Balance was due Tues, today-Thurs price down

metairiegal

Don't you just hate that?! And, we KNEW it would happen!

We are booked on the Emerald, waited until the last minute to pay the balance, and now 2 days later the price dropped $100/ea in our category. And, the "higher" category right next to our booked cabin is $60/ea less than what we are paying.

Is it worth a call? I've never had much success with these types of calls, but I'm interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

We are booked on the Emerald, waited until the last minute to pay the balance, and now 2 days later the price dropped $100/ea in our category. And, the "higher" category right next to our booked cabin is $60/ea less than what we are paying.

Is it worth a call? I've never had much success with these types of calls, but I'm interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

All you can do is try. ;)

We were on the Regal (last year) in a self-selected Deluxe Obstructed Balcony. Made final payment. Then the pricing on non-obstructed deluxe balcony cabins dropped a whole lot! Regular balcony cabins also dropping. However, there was no change in pricing on any deluxe obs. bal. anywhere on the ship!

Pointed this out to our TA and asked if maybe they'd just move us to a non-obs deluxe bal and not even change the amount we paid...or maybe give us a big OBC.

She went to work on our behalf and we ended up in a mini-suite with no change in our costs (BTW: the pricing on mini-suites was dropping too but not as low as our original pricing).

Sure...contact them and if you have a good TA, let them call. The only thing that might happen is nothing but it's worth the chance. In our case, the TA was NOT able to see the price changes that had occurred until she went directly to the Princess website (I don't remember why that was), so have your info ready for your TA to help them out if needed.

Of course it's worth a call. Call your t.a. if booked thru one or Princess if booked direct.

Just make sure you have a deck plan in front of you and know any changes like losing obcs or charged fees for changing. Good luck.

Thanks, guys! :)

We don't have a TA - booked directed with Princess. Good advice on having a deck plan in front of us when we call!

I'm thinking we won't get anything, but ya gotta try right?! I would be thrilled with a shipboard credit.

That's one of the reasons I book most of our cruises after the final payment date. I've got a spreadsheet going for Christmas cruises. The biggest savings have been on HAL cruises--up to $650 less per person for a balcony on one particular cruise. For the Princess cruises I tracked, the biggest drop was only $200 pp for a balcony. On one of the cruises, the prices are up $150 pp for the base categories.

You can typically upgrade to a different room if you pay the difference (we do if the difference is slight because of the reduction). One thing that is kind of annoying... if Princess gives you any OBC, or other specials, you lose that if you upgrade. Maybe that's why they try to do so many upsells. I think if they do an upgrade that doesn't happen, but so far any upgrades we've been given were to worse rooms than we'd already booked so we got our old rooms back.

That doesn't happen on Royal Caribbean. They allow you to upgrade after final payment, or before, without losing any special benefits.

Tom

Be interesting and encouraging to know how you get on.:)

That's one of the reasons I book most of our cruises after the final payment date. I've got a spreadsheet going for Christmas cruises. The biggest savings have been on HAL cruises--up to $650 less per person for a balcony on one particular cruise. For the Princess cruises I tracked, the biggest drop was only $200 pp for a balcony. On one of the cruises, the prices are up $150 pp for the base categories.

For those of us who still have to work (ugh) that just isn't an option. My wife and I have discussed doing that once I finally retire but, for the next year or so, work keeps me from that sort of flexibility.

Well, one call didn't get us anywhere.

As I mentioned above, the next higher category was available at a lower price (and is literally next door to the cabin we have currently booked). They would have moved us "up" to a category next door, but we turned it down. Seems silly to move next door without any credit. (These are both ocean view categories.)

I may try calling tonight to see what another rep says.

Edited by metairiegal

Of course you can ask....BUT, you booked early because you wanted that cruise date and that cabin. Summer clothes are cheaper in September. Christmas cards are 1/2 priced December 26. I'm just surprised anyone feels wronged when prices drop after final payment date. Assuming there are cabins available in the category you want. ;>》

I may try calling tonight to see what another rep says.

Sure call again a couple times more. Different times and days might produce different results. Three tries, and I'd quit. ;)

As I mentioned above, the next higher category was available at a lower price (and is literally next door to the cabin we have currently booked). They would have moved us "up" to a category next door, but we turned it down. Seems silly to move next door without any credit. (These are both ocean view categories.)

I may try calling tonight to see what another rep says.[/QUOte]From what I have seen in the past, Princess is much more likely to offer a free upgrade rather than OBC in this sort of situation, especially when the new prices are marked for New Bookings Only.

From what I have seen in the past, Princess is much more likely to offer a free upgrade rather than OBC in this sort of situation, especially when the new prices are marked for New Bookings Only.

I called when the price dropped after final payment & was marked as for new bookings only. I was transferred to Customer Relations who explained they could not give me the price drop but DID give me $50 obc each labeled goodwill. (the price drop was about $64 each) I was satisfied with that. I did call fully prepared to hear NO.. and OK with it.

I called when the price dropped after final payment & was marked as for new bookings only. I was transferred to Customer Relations who explained they could not give me the price drop but DID give me $50 obc each labeled goodwill. (the price drop was about $64 each) I was satisfied with that. I did call fully prepared to hear NO.. and OK with it.

Too bad they did not do that for the OP, all she was offered was the upgrade.

What's the worst that can happen if you call, they say no.

By all means, if want to try again, call again, but the CSR's do log calls, so they will know if you just asked for the same thing the day before. I'd want to have a different angle or reason to my pitch.

Good idea.

Since I've only called regarding the first of our December cruises, I might call today regarding our 2nd cruise in December. They were booked separately, and are couple of weeks apart. The same thing happened with both cruises, price drop 2 days after balance was due. I know the answer is no - but what the heck, it is only a phone call.

Yippee!

Dh just called about both of our December cruises - (they are booked separately, not BTB, with a week in between them).

On the 1st one (5-nighter) they gave us a $25 per person shipboard credit. On the 2nd one (8-nighter) they gave us a $50 per person shipboard credit.

Definitely worth a couple of calls.

ETA: Credits show up as "Customer Goodwill" on our booking summary.

Edited by metairiegal

Yippee!

Dh just called about both of our December cruises - (they are booked separately, not BTB, with a week in between them).

On the 1st one (5-nighter) they gave us a $25 per person shipboard credit. On the 2nd one (8-nighter) they gave us a $50 per person shipboard credit.

Definitely worth a couple of calls.

ETA: Credits show up as "Customer Goodwill" on our booking summary.

Excellent!! I'm happy for you and I hope you consider having a "free" dinner in the Crown Grill or Sabatini's with your "found money"!;)