Plus size cruisers

Hello,

Even though I cruise a lot, I've never asked for a different chair in the MDR, now it's good to know I can. I have always been nervous about the seating arrangements. My bigger problem is getting on the vans/bus used for excursions. Many tour operators have a fold up stool to make it easy to hop in. I have seriously considered taking my own, but the extra weight to carry it on, I will take my chances.

There are people of many sizes, please feel free to pop on your swimsuit and take a swim, sit in the hot tub. You will never see theses people again, do have fun.

Myra

• 7 years later...

Hello, 

I am cruising on August 19 and weigh 330 pounds. I see that the water slides have a ridiculous weight limit of 300 for one rider, but 450 for two? How does that even make sense? I want to have a good time and be able to experience everything on my cruise. 

Do they actually weigh you before you get on the slides? 

Please let me know, because this is disheartening at the current moment. 

3 minutes ago, seasagatravel said:

Hello, 

I am cruising on August 19 and weigh 330 pounds. I see that the water slides have a ridiculous weight limit of 300 for one rider, but 450 for two? How does that even make sense? I want to have a good time and be able to experience everything on my cruise. 

They will make you go on a scale before you are let on!

42 minutes ago, seasagatravel said:

Hello, 

Not everyone gets to experience everything. It is obviously not just weight that is an issue, but distribution and shape. Likewise someone 4’ tall probably cannot experience the climbing wall or high ropes etc. There needs to be limits to cover peoples lack of common sense and law suits

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, seasagatravel said:

Hello, 

Yes they will weigh you if it is close, they do it very quietly.  Some slides on cococay are 250 so 300 is much better. 

As others have stated it is all for safety, going too quick or too slow on these slides be hazardous.  The rules are in place for a reason.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Not everyone gets to experience everything. It is obviously not just weight that is an issue, but distribution and shape. Likewise someone 4’ tall probably cannot experience the climbing wall or high ropes etc. There needs to be limits to cover peoples lack of common sense and law suits

I should be able to experience everything. The maximum weight of 2 riders is 450. There is no reason why Royal, who makes billions, cannot create experiences for all guests to enjoy. I have never had to get on a scale with other cruise lines. 300 pound is not as much as 450, we can all agree on that .

24 minutes ago, seasagatravel said:

I should be able to experience everything. The maximum weight of 2 riders is 450. There is no reason why Royal, who makes billions, cannot create experiences for all guests to enjoy. I have never had to get on a scale with other cruise lines. 300 pound is not as much as 450, we can all agree on that .

I think you should email the special needs department to clarify if one person is safely allowed to ride alone on the two person water slide.  I am no expert on water slides, but on small helicopters they need to balance the weight of each side for safety so everyone is weighted and seated for balance.  I don't know if the two person waterslides need. a second person of a certain weight for balance.  

Edited by kitkat343

26 minutes ago, seasagatravel said:

So if you get hurt because they went against policy….will you sue Royal if you got hurt…. absolutely because they broke policy. There’s policy and rules for a reason.  You can have just as much fun doing things that fits within your weight limits

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, seasagatravel said:

So what you are saying is that because they have a lot of money they should be able to create experiences everyone can enjoy—they already do—just not everyone can enjoy every experience. Not physically possible for everyone to participate in every experience or they would have to limit every ship to maybe one experience. They already do have many experiences that everyone can enjoy. Because of individual limitations, not everyone can do everything. I’m sure there are height and age limits on the slides as well. 

2 hours ago, seasagatravel said:

Hello, 

So, if someone weighed 400 pounds, they would not be allowed.  But if they carried a 30 or 40 pound infant, that would be OK? maybe I'm not understand the issue here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seasagatravel said:

I should be able to experience everything. The maximum weight of 2 riders is 450. There is no reason why Royal, who makes billions, cannot create experiences for all guests to enjoy. I have never had to get on a scale with other cruise lines. 300 pound is not as much as 450, we can all agree on that 

What other cruise lines have you been on that didn’t have a weight limit on slides?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keasel said:

So, if someone weighed 400 pounds, they would not be allowed.  But if they carried a 30 or 40 pound infant, that would be OK? maybe I'm not understand the issue here.

Nope. Infants are not allowed. How would you even think they would be? I hope you had your tongue in your cheek on that one.

5 hours ago, seasagatravel said:

Hello, 

It's true, you cannot do the slides. Two people who weigh 450 pounds total do not occupy the same width as one person weighing 330. The tube has size limitations.  You would also not be able to do the I Fly. I'm too old to go on some of the biking and snorkeling excursions due to the insurance underwriters risk tolerance. Oh well, I find something else that's fun to do. You will be able to have other fun adventures. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, seasagatravel said:

Unfortunately, it is not the total weight. It ends up being the size of the rider and the ability of that rider to safely make it through the slide. For example, I am a plus sized person and when I go on a slide like the Abyss, I can't tuck my arms up around my belly like a smaller person,,, and no matter what I do, I will end up rubbing my arm or elbow on the slide causing an abrasion. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, seasagatravel said:

I cruise with my disabled daughter who can’t do any of the things that RCL offers, she can’t even tender ashore. So by your logic RCL should make everything accessible for her, the water slides, the flowrider, special tenders, cause it’s all about me, me me. 
We find enjoyment in being on the ocean and spending time together, there is always something to us to do. 😊

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Keasel said:

In the first place, an infant would not weigh 30 to 40 lbs.  A kindergartener would on average.  2nd, there is an age and height factor as well.  3rd, who would  if permitted, carry an infant up steps all day?  Build a sand castle for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some of the attractions have weight limits for safety reasons.  For example, if someone exceeds the weight limit of the zipline, the line could break, cause injuries (or worse!), and a whole bunch of lawsuits.  That's why for these attractions they do weigh you.

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Some of the attractions have weight limits for safety reasons.  For example, if someone exceeds the weight limit of the zipline, the line could break, cause injuries (or worse!), and a whole bunch of lawsuits.  That's why for these attractions they do weigh you.

When North Star came out was lot complaints why have to be weighed, it's limits are also for possible for rescue. If breaks and you are stuck the equipment used to lift and lower you is reason for max weight of one person. To OP almost all Water Parks ans Amusement Parks have Height, age and weight limits, Disney, Universal, Six Flags, ect. Even NCL and Carnival have limits on their's and I'm sure Royal didn't pick a random number out of thin air without reason

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 4

The comments surrounding my distaste regarding Royal's water slide weight restriction are illogical. We are talking about a water slide friends. A multibillion dollar company has the necessary funds to create a safe experience when it comes to their water slides. Aqua Duck has no weight limit and most water slides on land do try to accommodate guests, by creating safe experiences for riders weighing up to 350-400pounds. I understand their needs to be a cap, but 300 will be limiting, not just plus size individuals, but weight lifters and other larger men and woman. Look, if they can allow a double tube to speed down a slide at 450 pounds, there is no question that the single rider weight could increase. Basically, they are saying you cannot ride, but go ahead and grab that 10 year old girl and get in a double tube? I am going to speed down at slide, being unsafe for any male over 300 pounds, with a 70 pound girl siting between my legs? Those that responded with, " It is a safety issue.", "There is a different velocity of square times pie times weight times speed times acceleration etc..." Please think about that response. If I am 400 pounds now, speeding down a slide that is so dangerous for a 328 pound male, then we can kiss that little girl between my legs goodbye. Right? We are going to fly off the ship or tip over because of the fat guy in the back. I cruised with MSC no scale and I am still alive after there killer waterslide. True, I am in the process of a weight loss journey, but a majority of Americans are overweight and some are just to tall or buff etc.. 

Now, please do not lecture me on any other topic but waterslides. I understand my privilege and respect every human on this Earth and beyond. I am literally talking about a waterslide. The waterslide in question CAN be made safe and it CAN be made for larger guests. I am proof. I have been down many waterslides and I am not DEAD . I repeat, I am ALIVE!

Royal can accommodate, they have they have the money available to create inclusive experiences for all, not just in the waterslide department, but for the general safety of guests as well. They are so concerned with weight limits on two slides, but cannot life flight someone over a certain weight? Also, to the individual claiming people would sue, most cruise shops have fine print waiving responsibility for excursions and on board entertainment. Most even make you sign a waiver before getting on a waterslide claiming it is your own responsibility as you understand there are risks involved. Lets all side on capitalism and not the ones who created the industry, the passengers. Do Better! 

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, seasagatravel said:

I did not even find out about the weight limit until we were all paid up.

Just a heads up that Icon's slides weight limits are going to be 265lbs so clearly they are going the other way of what you want them to do. 

• Like 1

I'm a big guy too. Not 300+, but certainly in the range where I have been limited on some activities.  Eg Ziplines. I've been on ziplines where the weight limit was fine and others where I could not participate because there was a 220lb limit.  Could "They" design a zipline to handle a 400lb rider?  Of course they could.  Try visiting amusement parks and find a roller coaster than can handle a 400lb rider.  Could "they" design a roller coaster than can handle a 400lb rider? Of course they could. However, when designers design items, it's very costly to account for all ranges of human sizes, so they end up designing to a specific percentile.  And, it's  not just plus sized people - there are height restrictions too (plus and minus) - imagine a 7'10" rider on a roller coaster with clearance concerns... . So when Royal decided to design the waterslide width to handle a 295 lb rider, but not more than 300, that's a choice they made. If this doesn't meet your needs, than you can vote with your dollar.  

By the way, the combined 400lb limit makes sense to me - due to the width of the slides.  I suspect that a 320 lb person riding with a 60 lb kid would also be denied use because the one user exceeded the other rule (300 lb max). Again - because of the width of the slides. Just a shot in the dark opinion here.  

• Like 6

16 hours ago, seasagatravel said:

Other cruise lines have other limits. I sailed with 7 lines aside RCI multiple times.

What if a guest of 500 lb wants to experience I-Fly and coach will die trying to support this guest? My husband was not allowed as his weight was 254lbs. He understood... (He really wanted to experience that so he worked on it for the next cruise)

There are limits in life. On cruises and beyond cruises.

• Like 4

Just now, Tatka said:

Other cruise lines have other limits. I sailed with 7 lines aside RCI multiple times.

What if a guest of 500 lb wants to experience I-Fly and coach will die trying to support this guest? My husband was not allowed as his weight was 254lbs. He understood... (He really wanted to experience that so he worked on it for the next cruise)

There are limits in life. On cruises and beyond cruises.

Again, we are talking about the waterslides. Things that can be corrected need to be corrected. The waterslide weight that low is unnecessary. I have been on multiple waterslides, more terrifying than that of a cruise ship and it is unnecessary.

9 minutes ago, seasagatravel said:

Again, we are talking about the waterslides. Things that can be corrected need to be corrected. The waterslide weight that low is unnecessary. I have been on multiple waterslides, more terrifying than that of a cruise ship and it is unnecessary.

Again, I can give you a list of things which I think can be corrected for me.

I do not demand it though.

• Like 5

By the way about other lines

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1122/~/policies-for-shipboard-water-sports

Carnival's Twister Waterslide™
Ships: All ships (excluding Carnival Luminosa™)

• Minimum Height: 42 inches | Maximum Weight: 265 pounds (Carnival Sunshine®, Carnival Vista®, Carnival Panorama™)
  • Minimum Height: 42 inches | Maximum Weight: 300 pounds (all other ships) 
Blue Lightning (with mats)
Ship: Carnival Celebration™, Carnival Jubilee™ and Mardi Gras™
  • Minimum Height: 48 inches | Maximum Weight: 300 pounds
Orange Thunder
Ship: Carnival Celebration™, Carnival Jubilee™ and Mardi Gras™
  • Minimum Height: 48 inches | Maximum Weight: 300 pounds

Kaleid-O-Slide™ (with rafts)
Ship: Carnival Panorama™ and Carnival Vista®

• Minimum Height: 48 inches | Maximum Weight: 265 pounds

The Cat's Hat Slide (with rafts)
Ship: Carnival Horizon®

• Minimum Height: 48 inches | Maximum Weight: 265 pounds

Fun Things Slide
Ship: Carnival Horizon®

• Minimum Height: 42 inches | Maximum Weight: 265 pounds

Speedway Splash Racing Slides
Ship: Carnival Sunshine®

• Minimum Height: 42 inches | Maximum Weight: 265 pounds

Drainpipe™
Ships: Carnival Breeze®, Carnival Dream® and Carnival Magic®

• Minimum Height: 42 inches | Maximum Weight: 300 pounds

Aqua Tunnel Water Slide
Ship: Carnival Firenze™, Carnival Freedom®, Carnival Glory®, Carnival Radiance™, Carnival Sunrise™ and Carnival Venezia™

• Minimum Height: 42 inches | Maximum Weight: 300 pounds
  • Minimum Height: 51 inches | Maximum Weight: 300 pounds (Carnival Firenze, Carnival Venezia)

Gondola Glide Slide
Ship: Carnival Firenze™ and Carnival Venezia™

• Minimum Height: 51 inches | Maximum Weight: 300 pounds 

Green Thunder™ Thrill Slide
Ships: Carnival Legend®, Carnival Miracle®, Carnival Pride® and Carnival Spirit®

• Minimum Height: 48 inches | Maximum Weight: 300 pounds

Green Lightning Thrill Slide
Ships: Carnival Splendor®

• Minimum Height: 48 inches | Maximum Weight: 300 pounds

• Like 3