spanish and Italians aboard who like to eat dinner later

7) Is there any special things Celebrity do? Things such as welcome aboard canapes/beverages or Captain meets on formal nights? We like a sense of occasion.

Yes to both

8)We are likely booking a Guarantee ocean view cabin if on the Equinox...is this a good idea?

Sure why not?

EDIT:I just read this and I know it sounds like we are party people but its really more a matter of a great buzz on the ship with people wanting a good time. We like a drink but not to excess and we like to meet new people on a cruise too.

Hi we have narrowed a crazy search down to 2 possible cruises and both are Med cruises on either Equinox or Constellation.

1) Yes, varied food. they will have various food stations in the buffet serving various dishes.

2)Yes, in Select dining you can either have a table for 2(may be a wait depending on time of night.) or you can share with others. They just fill up the tables with guests as they arrive. Will only take a few minutes to fill a table for 6 or so, so no long waiting.

3) Don't know about reducing them after pre-paying. Have you ever thought about reporting the 'Issue' you're having to either a supervisor or the reception desk to see if they can remedy the situation.

4) Other cruisers are friendly, but I don't think many will be your age range. Will be mainly 40+.

5) They will have trivia and other games during the day, also lectures and port talks. Evening is shows in theatre and may be the odd comedian. Other bars will have a singer/band etc. Will also have evening trivia as well.

6)Last time we were on it was pretty much dead by midnight. If you're sailing from Southampton and have majority brits onboard then it might be livelier later on.

7) Think you still get a glass of champagne on boarding, and also on formal nights.

8)It is if you don't mind where on the ship you end up. It's a good way too save money and possibly get a better cabin. If you sometimes suffer from seasickness then you're better of booking a specific cabin in the middle of the ship on a lower deck.

On your edit piece, don't worry, we're exactly like yourselves but in our early 40's.

Thanks for the replies.. :)

Bad news about the flexible dining/grats thing. Do you think it would be possible to book early dining then change it to flexible (and paying the amount over the phone/online) when I have thought about it some more?

I reported the missing issue twice on our CCL last year and guest services just checked laundry/asked me to fill out a lost/stolen report...they seemed to just be following procedure. It was odd though because they gave us $100 of free drinks for a slightly damp carpet (air con issue) but nothing for this issue that had me in tears. It has made me a bit wary of cruise staff in general whether it was accidental or not.

We seem to have good sea legs so are not worried about the seasickness I was more worried about cabins near galleys, aft noise,lido decks, noisy cupboards. :)

I forgot to mention both cruises are in the European school holidays...

Edited by Velvetwater

Remember if you book a GTY cabin in the UK you will have to accept whatever is issued - no changing like in the US. Take it it's not sailing from the UK as it's on Equinox - possibly the 1st or 24th August cruises? We have found long port days in the Med usually results in less night-time action. Depends if there are still places on Select Dining - you'd need to ask X what's still available ;).

You may or may not be able to switch to Select Dining from one of the Traditional seatings once you are on board. It depends how popular Select is on your cruise --- a certain amount of slots are allocated to each type, and if they're full, you can't switch. You can always try going to see the maitre d' once you're onboard, but you can't count on this request being granted. Select is pretty popular, especially in Europe where cruisers often have long and tiring port days and don't want to commit to eating at the same time every day.

You'll be offered a glass of champagne when you board the ship, and also when you enter the theater for the Captain's toast at the show on the 1st formal night. Celebrity used to pass canapés but I haven't seen that in a few years. They do offer cool towels and a cold drink before you reboard the ship after a port call, which is a nice touch.

Celebrity is quieter overall than CCL, no denying that, but it does get a good mix of friendly and interesting passengers. Not a lot of late night life much of the time, but of course that varies from cruise to cruise. The only way to know for sure how it suits you is to give it a try.

Thanks for the replies.. :)

Bad news about the flexible dining/grats thing. Do you think it would be possible to book early dining then change it to flexible (and paying the amount over the phone/online) when I have thought about it some more?

I reported the missing issue twice on our CCL last year and guest services just checked laundry/asked me to fill out a lost/stolen report...they seemed to just be following procedure. It was odd though because they gave us $100 of free drinks for a slightly damp carpet (air con issue) but nothing for this issue that had me in tears. It has made me a bit wary of cruise staff in general whether it was accidental or not.

We seem to have good sea legs so are not worried about the seasickness I was more worried about cabins near galleys, lido decks, noisy cupboards. :)

I forgot to mention both cruises are in the European school holidays...

Unfortunately, with respect to the missing item on a ship with 2000+ guests and staff it's probably going to be impossible to successfully accuse someone of taking it, unless they were found in the act or in possession. It could of been a supervisor, maintenance or even security who took it. I work in Security in a building with over 1000 staff, if there isn't CCTV in the area of the theft then we don't even bother investigating as it's a completely pointless exercise.

Being school holidays, you'll have more younger generation but they'll be families. So you'll have loads of kids onboard too. If it's the summer holidays then Europe as I'm sure you know will be absolutely scorching. Which is nice for sunbathing on a beach or round the pool, but not siteseeing with 1000's of others.

I never knew you could switch up guarantee cabins regardless of you location as with CCL its thats your cabin and your done. All I need is a view of the ocean and peace and quiet and I'm good.

We are not sure if we have experienced the CCL complete party atmosphere as we have done their more unusual and longer cruises with them but we enjoyed the age ranges on the ship and the general fun and friendly atmosphere.

Both cruises have flexi available and the 7 day Constellation only has that available which means I have to book flexible anyway.

I am going to go and research all the ocean view cabins and see if I would have problems with any of them. The August 1st sailing is showing that I save £400 ($600) pp by booking an OV guarantee. I have to say a youtube video of the Equinox really has me taken with her but then again my husband is tired of me seeing a ship and going 'look at her, isn't she beautiful?' :D

Edited by Velvetwater

gratuities are not a fee and can be adjusted up or down or not paid at all. Pre paid gratuities can be adjusted at the service desk on the cruise.

Edited by cd-tk

My understanding is that pre-paid gratuities can be adjusted only if you do not have Select Dining. Some people prefer to pre-pay their gratuities even though not required because they are in traditional, fixed seating. Those gratuities can be adjusted but those who have Select Dining can not adjust theirs.

Do you have any personal experience to the contrary on Celebrity? That is, were you in Select Dining and were you able to adjust your gratuities?

Edited by cruisestitch

Do you have any personal experience to the contrary on Celebrity? That is, were you in Select Dining and were you able to adjust your gratuities?

Carnival lets you book flexible dining and not pay grats upfront and then you can adjust them up or down from when they appear on your account.

When I was distressed about the lost item issue our cruise friends said I could adjust them to different services. So I reduced the steward amount and gave the waiters more as they were wonderful.

I have confidence the waiters will be great on any cruise but I do find odd I have to pay a service charge before I received a service and that if that service isn't up to scratch theres nothing I can do. I get that flexi dining ensures all waiters get their grats but the upfront charge is all service staff grats and not just waiters.

hmmmm

While the rules are that you can't adjust them in general I would like to think that if you had an incident like this which was calmly worked through guest relations/chief housekeeper/hotel director and you still weren't satisfied that they would make an exception and allow a change to that particular service area.

Again would like to think people would be reasonable.

Velvetwater, we are on the Equinox on the 1st of August. We were also on her in 2012 and loved her, so I'm sure you won't be disappointed. The last time we cruised on her was similar time of year and lots of 18-25 age group so I'm sure you will have a good time on her. Of course age doesn't really count for much as were early 40s and can keep up with the rest and the best. It helps that our 21 year olds and 17 year olds keep us young.

Enjoy your cruise whichever you decide on.

We just came off our first Celebrity cruise. Most of previous cruises have been on Princess and HAL. Whenever we said that we would be happy to share a table on Princess and HAL, we were seated at a group table. When we told the matre'd on Celebrity the same thing, we were seated at a table for 2 every night but 1. I guess that on Celebrity, you have to make it clear that you WANT to share a table. The table we were sent to had only 2 other people and they were half way through their meal.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We are on the August 1 Equinox cruise too. We were on Equinox just a year ago and loved the ship esp my husband who suddenly understood why people love to cruise.

We loved the buffet. Wonderful Indian, Thai and Sushi. Stir fry. Last cruise had no sea days so with the long hot port days we were too tired to bother but this cruise has three so we will look for the shows. But others packed out the house.

Select dining works really well for Med Cruises. If you are friendly with the crew you will get excellent service. There are shared and tables for 2 and we had a great table one formal night with a couple we randomly met on a Venice vaporetto before the cruise and kept bumping into them not just on the ship but in the busy ports! Just 63 days to go.

They had great deals on Aqua Gty but see now all Aquas are sold out.

Edited by Pushka

1)The food is quite varied in the MDR & the buffet. you'll find asian & Indian specialties in the buffet. Plenty of healthy choices.

2)I'm not totally sure, but I think you can dine alone or with others if you wish.

3)You can remove the prepaid at the end of your cruise, but personally, I think that's down right rude.

4)Yes. Most are friendly on any line. You will,however find those "beyotchers" who complain just to complain.They're on all the lines. Celebrity is more laid back than say Carnival/RCCL/NCL. A little more dressy..no shorts in the dining room at dinner. A sport coat/nice shirt/Khaki pants etc. will suffice for formal nights.

5)You'll find pretty much what you just mentioned on board. The Solstice class ships have better entertainment(in my opinion)than the smaller Celebrity ships.

6)It quiets down usually after midnight,but not dead.

7)Pretty much yes to that. The staff usually lines up & greets you upon boarding.

8)Should be fine.

Edit.. If you're looking for a party ship, I doubt Celebrity will fit your bill. Being in your late 20's you will find yourselves among the younger ones on board. As to drinks, the Martini Bar/Molecular Bar do up some really cool drinks. the Martini Bar gets a bit wacky when the staff do these "pouring" competitions. Sign up for the CC meeting in the roll call section for the cruise date you choose.

Select dining has lots of 2-tops that are close to one another, so you have the option of chatting with your neighbors or maintaining the invisible wall. If you find a wait team that you like, you can ask the Maitre d' to seat you in that section when you arrive the next night -- on our recent Eclipse cruise they even expanded our favorite waiter's station by a table to accommodate us. We have taken 11 cruises now, and Eclipse (a sister to Equinox) is our favorite ship overall.

Velvetwater wrote:

"Carnival lets you book flexible dining and not pay grats upfront and then you can adjust them up or down from when they appear on your account."

Celebrity does not work this way. If you book Select Dining you must pay the gratuities at the time of Final Payment and they cannot be adjusted. I believe that keithm's comment that you can remove gratuities only applies if you have the traditional fixed dining times, not if you have Select Dining.

Select dining has lots of 2-tops that are close to one another, so you have the option of chatting with your neighbors or maintaining the invisible wall. ll.

Not sure that I agree with this. Perhaps your neighbors took a 2-top specifically because they did not want to engage in conversation with others but they are also too polite or shy to tell you to buzz off. The way that I would handle it is if they initiate a conversation, I will respond. If they do not initiate, I leave them alone.

DON

We were surprised how the ship felt dead after 10, suits us but maybe not others, saying that we didn't venture into the nightclub or the bar on the upper floor.

We did talk to a few people on the cruise who said that compared to other cruise lines the ship felt dead. This was on the Eclipse in May.

You didn't go to the lively places, but you are surprised that the ship felt quiet?

Maybe if you had gone to the other places you would have found more activity.

I was surprised the bar areas on the lower floors were quiet, we didn't go into the other bars as we liked the ones we were in. As I said it suited us.

I did mention that other people said they found the ship quiet, they did go into the other bars.

This forum seems to be changing to a place where people over analyse every comment that people make. Forgive me for what I thought was a clear post. It was our first cruise, I was unable to compare how lively the bars were against other cruise ships.