Flu Vaccine

Typhoon1

I always get it at my doctor's office but I usually wait until mid to late September.

HAL crews are offered flu vaccine if they want it. I imagine they are encouraged to get it.

Edited by sail7seas

Our family doctor recommended getting the flu vaccine in late October or early November so it would be at its most effective during flu season. We will, however, get it earlier if we're going to be traveling in November.

I have a tradition of getting my flu shot at Walgreen's every Halloween weekend. Easy to remember. This year I'm due for my 5 yr. update on my pneumonia shot.

Roz

KK, interesting that your insurance doesn't cover the clinics in Walgreen's, CVS, Kroger, etc. My plan (a large state employees plan) encourages it, as the store clinics are less expensive than a doctor visit. Of course, for people who have a greater risk of complications or reactions from injections, a doctor's office is probably where they need to be.

Probably your insurer doesn't have an agreement with those companies to provide services.

Roz

Edited by Roz

I usually get mine in October. We have so many of options of where to get it, I often don't bother to go to the doctor's office, dropping in to the local drug store is much quicker. Here, it is free for anyone over 60 wherever you choose to get it.

Places like Walgreens, etc. charge for our Flu shots.

There is no charge if you are on Medicare. We have gotten our flu vaccine for years at either Walgreens or Publix and there has never been a charge for Medicare patients and they have always accepted our Medicare card.:)

Edited by peaches from georgia

Our family doctor recommended getting the flu vaccine in late October or early November so it would be at its most effective during flu season.

That's the advice I was given, too. If given too early, it is no longer effective before the season runs out.

Many (most?) insurance will not pay for a second shot in the same season.

KK, interesting that your insurance doesn't cover the clinics in Walgreen's, CVS, Kroger, etc. My plan (a large state employees plan) encourages it, as the store clinics are less expensive than a doctor visit. Of course, for people who have a greater risk of complications or reactions from injections, a doctor's office is probably where they need to be.

Probably your insurer doesn't have an agreement with those companies to provide services.

Roz

There has been a major problem with insurance companies in our state (PA) the last couple of years. UPMC and Highmark (Security Blue for us) have been at war and many stores won't accept all insurances.

We have to switch to UPMC in November since all of our doctors and hospitals are UPMC and we are getting tired of paying the extra fees that UPMC now charges we Highmark customers for their services.

While we're on the subject of vaccines, get a shingles shot if you haven't had one already. You don't want to come down with a case of shingles while cruising or doing traveling of any kind. My insurance covered it once I hit 60 :eek:, but I've known several people to get it in their 40s and 50s, and I debated about paying the $250 outright for the shot.

One of my co-workers was afraid to get it because she thought she might suffer a reaction from the shot. Now she has shingles on her neck that's spread to her eye, and doc says she will probably lose all or part of her vision in that eye. Nasty stuff.

Roz

That's the advice I was given, too. If given too early, it is no longer effective before the season runs out.

Many (most?) insurance will not pay for a second shot in the same season.

That's the reason why our doctor told us not to get the shot too early. It only lasts so long. Must be that honest New England advice. :)

The one thing I should have mentioned is that the best time to get the vaccination will vary by a few weeks depending on where you live. Some regions get flu outbreaks a few weeks before it goes national.

Our family doctor recommended getting the flu vaccine in late October or early November so it would be at its most effective during flu season. We will, however, get it earlier if we're going to be traveling in November.

Unless traveling, my doctor usually recommends waiting until at least October keeping in mind it takes two weeks after injection for full efficacy of the vaccine. That is important to keep in mind.

January/February is often highest flu season in my area.

Roz

No matter where I get the vaccine, it is covered and I pay nothing.

My doctor also encourages at certain age, all have singles shot as well as the pneumonia, including the new Prevar unless for some reason it is contraindicated for an individual.

Edited by sail7seas

The CDC has some interesting information on flu shots, including when to get one. They recommend having the shot soon after it becomes available, ideally by October. For the majority of people, a shot will last for the entire flu season, so there is little to be gained by waiting.

That being said, and bearing in mind the HAL passenger age demographic, the following may be of interest:

There is some evidence, however, that immunity may decline more quickly in older people. For older adults, another flu vaccine option is available called the “high-dose” vaccine, which is designed specifically for people 65 and older. This vaccine contains a higher dose of antigen (the part of the vaccine that prompts the body to make antibody), which is intended to create a stronger immune response in this age group. For more information, see http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_fluzone.htm.

Healthy cruising!

The CDC has some interesting information on flu shots, including when to get one. They recommend having the shot soon after it becomes available, ideally by October. For the majority of people, a shot will last for the entire flu season, so there is little to be gained by waiting.

That being said, and bearing in mind the HAL passenger age demographic, the following may be of interest:

Quote:

There is some evidence, however, that immunity may decline more quickly in older people. For older adults, another flu vaccine option is available called the “high-dose” vaccine, which is designed specifically for people 65 and older. This vaccine contains a higher dose of antigen (the part of the vaccine that prompts the body to make antibody), which is intended to create a stronger immune response in this age group. For more information, see http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_fluzone.htm.

Healthy cruising!

Thanks for posting about the high dose vaccine.

That is what I had last year and assume my doctor will administer again to senior patients.

Edited by sail7seas

Then there are mavericks like me who never get flu shots. Horrors! Truth is that I appear to be one of those folks who just don't get the flu.....like in never and certainly not over the past 40 years when I last had whatever I had that the doctor thought might be flu. Present doctor says I'm not in a risk group, despite my advancing age, so given my medical history he doesn't see the need. A little of Russian roulette but that's me.....just living on the edge. :rolleyes::)