Disappointed

wabamun

Just back from our first Oceania cruise. Spent thousands on the cruise, $280 on internet and they charged me 25 cents to print my boarding pass!

Really Oceania? Talk about nickel and dimes, or in this case quarter.

How disappointing.

:(

Just back from our first Oceania cruise. Spent thousands on the cruise, $280 on internet and they charged me 25 cents to print my boarding pass!

How disappointing.

:eek:!!

Two cruises back, I remember that printing was free. I was in the internet lounge and watched a cruiser print an entire Rick Steve's Book!!! (in color)

I was waiting to print a tour confirmation from a private guide. I watched as this cruiser used all the paper and emptied the ink.

I finally asked why he felt he should print a book.

He said, " We forgot our guide book and my wife wants to look at it tonight".

This may be a reason to charge for printing.:eek:

I know not many people on this forum will agree, but I was also disappointed with the Internet cost and service on O. Don't get me wrong we loved our cruise, only there is room for improvement in this area...

Compare the cost to Celebrity's internet, and get back to me. By the day it's $59, and still slow. Satellite internet is slow. I don't know if people expect the hi speed broadband they have at home or what? Expect old dial up speeds and you won't be disappointed.

25 cents to print boarding docs is not the end of the world IMO.

Many cruise lines do that. There is paper and ink involved, let's not forget.

I didn't pay last time on HAL, but I expected to.

as far as internet pricing goes, I am grateful to have had it included now as O's pricing is much higher than HAL's or other lines I have been on (not a fan of Celebrity, sorry).

but 25 cents? That would be the least of my worries when it comes to costs and I hope you had a good time. We're looking forward to our first cruise and if O wants 25 cents to print - I have no problem with that;)

I know not many people on this forum will agree, but I was also disappointed with the Internet cost and service on O. Don't get me wrong we loved our cruise, only there is room for improvement in this area...

In fact you are wrong if you think that "not many people on this forum will agree" with your comments about the internet service. It's pretty much standard for people to complain about the cost and speed especially when compared to the cost on other lines. When we did an NCL cruise 5 years ago the cost was significantly less than Oceania's charge and the service was noticeably faster.

I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to it if you continue to sail on O. I find that the other aspects about Oceania that we really like outweigh the internet situation even if I'm not happy about it. (These days we usually qualify for free internet so it no longer bothers me as much!)

And then there's the cost of ship's tours but not everyone uses those ...

Mura

Satellite internet is slow. I don't know if people expect the hi speed broadband they have at home or what? Expect old dial up speeds and you won't be disappointed.

Agree with you.

As slow as it is most of the time, it is just fine to occasionally check one's e mails, send a note or pay a bill - especially early AM or late at night. Anyone who goes on a cruise and spends their time surfing the web, as they might at home, needs to get a life (or stay home and surf). Bring a book if you are bored onboard the ship. Take a short break from Facebook and Twitter - it will still be there when you get back.

Exception are those few people who must stay in touch for work or family emergencies - and I don't envy them.

JMO

Edited by Paulchili

Agree with you.

As slow as it is most of the time, it is just fine to occasionally check one's e mails, send a note or pay a bill - especially early AM or late at night. Anyone who goes on a cruise and spends their time surfing the web, as they might at home, needs to get a life (or stay home and surf). Bring a book if you are bored onboard the ship. Take a short break from Facebook and Twitter - it will still be there when you get back.

Exception are those few people who must stay in touch for work or family emergencies - and I don't envy them.

JMO

plus 1

Jancruz1

Not that it's a big deal, but on principle: is/should there be a charge if you have O air? If you've booked through O, one might think . . . . .

Not sure about that, but I'm pretty sure if you have the unlimited package they don't charge, but don't hold me to that.

Edited by ORV

Just a thought...

The OP appears to be a Canadian. Unless the flight was a domestic Canadian flight, printing a boarding pass is not sufficient for check in. For all international flights one needs to show a passport and a proper BP will be issued at check in.

However, I could be wrong.

After many Oceania cruises, I was very annoyed at the charge for printing a boarding pass.

This was free on our previous cruises. Put the charge into some other charge so it is not seen by the passengers. This $.25 charge is not a goodwill wining idea.

There are rumblings on the news that there will be a charge at the airport to provide passengers with a boarding pass. Perhaps Oceania will relook at their policy and will permit free printing of boarding passes. However, printing a whole book as one posted indicated -- I would charge $1.00/page - just on principle!

Don't sweat the small stuff. Life is too short. I just spent 4 months in the hospital and was not supposed to make it. My wife saved my life. Doctors were wrong. Our view on life is now quite different. A 25cent charge wouldn't come close to our radar

Actually, I think it's the cost of printing the pass. It's 25 cents to print anything. How would Oceania know it's a boarding pass?

It's a little different if one does not have internet, free or paid. On Celebrity a few years ago, they let people use the ship computer free to obtain the boarding pass. I thought it was a nice gesture. Subsequently, at a town meeting on Regatta in 2013 with FDR, I suggested that, and was essentially laughed out of the meeting. I was reminded the passes can be printed at the airport, but I've had to wait in line to get to the kiosk. I was reminded they can be put on a smartphone, but my wife didn't want one at the time. Bottom line, the idea went nowhere.

Edited by hondorner

Don't sweat the small stuff. Life is too short. I just spent 4 months in the hospital and was not supposed to make it. My wife saved my life. Doctors were wrong. Our view on life is now quite different. A 25cent charge wouldn't come close to our radar

+1..Great that you are better and have many good travels

+2

Had a couple of very close calls myself recently that tend to change one's perspective as to what is important in life and what is not.

Glad to hear that you are doing well.

I have only printed off boarding passes twice cost .50 each time not a big deal to me

Last time I got to the check in desk they printed off new ones so now just get them at check in desk

Life is too short to worry over a quarter

How disappointing.

If you really need to secure your boarding passes before arriving at the airport (where you'll still need to get your checked luggage tagged), why not get the airline's smart phone app? Scan the phone page "boarding pass" when you check in,

On our first O cruise about 5 years ago the one thing that was a burr under my saddle was paying for a bottle of water as we exited the ship on a shore excursion we'd paid quite a lot of money for.

At the end of the cruise I objected to it & said that it was one thing to pay a great deal for the cruise as a whole, or for the shore excursions in & of themselves, but to be asked to pay for water on the shore excursions was just annoying - nickel & diming!

And they changed the policy! Be noisy if your cause is worthwhile.

My point was not the 25 cent charge or the need for a boarding pass. I just couldn't believe that Oceania had the temerity to charge such a small fee after all the money I'd just given them.

I had an extra slice of bacon at breakfast which should just about cover it.

:D