Compensated by RCCL?

Any compensation we've received was while we were still on the cruise in the form of shipboard credit. The last time was on the Quantum of the Seas TA.

If you have a complaint it's best if you let them know while you're still on the ship and maybe something can be done before you get off.

What is your valid complaint?

Agree with KS Sunflower, make the issue know immediately and your likely to get satisfaction....Years ago, we had a problem with an excursion, brought our concerns to the excursion desk person and supervisor. They agreed we had a beef and refunded half of all four adult fees, which we felt was just....Even farther back [and now I'm dating myself :rolleyes:] the sommelier

suggested a replacement for bin we ordered, last bottle, which was we found out, twice the price of the original.:eek: The next night we complained and he reduced the charge to the original bin's price....So he continued to sell us wine that cruise rather than losing the customer who order 2 bottles the first night of the cruise.

my camera was damaged. the screen was cracked during embarkation (the one piece of luggage that the pier hand wrote the info, didn't show up), filled out accident report with concierge and complained at front desk (no credits, no discounts, no nothing) and it will cost me about $100+ to repair the fuji screen.

i've sent a valid complaint to rccl, and we'll see what happens.

heather

my camera was damaged. the screen was cracked during embarkation (the one piece of luggage that the pier hand wrote the info, didn't show up), filled out accident report with concierge and complained at front desk (no credits, no discounts, no nothing) and it will cost me about $100+ to repair the fuji screen.

heather

Was it in checked luggage?...A good lesson as to why to keep these with you in your carryon. Best of luck hope all works out well for you.

heather

There is a reason that valuables and breakable items should always be packed in carry on. Porters whether at a port on in an airport are never the gentlest with luggage.

Best of luck with your complaint however I don't see anything happening.

heather

Your camera was in your checked luggage? Always carry on your valuables whether on a cruise or an airplane. Are you also saying you lost a bag?

Yes. I received credit on a premium drink pkg, for two people, for 3 days. It occurred when the ship could not sail for 3 of the 7 days and because it was in Texas waters, premium alcohol could not be served. So, I forwarded my complaint to guest relations and they took care of the credit.

heather

Seriously, you packed an expensive camera in checked luggage? You're lucky it was there at all. Never pack valuables - always carry them with you. Anyway not close to being a valid complaint but your homeowners insurance might cover it.

There is a reason that valuables and breakable items should always be packed in carry on. Porters whether at a port on in an airport are never the gentlest with luggage.

Best of luck with your complaint however I don't see anything happening.

I hope this link to an old commercial comes through.

Seriously, you packed an expensive camera in checked luggage? You're lucky it was there at all. Never pack valuables - always carry them with you. Anyway not close to being a valid complaint but your homeowners insurance might cover it.

Harsh! And I agree with you 1,000,000% percent. ;)

The poor OP has come here for advice on compensation and you're all focusing on the fact that camera was packed in their luggage. So they pack their camera in their bag ... It's their choice ... How about commenting on the question that was actually asked.

One that note ... If Royal aren't playing ball, then try your travel insurance or your contents insurance.

Edited by CoopColbie

heather

If the camera was in checked baggage and got damaged you are out of luck.

From the cruise contract

In no event shall Carrier be liable for normal wear or tear of luggage or property, or loss of or damage to jewelry, cash,

negotiable paper, photographic/electronic, medical or recreational equipment, dental hardware, eyewear, medications or other valuables unless they are

deposited with Carrier on the Vessel for safekeeping against receipt (LTOs do not accept valuables for deposit). Carrier's liability, if any, for loss of or

damage to valuables so deposited shall not exceed the amounts indicated in Section 3.c above.

If they permanently lost luggage then their liability is capped at $300 and you need to follow the lost luggage claim process.

If the camera was not in checked baggage and was instead in your possession then how exactly would the cruise line be liable for damage to it.

Edited by RDC1

Maybe the travel insurance would be a good place to start as no deductible;)

Based upon what he has said so far difficult to see how he would get or for that matter even expect compensation for the damaged camera.

Cameras are among the items listed as not being covered for liability in the cruise contract. Even it was in possession and not in luggage then why would he expect compensation.

heather

We did once- and like you, brought it up while on the cruise.

If anything, you have that going for you- if you have copies of the report- scan them and honestly send a note to the president. Seems like a "weak" thing to do- but it sure seems as if it's valid- they will take care of it.

We had a different issue where we didn't get something that we bought, and sent a note to the president- they took care of it. Pretty nice.

Certainly worth a try.

The poor OP has come here for advice on compensation and you're all focusing on the fact that camera was packed in their luggage. So they pack their camera in their bag ... It's their choice ... How about commenting on the question that was actually asked.

One that note ... If Royal aren't playing ball, then try your travel insurance or your contents insurance.

And it's now their choice to accept the fact that it was damaged. Had they had it in their carry on and packed properly, it most probably would not have been damaged.

Why is it that people just don't like to take responsibility for their own actions.:(

heather

To answer your question, yes, I have received compensation for something that went wrong on a cruise. I didn't ask for nor expect it, but it was a nice gesture to help make up for a persistent toilet problem.:eek:

That said, I don't think you will be compensated for your screen, nor should you be. Chalk it up to experience, and be thankful your only damage was to a camera screen. I say a prayer of thanks every time my luggage reaches my cabin or the conveyor belt in an airport still resembling what I checked!:p

It's a foolish choice. Even if the porters take quite a lot of care, checked luggage is stacked in bins/cages which can result in a lot of weight being put on it. For this reason airlines/cruise ships/hotels advise against packing anything breakable. What happened in the OP's caseis the very foreseeable outcome and they really can't complain.

Edited by BekkaW