Cruise from San Francisco

Benjis

How long does it take to get from San Francisco airport to the cruise terminal. We land at 1800. We think we have 2 hours to get to cruise terminal. On Auora 25 Jan 2016, does anybody know what time she sails.

What time is the ship scheduled to sail ? You have to be on board 90 minutes before departure . Count on about 90 minutes from the airport to the pier. That is the height of rush hour traffic.

2 hours is cutting it close . You have to count on at least 30 minutes to deplane and collect luggage.

Where you flying from ? Is there US pre clearance in your point of departure . If not add another 30 minutes or more to clear US customs.

Then if plane is late you are really hooped.

You should always, always fly in the day before. Flying in the same day is too risky due to flight delays and cancellations. But anyway, good luck. Unfortunately you are going to need it.

ETA: And also, I'm thinking that due to the way you are writing the date (25 Jan 2016 instead of Jan 25, 2016), you are not from the U.S., are you? People in the U.S. don't write dates like that. Which means if you are on an international flight you have to go through customs, correct? Which means that will take even longer.

Seriously, if you can change your flight, do so asap. Not trying to be a Debbie-downer, just realistic.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Coming from the UK you will probably have to spend extra time at Immigration then the trip to the port etc..

I just checked I see your ship sails at midnight so as long as you do not get too waylaid by immigration you should make the port by 10 pm

I would try to change your flight to arrive the day before or at least in the morning

Edited by LHT28

Agreed.

You will need more than two hours to make your sailing, especially since (Highway) 101 can be a hot mess even in the best of times. You'll be traveling during the evening commute, and I've always known the 101 to be packed and crazy at that time.

If at all possible, you should try to arrive the day before, or early morning the day of your sailing. Good luck!

I sure hope this was sold to you as a fly-cruise package from P&O so that they would be monitoring your arrival and hold a transfer (and the gangway open) for you should there be any delays.

If this flight was booked independently then your travel agent (or whomever recommended it) did you a serious disservice. I would be climbing the walls and scratching my eyes out for the entire 11 hours on that plane knowing that with such a minuscule margin of error the flight may be for naught.

And it being a Monday doesn't help matters.

If you are on a P&O fly package then tis OK. But if doing this on your own you are totally nutz and should change your flight. Your ship is scheduled to sail around midnight which would be OK with your flight assuming that the flight lands on time. But, these days, the airlines are not dependable and you have little time to spare. If the cruise line has you booked on a package they would likely hold the ship (a good thing). Given that the next 3 days are sea days it would not be a good thing to miss the ship and have to fly all the way to Hawaii to catch-up.

If you are flying on your own (or even on a P&O package) it is a shame you are not flying-in to San Francisco at least a day early. San Francisco is a wonderful tourist city and not having time to enjoy some of its charms (even if in the winter) is a shame.

Hank

Must apologise i did not make myself clear. We are booked on the P&O Auora through P&O 25 January and P&O have put us on a flight from London to San francisco arriving at 6pm. I did not know what time the ship sailed and was wondering if you in USA could tell me how long the jorney was from the airport. i have now discovered the ship sails at midnight so I am not worried now. however thank you all for the info.

The absolute fastest way from SFO to the cruise terminal would be taking BART from airport to Embarcadero then getting a cab the short distance to the terminal. It will be much faster than a taxi down 101. The trip on BART is about 35 minutes from airport to closest stop to terminal. It is then about about 2km to the cruise terminal. DH took BART in and out from airport yesterday.

We have been to Milton Keynes.

Edited by bethco

It's perfectly ok for you to write the date the way you did. Don't be concerned that we, on this side of the pond, write it differently.

Bethco, you might give the op a brief explanation as to what BART is.

Edited by Treven

It's perfectly ok for you to write the date the way you did. Don't be concerned that we, on this side of the pond, write it differently.

Bethco, you might give the op a brief explanation as to what BART is.

Good idea, sorry that I didn't do that. BART is Bay Area Rapid Transit. It is a train/subway with a network that runs a long way through the area. The cost for taking BART will be about $10 from airport to Embarcadero station. It is easy to take luggage on and off of BART. You can then come up an elevator or escalator to the street.

https://www.bart.gov

Edited by bethco

How long does it take to get from San Francisco airport to the cruise terminal. We land at 1800. We think we have 2 hours to get to cruise terminal. On Auora 25 Jan 2016, does anybody know what time she sails.

This is still "rush hour" in most of the Bay Area, which can be even worse if there's a special event going on. You are not getting off a plane at 6 and on a ship in time for an 8 pm departure.

AND, who comes to SF and doesn't stay a few days???

Good idea, sorry that I didn't do that. BART is Bay Area Rapid Transit. It is a train/subway with a network that runs a long way through the area. The cost for taking BART will be about $10 from airport to Embarcadero station. It is easy to take luggage on and off of BART. You can then come up an elevator or escalator to the street.

A lot of folks who don't ride BART suggest BART. This is a commuter train. Riding it with luggage is not a bright idea and BART doesn't take you to the cruise terminal (you'll need to transfer to MUNI or hike down the Embarcadero.

I ride BART with luggage every time I go to San Francisco. I would not take Muni to cruise terminal. The F line is not a good one for luggage. It's just a short text ride from the Embarcadero. Muni load on F line will decrease with the addition of E line but still a challenge with luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Treven

I ride BART with luggage every time I go to San Francisco. I would not take Muni to cruise terminal. The F line is not a good one for luggage. It's just a short text ride from the Embarcadero. Muni load on F line will decrease with the addition of E line but still a challenge with luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the F Line is that tiny street car, I definately would NOT take luggage on that!!

Ring P&O (or have your travel agent do so, if you used one) and see if they have a transfer service from airport to pier. Many cruise lines have this especially if you booked your flight through the cruise line. Chances are you will not be the only people flying from the UK to meet the ship.

Edited by Scrapnana

Must apologise i did not make myself clear. We are booked on the P&O Auora through P&O 25 January and P&O have put us on a flight from London to San francisco arriving at 6pm. I did not know what time the ship sailed and was wondering if you in USA could tell me how long the jorney was from the airport. i have now discovered the ship sails at midnight so I am not worried now. however thank you all for the info.

You really had us all worried. looks good to go now.

Ring P&O (or have your travel agent do so, if you used one) and see if they have a transfer service from airport to pier. Many cruise lines have this especially if you booked your flight through the cruise line. Chances are you will not be the only people flying from the UK to meet the ship.

Finally: a piece of sound advice. An agent, or a line, which provides flight and cruise would almost certainly provide the link between the two as well. You really do not want to take BART during a heavy travel period, with luggage, after getting off a flight from the UK.

As a footnote: it does seem a shame to pass through San Francisco without pausing to see that beautiful city.

I'm sorry to be gloomy, but your travel plans (east to west, across the US) doesn't take possible winter weather into account.

If your flight hits headwinds coming across the Atlantic (always possible) or a big snow storm coming across the US (they usually come west to east), you run a big risk of delays, especially if you must change planes in the US. January is often a challenging month for flying.

Coming to SFO at least 1 day earlier is a much safer bet.

Whatever you decide, best wishes for a fun cruise!

A lot of folks who don't ride BART suggest BART. This is a commuter train. Riding it with luggage is not a bright idea and BART doesn't take you to the cruise terminal (you'll need to transfer to MUNI or hike down the Embarcadero.

Lots of people take luggage on the BART (me included) what is the big deal? :confused: Of course I have also taken luggage on the NYC subway, NJ Transit train into NYC and the Chicago subway...so maybe I am just different. :rolleyes: