Will the next new Captain be Greek?

Orator

It is not my intention to make this thread about Captain Kate, but rather the implications for the future direction of Celebrity.

When RCL took over Celebrity part of the agreement included a provision that the Captains on the ships would continue to be Greeks for ten years. That provision expired a long time ago and since the expiration there has only been one non Greek Captain. Now we have a second. I wonder if this is a one time event, or a move away from Greek Captains. To the best of my knowledge all of the Staff Captains, except one who is Italian, are Greek. If Celebrity does move away from Greek Captains they would need to seek Captains who grew up outside the Celebrity culture. Most of the younger, new Captains are homegrown and worked their way through the ranks at Celebrity. I wonder if this would change the character of the brand and whether it would be positive or negative, I don't know!

I would be concerned about a large exodus of Greek Senior Officers who might see their chances of advancement reduced.

I know that one Captain has recently left and new ships will create more spots. It will be interesting to see who's named next.

Celebrity is currently looking for a Captain "german speaking" and a Staff Captain "german speaking" so chances are high that there will be (a) german captain(s).

Maybe for the two new ships?

Maybe because many pax are German they want them to be able to converse with their good customers. Europeans are taught several languages in school and are fluent in several.

Celebrity is currently looking for a Captain "german speaking" and a Staff Captain "german speaking" so chances are high that there will be (a) german captain(s).

Interesting. Was this contained in a news release or job advertisement? Would love to read the release and appreciate if you could post it. Would be a surprising direction, at least for me, for Celebrity. I'm certain that there will be much speculation about the new builds.

Yes, I saw those on the 'Job Opportunities' list on the X careers part of the website. I did wonder if it was in preparation for the new ships?

Although I've really liked all of the Greek captains (especially Captain George) that I've met on X -- I'm hoping that this recent move opens some doors for the hard-working staff captains. These folks are all ship's masters in their own right, but not all are Greek. The handsome, intelligent, and very witty Nigel Smyth (currently on Summit) comes to mind. :cool:

Maybe because many pax are German they want them to be able to converse with their good customers. Europeans are taught several languages in school and are fluent in several.

Yes we germans love to travel and are one of the greatest cruise ship markets, currently (2014) #2 behind the US. And yes we are tought several languages at school which is very good!

Interesting. Was this contained in a news release or job advertisement? Would love to read the release and appreciate if you could post it. Would be a surprising direction, at least for me, for Celebrity. I'm certain that there will be much speculation about the new builds.

It's on the Celebrity Careers at sea Website - even a german speaking Environmental Officer is searched. As the "german speaking" is named in the Job name itself, I think it is more than "just anybody who can speak german".

Here are the three job descriptions:

Captain German Speaking

Staff Captain German Speaking

Environmental Officer German Speaking

Make sure you also visit the website and take a look at the "Life onboard" section, quite interesting to read!

Edited by UniPac

Although I've really liked all of the Greek captains (especially Captain George) that I've met on X -- I'm hoping that this recent move opens some doors for the hard-working staff captains. These folks are all ship's masters in their own right, but not all are Greek. The handsome, intelligent, and very witty Nigel Smyth (currently on Summit) comes to mind. :cool:

Cantu is from Italy, but other than Cantu and Smyrh I believe that all others that I've met are Greek. Now, I haven't been on all ships in the last two years, so my information might be incomplete. Looks like the opportunities for Greek Staff Captains and Assistant Chief Engineers might be limited. They also appear to be looking outside their corporate culture. Not necessarily a bad idea, but it might affect morale. Perhaps we'll see Greek Staff Captains and Assistant Chief Engineers doing Rosetta Stone in the I Lounge?

I don't see why there would be a conscious decision to go away from Greek captains. I also fail to see how the nationality of the captain would have any influence on the culture of the on board experience of the guest. Perhaps it would affect the culture behind the scenes of say, an officer's experience in interacting with their fellow crew members.

Perhaps it would affect the culture behind the scenes of say, an officer's experience in interacting with their fellow crew members.

That's my point. The last 4 or 5 appointments, ending with Capt. Kate, have gone to younger Captains who stared their careers with Celebrity and advanced through the ranks at Celebrity. Most, if not all, served with each other at one time or another. I believe that they all all professionals and will always do their job in the most professional way; however, interpersonal relationships might change. Senior Officers from Captain down must trust those under their command. Can you fully trust one who you have not trained and has not been trained in the culture? No, the sky isn't falling and I doubt if passenger will notice any change at all. The change, if it happens, might indeed be a long term positive with Celebrity looking for the best of the best from other lines without regard to nationality.

Hi,

I am not new to cruising ..... started cruising on cruise ships in late 80s ..... and I could maybe name one or two captains.

Does it really make a difference for the new or average cruiser who the captain is ? Very few get to meet them or dine with them ...... and even fewer are on the cruise critic writing about them.

As long as they are qualified to do their job ..... what difference does it really make to the probably 99% of the guests.

The ships are bigger and bigger ...... 3000 ..... 4000 even close to 6000 people on some of them ...... how many get to meet the captain ? how many get to dine with him/her, and what impact does that have on their cruising experience.

Please give me some ideas what am I missing in my understanding of the importance of who the captain is, or his/her nationality. And I am not looking for the importance of the duty and position of the captain but just what difference does it make to the average cruiser .

Edited by wieslaw

That's my point. The last 4 or 5 appointments, ending with Capt. Kate, have gone to younger Captains who stared their careers with Celebrity and advanced through the ranks at Celebrity. Most, if not all, served with each other at one time or another. I believe that they all all professionals and will always do their job in the most professional way; however, interpersonal relationships might change. Senior Officers from Captain down must trust those under their command. Can you fully trust one who you have not trained and has not been trained in the culture? No, the sky isn't falling and I doubt if passenger will notice any change at all. The change, if it happens, might indeed be a long term positive with Celebrity looking for the best of the best from other lines without regard to nationality.

You make a very interesting point, Charles. A true study in contrast is X's sister-line, RC. In our years of cruising with them, we had Norwegian, Swedish, Canadian -- and even one American -- Masters at the helm. Since the ships' senior officers on RC are not as gregarious as those on X, we did not have much opportunity to observe their interactions with each other (or with the passengers).

Hi,

I am not new to cruising ..... started cruising on cruise ships in late 80s ..... and I could maybe name one or two captains.

Does it really make a difference for the new or average cruiser who the captain is ? Very few get to meet them or dine with them ...... and even fewer are on the cruise critic writing about them.

As long as they are qualified to do their job ..... what difference does it really make to the probably 99% of the guests.

The ships are bigger and bigger ...... 3000 ..... 4000 even close to 6000 people on some of them ...... how many get to meet the captain ? how many get to dine with him/her, and what impact does that have on their cruising experience.

Please give me some ideas what am I missing in my understanding of the importance of who the captain is, or his/her nationality. And I am not looking for the importance of the duty and position of the captain but just what difference does it make to the average cruiser .

Have you ever been on a cruise Captained by one of the Kafetzis brothers? A cruise with them is quite difference from a cruise without them. They make a real difference.

Celebrity doesn't have a 4000 passenger ship. In fact, the new builds will be smaller than the current S Class ships.

Have you ever been on a cruise Captained by one of the Kafetzis brothers? A cruise with them is quite difference from a cruise without them. They make a real difference...

Yes; I totally agree with this! We were fortunate to sail with Dimitrios Kafetzis last year. He set a great tone for the entire ship -- crew and passengers.

You don't need to dine or interact directly with the captain to be the beneficiary of his (or her) presence.

Jane

Its not about nationality it is about personality and leadership style below stairs - something we do not have a close view of but does have a significant impact on all cruises.

Yes sometimes people can be piqued that they have been passed over but if the cruise line has the right performance management processes, it should be no surprise to these individuals if they do not have what is being looked for in a modern captain.

Employers change - at land as well as at sea - it can be hard to hear that as you currently behave you do not fit the requirements going forward, you then have three choices

*Change yourself

*Accept the situation

*Change your employer

The most important thing to remember, whatever your job in life, things change and you do not have an automatic right to move up the ladder - there has to be a point you are going no further.

Personally I would like to see a more diverse mix of Leaders - because that is what Captains are - because all the evidence in research shows that in international organisations (in that I mean organisations that draw their employees internationally) diversity of leadership produces far better work outputs and team spirit.

So for me, it is never "all Greek for me"

This should be for TUI Cruises as Celebrity still hires and coordinates the Captains for all "Mein Schiffs".

I think all the Captains should be Greek in keeping with the heritage of the Company. AND our Queen Elizabeth II has allegedly been sleeping with a greek man for many years - allegedly I stress [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Edited by LA_Design

Good points Orator. I don't have much to say on this topic, other than Captain Kate might be considered a game changer regarding Celebrity's history on Captains. I certainly wish her all the very best of success at Celebrity. It will be interesting to see what Celebrity's mindset is, moving forward.

I notice that an earlier post mentions the RCL captains not being as gregarious, and I assume may not be as available - this should be the deciding factor, experience and being a welcoming host. I'm a little partial, since I have Greek heritage, but would be open to positive change for all passengers.

It's not about nationality it is about personality and leadership style below stairs - something we do not have a close view of but does have a significant impact on all cruises. The most important thing to remember, whatever your job in life, things change and you do not have an automatic right to move up the ladder - there has to be a point you are going no further. Personally I would like to see a more diverse mix of Leaders - because that is what Captains are - because all the evidence in research shows that in international organisations (in that I mean organisations that draw their employees internationally) diversity of leadership produces far better work outputs and team spirit. So for me, it is never "all Greek for me"

Appreciate these above highlighted comments from uktog, plus a number of other comments on this thread. Interesting!! Did not know there was a historic requirement for Celebrity only to have Greek Captains. With other cruise lines and companies, we have had very good Captains who have been from Norway and Italy, etc.

I was impressed during the CBS-TV interview with new Captain Kate that she mentioned her top priority was safety, not (in my words) "working the crowd" and being a "personality". Safety is the top concern with her and other Captains we have had a chance to interact with closely!! BUT, as shown below, it was nice on our Solstice cruise last year that the Captain was nice enough to pose for a quick picture and be so friendly.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 120,472 views for this posting.

As we were departing the ship for Cape Kidnapper/Napier, NZ, the Captain of the Solstice, Zisis Taramas, from Evia island, Greece, was outside supervising operations. I asked him if he would posed for a picture with three members of our Central Ohio group. He said YES! and enjoyed the time with these three fine ladies, including my wife on the left. Fun start on a beautiful weather day.:

NapCapKidGannets1_zps67eddfdc.jpg