It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

We didn't get any email and we leave on the 5th.

We leave 3 weeks today from Australia so formal it is. My daughter turning 16 on the cruise spent weeks finding just the right long dress so it will be coming with us.

Just as well we are B2B with a Princess cruise that will still have formal at least for New Years Eve.

I think you'll find many people go 'all out' for the Christmas celebrations. I know that we do over here for any Christmas functions i.e. work's outings etc. In my wardrobe(s), there are items I would only wear over the Christmas period. I presume that it's that way for most developed countries, or is this not the case throughout the world? I'm sure someone will put me right :D.

As long as we don't have an onslaught of everyone in Christmas jumpers (sweaters) on our holiday sailing next year, I'll be happy :p.

image.jpg1_zpsqv05yuxa.jpg

Edited by villauk

Oh come on. This is not the end of the world. Non compliance can and does happen on all cruise lines. We are on a RCCL ship now and have been for the last 23 days and have seen nothing like you describe. According to your logic, this disaster should be happening on Oceania,Azamara, et al and if you've ever sailed one of the true premium lines you would know that simply is not the case.

If someone's cruise experience pivots on formal nights (and not the magic of travel, visiting new destinations, meeting diverse people and dozens of other benefits) then that type of travel is just a tad too shallow for our tastes.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Honestly, just like you like to meet diverse people etc., some people travel just to relax and enjoy the company of family and close friends. I do not travel to meet diverse people as my primary reason for travel- to each his/her own. We have had negative experiences on board with people who apparently think what they have to say is extremely interesting and speak very loud.

It isn't being shallow, but being selective. If I meet nice people great- if not so be it. Everyone should decide what type of vacation works for them, that is the beauty of a cruise. We live in a diverse world and to each his/her own. Let's respect our differences.

To me the photo I posted of the woman in jeans and heels is super fancy and chic. Evening jacket and heels that probably cost more than my mortgage payment! To me that fits "evening chic" for sure- she would fit in at any fine restaurant here in NYC.

I believe there's a Summit charter for that very purpose! And for sure my Azamara Quest sailing in 2016 will follow a "hedonistic" charter :eek: So it's hard to get worked up over these dress code issues!

Or rather, undressed code in those cases!

:D

Formal nights have already become optional. Each time I cruise, I look at what people wear on formal nights. Some people truly wear formal attire. They look nice. Most people wear nice clothing which is dressy and not formal. They look nice. Often people dress in formal attire just for dinner and change into casual attire after dinner. That is not looking very nice. It has already become a wear what you want. I was on the Silhouette Recently in Europe for 14 nights.3 formal nights. First formal night, many men wore tirs and jackets( few suits and fewer tuxedos) second formal night, fewer jackets and ties. By the 3rd formal night, many men wore a collared shirt and no tie. Woman in gowns ? There were a few and they looked out of place. Several skirts and dresses and glittery tops on the first formal night. On the other formal nights, most women wore dark pants and tops. People have already gone away from foral attire. Our lives have become casual. I seldom dress up. It has been years since I have received an invitation to a wedding that had black tie requested. I applaud Celebrity for the change. It will certainly make packing easier and cheaper. Take the money that you night have paid for new formal clothes or extra baggage fees and buy an excursion or a drink package. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the Modern Luxury. what you wear does not make or break a cruise. Years ago I had my luggage lost for most of a 2 week cruise. Wore the clothes on my back and Celebriry tees. I had a fabulous cruise.

I don't understand why it wasn't made effective immediately. Why pick an arbitrary date of Dec 5? What's magical that day?

If an arbitrary date was needed what not make it any cruise beginning on January 1, 2016 the formal night dress code is not longer in effect. Any wear that is "smart" casual or above is welcome any and all nights. Then there is no confusion and allows the passengers the maximum flexibility on what they need to pack.

We have been told, the 'Celebrity Today' is pre printed 4 weeks at a time. The 'date' allows for them to be changed.

image.jpg.024dcf0ce787972a06417f36b479a763.jpg

Oh come on. This is not the end of the world. Non compliance can and does happen on all cruise lines. We are on a RCCL ship now and have been for the last 23 days and have seen nothing like you describe. According to your logic, this disaster should be happening on Oceania,Azamara, et al and if you've ever sailed one of the true premium lines you would know that simply is not the case.

If someone's cruise experience pivots on formal nights (and not the magic of travel, visiting new destinations, meeting diverse people and dozens of other benefits) then that type of travel is just a tad too shallow for our tastes.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Please do not try to reframe my "logic." If we use YOUR logic (that non-compliance happens on ALL cruise lines) then that MUST include Oceania, Azamara, et al.

Edited by existentialtraveler

How dare celebrity be a realist in this changing world.

What will my valet do now that I wear a dinner jacket instead of tails?

What is next, wearing these new fangled contacts instead of my monocle?

Oh the humanity!

I mean seeing how other people dress or not dressed totally changes how the food taste.

>.>

Just because a person is wearing valentino shoes and expensive jeans- doesn't make them look great- in fact with such high heels you might trip and break your ankle on a moving ship!

Agreed. That is NOT chic, that's casual. That's barely "smart casual".

Where I work the dress code has been very relaxed now to the point that the ladies can wear something like that. The men can wear dress shirts and jeans as well, as long as the jeans are not faded. Even then with such a relaxed atmosphere, they needed to send an email out to people to remind them how they needed to be dressed. You give an inch, they take a mile.

I'll continue to wear my white Tux' or black dinner suit. I dress to impress my wife and compliment her attire on special occasions. How others choose to dress makes absolutely no difference to me.

The luggage allowance for flying isn't an issue either. I just work it so everything I want to take is included.

So this is what you are calling "chic"? This guy looks like he is about to go the farmer's market to buy a pumpkin and a stop at McDonalds, hardly worthy of the MDR on any night but on Chic night?

I'm not calling it anything. I'm not an arbiter of style.

I am saying however that style is more the trend of todays up and coming young adults and the sort of dress you find in upscale metropolitan bars and restaurants and this is the clientele Celebrity wants. That you think this is what people where to farmers markets and McDonald's clearly indicates to me that you are out of touch with todays under 40 set, many of whom don't consider suits or tuxes to be modern luxury, but to be a bit old fashioned and, frankly, the way that people who service them now dress.

The photo used in my example was meant to offer a sample of what upscale "denim" can be, and that not all denim is farmers overalls. Perhaps you are taking my example too literally as being the one and only fashion todays 20-40 year old set likes? That isn't the intent.

It doesn't matter what label is applied, that's the fashions of today, and the cruise lines want today's money to become tomorrows money. So they are offering more flexibility and options. No one is going to force anyone to dress in the style depicted in that photo, but it is clearly an option. If you or your party enjoy dressing to the nines, that will be welcomed as well. If you think stretchy pants and a blingy top are "formal", well, you are welcomed to that as well. Whatever appeals to your taste.

I genuinely am always a loss to understand why offering people more options, that do not take away the options from others, is a problem for anyone to begin with.

I am very concerned longer term. What about the poor CC fashionistas ? they will have nothing to vent their anger about staff not implementing the code.

And if the suggestions to stop tipping and gratuities is approved by Miami - what then ?

Perhaps the board will have to revert to serious issues - eg is the water in the bathroom safe to clean one's teeth .[emoji12]

You can always start an argument about whether children belong on Celebrity ships. 2-3 posts then let the flame-o-grams fly. That's entertainment.

So this is what you are calling "chic"? This guy looks like he is about to go the farmer's market to buy a pumpkin and a stop at McDonalds, hardly worthy of the MDR on any night but on Chic night?

Which McDonalds do you frequent? The one on Rodeo Drive or 5th Avenue?

You can always start an argument about whether children belong on Celebrity ships. 2-3 posts then let the flame-o-grams fly. That's entertainment.

Or we can just wait for them to announce the end of traditional dining which will probably be the next thing to go.

Thank goodness.

Never did like "formal nights", and we always dressed more along the lines of what is now called "Evening Chic". DH is asking what are dress jeans, and my reply was "not the kind you wear". So guess we will be out shopping for dress jeans for him, as wearing a sports jacket and jeans kind of appeals to him...good.

Wonder if the other cruise lines will follow with their own version of "Evening Chic'. It's 2015 folks, not 1951!

Thank goodness.

Never did like "formal nights", and we always dressed more along the lines of what is now called "Evening Chic". DH is asking what are dress jeans, and my reply was "not the kind you wear". So guess we will be out shopping for dress jeans for him, as wearing a sports jacket and jeans kind of appeals to him...good.

Wonder if the other cruise lines will follow with their own version of "Evening Chic'. It's 2015 folks, not 1951!

According to Celebrity, it is "Designer Jeans", not dress jeans. Having said that, I guess all jeans are designed by a designer, so not much limitation there.