Question about three different ships

notalandlover

Im looking at a 15 cruise to hawaii. I got it narrowed down to the either the star, grand or crown. This question applies only to the ships. If you were going to choose this sailing based "only" on the ship which one would you choose and why. The dates of these sailing aren't a factor in this decision. Thanks in advance.

I would go on any of them. At the moment, I am partial to the Crown. Some say it's more crowded, but I haven't noticed that. The Adggio bar and the general decor of the ship make it a favorite of mine. It also has a larger IC with additional seating not on the others.

The Grand has Alfredo's!! YUM! Plus a covered pool (I think). The covered pool is a plus on those cold days out of and back to LA. I don't think she's "lacking" at all! But I also love Adagio's on the Crown!

Based solely on the ship I would pick the Star. I haven't been on the Grand yet (not until next month) so can't comment on her but the Crown has too many passengers for me. We found that created long lines for the elevators, Any Time Dining and tendering. That's not to say we wouldn't sail on the Crown again--she is a beautiful ship--but she just wouldn't be our first choice.

My first instinct is to lean towards a ship with fewer passengers which would eliminate Crown. But if you are going to elect Traditional Seating Dinner (rather than Anytime Dining) the Deck 6 Aft DR on Crown is larger, nicer and much more easily accessible than on Star or Grand.

If that is not a factor to you, both Star and Grand have two things I prefer over Crown: the Vista lounge as second theatre, and a smaller cozier Wheelhouse Bar for quiet pre-dinner drinks. Crown's Wheelhouse Bar is being converted to a Gastropub.

So between Star and Grand you have the following:

Star has Skywalker's nightclub

Grand has Alfredo's Pizzeria

Grand has no center staircase above Deck 7.

So if we stop here my recommendation would be Star Princess.

But if you have never sailed any of the Grand-class Princess ships before, there is, well, something to be said about experiencing the original one--despite how much has changed on her over 18 years. On a cruise with so many sea days I would choose the ship that fits me most comfortably, like a long broken in pair of shoes. And that would be the Grand.

Considering that the 15 day Hawaii cruise usually has a number of non-pool days over and back:

Star is my choice. - As compared to the Crown:The Star has Indoor Pool, Vista Lounge (extra theater for additional shows) as compared to Club Fusion on the Crown which is a nightclub style lounge, conservatory above the indoor pool, better Horizon Ct. layout, 500 fewer passengers.

As compared to the Grand: large closet area, Skywalker's, expanded seating and viewing area around the Lido pool, better Horizon Ct. layout center staircase top to bottom.

The only plus for the Grand is Alfredo's sit down waiter served individual pizzas, but you can get free pizza by the slice on all three ships.

Edited by sknight

I would also pick the Star. Less crowded than Crown, covered pool (which helps if the weather is bad to spread passengers out on deck), and Vista Lounge.

Crown would be last choice.

Edited by Coral

The Grand also has the covered pool which would come in handy on the cooler sea days. It also has Alfredos which, IMHO, is far superior to any of the other pizza offerings on all Princess ships. Star has Skywalkers which is pretty cool but the Grand has Club One Five. Same venue, slightly different atmosphere.

From which port is The Crown cruising to Hawaii? I wasn't aware there were three ships making this itinerary. Guess I need to check these out.

OK, I checked, there's ONE, and only one date for the Crown out of LA, in October.

Edited by iceleven

The Grand also has the covered pool which would come in handy on the cooler sea days. It also has Alfredos which, IMHO, is far superior to any of the other pizza offerings on all Princess ships. Star has Skywalkers which is pretty cool but the Grand has Club One Five. Same venue, slightly different atmosphere.

From which port is The Crown cruising to Hawaii? I wasn't aware there were three ships making this itinerary. Guess I need to check these out.

OK, I checked, there's ONE, and only one date for the Crown out of LA, in October.

Princess has reduced the number of sailings to Hawaii. The Ruby will also do the Hawaii run. The Crown in October goes to Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa. It's a 28 day cruise.

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

I would probably have to say the Star because although it's not as new as the Crown, it doesn't have the stigma of being the sick ship, and it has fewer pax. It's newer than the Grand and has been refurbished. That said, we had a great cruise on the Grand last summer. Basically, any would be fine, but I'd probably eek out a nod to the Star.

I would pick the ship that would have David Cole as Cruise Director and Elua, they cater to having the Hawaiian feel to the whole atmosphere of your cruise. They have so many things going on.

I would second that sentiment. We did the Star to Hawaii a couple of years ago and David Cole and Elua were both on that cruise. This January we are doing the Ruby, only because it was the ship that Elua was going to be on.

If none of this is important to you then I would lean towards the Star out of the three ships that you mentioned and for the same reasons that others have given.

I would pick the ship that would have David Cole as Cruise Director and Elua, they cater to having the Hawaiian feel to the whole atmosphere of your cruise. They have so many things going on.

ELUA is on the Ruby out of Los Angeles for most of this season; Dave Cole is on the Grand out of San Francisco for a limited time.

Not sure where the Star is out of and I do believe the Crown is only doing one Tahiti cruise in October.

Given a choice between the Ruby and the Grand...ship only...it is a toss up. Both have their own good features.

Grand has no center staircase above Deck 7.

I prefer the ships with Vista lounges, although I do enjoy Adagio on the Crown and Ruby. I will be on Grand for the first time in March. I keep hearing that the Grand doesn't have a center staircase, yet one shows up on the deck plans. Could someone please explain this to me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prefer the ships with Vista lounges, although I do enjoy Adagio on the Crown and Ruby. I will be on Grand for the first time in March. I keep hearing that the Grand doesn't have a center staircase, yet one shows up on the deck plans. Could someone please explain this to me?

The deck plans are generic. The staircase is there, it is for crew use only and is closed off for passenger usage. The staircase is available for passenger usage on the other Grand class ships, just not on the Grand.

The deck plans are generic. The staircase is there, it is for crew use only and is closed off for passenger usage. The staircase is available for passenger usage on the other Grand class ships, just not on the Grand.

Interesting! But the midship elevators are available to passengers?