Rcl gratuities?

it's been a while since on rcl. how do cruise grats work now? seems like it was up to the individual, or are they adding them daily to your account. ya'll set me straight! thx,Red:cool:

They are added daily to your on board account. Here is the most recent amounts

Effective June 1, 2015 The automatic gratuity is $12.95 USD, or $15.95 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. Here's how it is shared between your onboard service team:

• Dining & Culinary Services: $7.75 USD
  • Stateroom Attendant: $3.85 USD OR Suite Attendant: $6.10 USD
  • Other Housekeeping Services: $1.35 USD OR Housekeeping and Suite Services: $2.10 USD

You can request to have these amounts removed from your onboard account by visiting Guest Services.

Why don't they just include this automatically in every fare?

I know when I booked there was an advertised fare and then it was more when it came to paying as this was then included. It would save the stuffing around and confusion especially in cultures where tipping is not normal or expected.

Why don't they just include this automatically in every fare? ....especially in cultures where tipping is not normal or expected.

Because then people would have a harder time not paying gratuities. Some passengers feel they should not pay them at all. You've actually answered your own question - in some cultures, tipping is not expected. Add grats to every fare and many passengers would have something to say about it.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I know when I booked there was an advertised fare and then it was more when it came to paying as this was then included. It would save the stuffing around and confusion especially in cultures where tipping is not normal or expected.

One reason is that by not including them, they can advertise a lower price which is what all the lines seek to do. In addition, the gratuities are not included in the amount on which the line pays a commission to travel agents.

It has been treated separately from the cruise fare as long as we have been cruising so there really is no incentive to the lines to change and it is something most of us have long since learned to include when we budget for our cruises.

Anyone want to bet $50 against my belief that Cabansail here is going to hate cruising?

Think you will have to define that a bit better.

Would probably take your bet myself as I 'hate' very little.

Just not sure I will become a fan of it and return.

Think you will have to define that a bit better.

Would probably take your bet myself as I 'hate' very little.

Just not sure I will become a fan of it and return.

I "bet" you will become a fan of cruising and may even book your next cruise while onboard ;)

Fares may differ between countries and those not coming from tipping cultures tend to get fares where gratuities are already included.

Fares may differ between countries and those not coming from tipping cultures tend to get fares where gratuities are already included.

It wasn't included in the advertised price but added on before we paid. About $600 extra for the trip.

If you select My Time Dinning you must prepay the tips. They will not charge your onboard account. Correct?

Is this still true? I've selected it twice now (well, forced on me lol) and had the option to NOT prepay tips.

Edited by dada2199cc

Is this more of our culture that you don't like. You should have included tips in your list.

Edited by John&LaLa