room service tipping

LdyDDS

Hello:

I am new to Princess and have 2 questions about tipping for room service delivery.

1. I will be in a regular room (no suite) and would like to know if I order coffee in the morning via room service, does my regular room steward bring it to me or is the delivery person someone else? My past experience on other cruise lines is that it depends on the line and on the room category.

2. If it is my regular room steward should I give an extra tip for room service?

Thank you in advance for your help

My wife and I always bring an extra $100 or $200 in singles.

We always have singles ready for room service and servers in the buffet getting us drinks or clearing tables for us. Also you never know who you might meet that deserves an extra buck or two for going above and beyond.

To each his own when it comes to tipping but my wife and I feel so blessed every time we cruise that we want to reward others for helping make our cruise such a wonderful experience.

Room service is a separate department from your room steward.

Edited by dandonna

It will be delivered by room service staff. Like the previous poster said, we always bring a stack of singles to give as room service tips. You can also write in a tip on the back of the receipt.

Not totally positive about this, cuz Princess keeps this info close to the vest.

TBS - cash tips are kept by the individual (as long as your grats are not turned off), writing a tip on the ticket goes into the pool...I think:cool:

It will be delivered by room service staff. Like the previous poster said, we always bring a stack of singles to give as room service tips. You can also write in a tip on the back of the receipt.

We also bring $1 bills for things like room service instead of adding a tip amount to a bill which I've been told goes into the tip pool and not directly to the person I am tipping.

Your daily gratuity covers room service deliveries. But of course if you would like to add a tip on top of that, you can add it on the receipt you will sign or hand cash directly. That is a personal option and decision.

Enjoy your first cruise!!!

Edited by eandj

Since I leave my daily auto tips intact which covers room service I don't care to double tip but it's an individual decision.

I agree, Daily gratuities if left on your stateroom folio, includes tips for the (Stateroom Steward, Dinning room Stewards, the MD, and Others - that provide you services. Since Tipping is a personal issue, I leave tipping the room server up to you. Personally we always give the steward delivering our morning breakfast a couple of bucks.

Since I leave my daily auto tips intact which covers room service I don't care to double tip but it's an individual decision.

I was not aware that room service staff shared in the auto tip pool.

We rarely (almost never) order room service. When we have we'll provide a tip. However, I'd be interested in knowing if the room service staff is included in the auto tip pool. Perhaps the assumption is that many passengers provide an additional tip and therefore they are not included.

Anyone know for sure?

We rarely (almost never) order room service. When we have we'll provide a tip. However, I'd be interested in knowing if the room service staff is included in the auto tip pool. Perhaps the assumption is that many passengers provide an additional tip and therefore they are not included.

Anyone know for sure?

Per Princess' Website:

During your cruise, regardless of which Princess ship you choose, you will meet staff who provide you with excellent service. Crew members often rotate to different vessels within the Princess fleet which helps to maintain our high standards on every ship. These dedicated workers reflect our philosophy that all crew on all ships are but one family who share in our success.

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per guest in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

It specifically says 'ALL WAITSTAFF'

Per Princess' Website:

During your cruise, regardless of which Princess ship you choose, you will meet staff who provide you with excellent service. Crew members often rotate to different vessels within the Princess fleet which helps to maintain our high standards on every ship. These dedicated workers reflect our philosophy that all crew on all ships are but one family who share in our success.

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per guest in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

It specifically says 'ALL WAITSTAFF'

But it does not mention RS. I don't see them as waitstaff.

To me waitstaff are DR/Buffet staff etc.

Room service is provided by waitstaff on Celebrity. They are not some special group of people. We have seen and talked to the same waitstaff working in the buffet at the afternoon shift that delivered our coffee earlier. They are waitstaff given assigned shifts in different venues.

Needless,tipping on top of the daily gratuity is optional for any of the staff and servers.

Room service is provided by waitstaff on Celebrity. They are not some special group of people. We have seen and talked to the same waitstaff working in the buffet at the afternoon shift that delivered our coffee earlier. They are waitstaff given assigned shifts in different venues.

Needless,tipping on top of the daily gratuity is optional for any of the staff and servers.

Are you saying this is also true on Princess?

But it does not mention RS. I don't see them as waitstaff.

To me waitstaff are DR/Buffet staff etc.

Room service is part of the waitstaff. They are included in the auto tip. If you want to tip them additionally then go ahead and do so. If you don't want to then don't - you have already tipped them by paying for the daily gratuity.

Whether people tip extra, who they tip extra, etc. are personal decisions and I don't believe that anybody else can (or should try to) make this decision for you. Do as you like. Either way you won't be "wrong".

Are you saying this is also true on Princess?

Yes, sorry. :o The policy is the same on both lines. The wait staff is assigned shifts. And they rotate. And you can see them at other venues. We do room service breakfast every morning while cruising. So we have had lots of experience with the room service staff and have talked to them on both lines.

Room service is part of the waitstaff. They are included in the auto tip. If you want to tip them additionally then go ahead and do so. If you don't want to then don't - you have already tipped them by paying for the daily gratuity.

Whether people tip extra, who they tip extra, etc. are personal decisions and I don't believe that anybody else can (or should try to) make this decision for you. Do as you like. Either way you won't be "wrong".

I agree, 'all wait staff' is 'all wait staff'. That's why I pasted the entire blurb from Princess' website about who was included. It wouldn't make any sense for them to carve out only the RS staff.

I also agree with your comments on tipping extra.

Edited by Paula_MacFan

I agree that tipping is up to the individual. As for tipping for Room Service, well if you want that special feeling of being pampered, then what does it hurt to tip the person giving it to you in the luxury of your own room? Like so many of you, I carry a "Tipping Fund" of money comprised of $2's,$5's and $10's to handle any situation from RS, Tour Guides, Porters, extra special service from wait staff at dinner and not to forget our Room Stewards! When I request service, I was taught to acknowledge that service with a kind word and then an acceptable remuneration!

On our last 14 day cruise to Hawaii, we had the same young lady bring our morning coffee all but 1 day! So I guess that it depends on the ship and other things as to how they handle RS!

You get what you pay for and I expect very good service when we are on vacation/cruises!

Just Mike

Whether RS is included or not we will carry on as we have for 25 plus years on Princess and continue to tip a few extra $$$$ to them and our DR staff and bartenders around the ship... After all these guys and gals work extra hard like all other crew. They deserve it. :cool: