Celebrity Specials & Pricing

ReneeFLL

They are having a special where you can upgrade for free. Anyone notice that a lot of the ocean view rooms are priced the same as the veranda rooms. Free upgrade my :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :roll eyes:

Thought I would book one of them, but the ones that work with our schedule wouldn't really be a free upgrade. Guess I won't bother now.

Edited by ReneeFLL

"The upgrade isn't much, they will just upgrade you to the lowest veranda category 2D for the same price as ocean view"

What am I missing? Wouldn't a lowest class verandah generally be considered better than an ocean view?

The 2D will not be popular, as it will be forward, therefore have the maximum movement. When we booked our last cruise, we did look at 2D prices, but it didn't have any perks attached to it- no beverage package in our case.

"The upgrade isn't much, they will just upgrade you to the lowest veranda category 2D for the same price as ocean view"

What am i missing? Wouldn't a lowest class verandah generally be considered better than an ocean view?

Yes, that's correct. What I think they're saying is that they've raised the price of an oceanview cabin so it's the same as a Cat. 2D, so it's not much of a "deal".

They are having a special where you can upgrade for free. Anyone notice that a lot of the ocean view rooms are priced the same as the veranda rooms. Free upgrade my :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :roll eyes:

Thought I would book one of them, but the ones that work with our schedule wouldn't really be a free upgrade. Guess I won't bother now.

Cruise lines have been playing that scam for years. Sometimes the price for the lower category is so brazen that it's an insult to my intelligence.

Have you tracked the price? It's very common for Celebrity to "lower" their 2D verandah rate to that of the oceanview (usually a 2D guarantee). I booked a Med Cruise this past summer and the oceanview rate didn't change from what I had been tracking but the verdandah dropped by about $700. In addition I was assigned a decent 2C cabin and couldn't have been happier.

Maybe you don't like the wording (using upgrade instead of something that says verandah for same price) but in my experience the price of the verandah has dropped, it was not a case of the oceanview going up in price.

Yes, that's correct. What I think they're saying is that they've raised the price of an oceanview cabin so it's the same as a Cat. 2D, so it's not much of a "deal".

Or the balconies have dropped, either way I would take the balcony over the ocean view any day.:D

It's unbelievable what they do with the prices to make us think that we got a discount! :rolleyes:

Since the price of cabins are 'fluid' as it were, one can compare the brochure price to 'discounted' price to booked price to all the prices in-between, then we can better decide/determine if we are in fact getting a 'discount' or if in fact we got the deal we wanted when booking.

Easy short process, if it is critical, but I can only presume that most of us will check prices on occasion to insure we are buying 'competitive' at some point. When we purchased we were happy at that price so increase or decrease will not be upsetting, just missing the boat or the sail date not getting closer too quickly..

There are services which will monitor pricing automatically if doing it yourself is to time consuming, I use them, that way if there is a drop of at least 5%, I can decide if I want to take further action as far as the booking goes etc....

bon voyage

The problem with 2D esp in the Solstice class aside from being too forward is the obstructed views, you are basically at the level of the lifeboats' roof right in front of you.

I do notice lately that there is not much price difference between a Veranda and Oceanview in X. Sometimes equal, sometimes even Ocean View becoming more expensive than Veranda.

Compare it with RCCL and other cruise line, there is a big price difference between Oceanview and Balcony.

The only real upgrade deals that I have seen are the upgrades from concierge to Aqua. I never notice them spiking the price for the Concierge category and the price actually comes down on the Aqua. I just wish I liked the location of the Aqua rooms.

I booked a GTY verandah for a Scandinavia/Russia cruise out of Amsterdam next July and see they have not assigned a cabin as yet. I am hoping that all the 2D's get sold before I get my assignment. Is this wishful thinking, I can book a 2D outright and upgrade to a 2C but the GTY was several hundred dollars less than the cheapest balcony. How often should I be tracking the pricing? I did, however, get the go better promo with this plus an additional $ 100 OBC so probably not a bad deal all around, but am wanting an unobstructed cabin to enjoy the view from my balcony, especially as we sail through the canals.

The only real upgrade deals that I have seen are the upgrades from concierge to Aqua. I never notice them spiking the price for the Concierge category and the price actually comes down on the Aqua. I just wish I liked the location of the Aqua rooms.

I booked a GTY verandah for a Scandinavia/Russia cruise out of Amsterdam next July and see they have not assigned a cabin as yet. I am hoping that all the 2D's get sold before I get my assignment. Is this wishful thinking, I can book a 2D outright and upgrade to a 2C but the GTY was several hundred dollars less than the cheapest balcony. How often should I be tracking the pricing? I did, however, get the go better promo with this plus an additional $ 100 OBC so probably not a bad deal all around, but am wanting an unobstructed cabin to enjoy the view from my balcony, especially as we sail through the canals.

IMO, if you want a particular cabin or even a type of cabin, then book it as the guarantee may not get you there.

It is pot luck depending on the actions of other passengers as to what is selling or not and some of those who find themselves upgraded may not necessarily consider it an upgrade that they would like.

• 1 month later...
Does or can anyone direct me to the link for X Tuesday specials flier? I have searched the forum and cannot locate it.

Here is a link to it:

XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

The practice of pricing the oceanviews the same as the 2Ds is nothing new.

They do that to sell off the undesirable 2Ds. Then if they have oceanviews remaining, they can lower the price on those to sell them off as well.

So it is win-win for the cruise line.

Once the final payment date has passed, the people who would have booked an oceanview at a lower price, (if the lower price had been available at the time they booked), are already locked into a 2D at the higher price and are no longer eligible to downgrade to the oceanview at the lower price.

They do that with other categories too, such as when they price aqua class the same as (or sometimes even less than) concierge, or occasionally even a regular balcony.

They make it look like they are giving us an "upgrade" for the price of a lower category when they just want to unload cabins that are not selling well.

Here is a link to it:

XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

The practice of pricing the oceanviews the same as the 2Ds is nothing new.

They do that to sell off the undesirable 2Ds. Then if they have oceanviews remaining, they can lower the price on those to sell them off as well.

So it is win-win for the cruise line.

Once the final payment date has passed, the people who would have booked an oceanview at a lower price, (if the lower price had been available at the time they booked), are already locked into a 2D at the higher price and are no longer eligible to downgrade to the oceanview at the lower price.

They do that with other categories too, such as when they price aqua class the same as (or sometimes even less than) concierge, or occasionally even a regular balcony.

They make it look like they are giving us an "upgrade" for the price of a lower category when they just want to unload cabins that are not selling well.

Thanks ... I appreciate it.

bon voyage

Wow...I love the 2D and 2C cabins -- love being on deck 6 and many of these cabins have a lovely view. As a matter of fact, I had to book a 2B cabin as part of a group booking when I noticed that a primo 2D cabin came available. I couldn't remain part of the group even though I wanted to downgrade by cabin to a 2D....and would actually be charged way more and lose all my perks. I am staying in my 2B but just confused as to why they wouldn't provide me with my cabin of choice if it was selling for less. Oh well ... my point being ... some of us love the 2D cabins... well, at least 2 of us.

I booked a 2C for a Med. cruise a few years ago. A week or so later they had a sale with verandah gty same price as inside. I jumped on it, knowing I could get the 2D, but for a saving of $1300 I could live with it. We got a 2A. EM

Hi there...just have to say if you keep your eye on the prices...5 minutes every 3 or 4 days...you will know whether you are getting a deal or not...we booked a verandah last March for an Asian cruise in November...around July our prices dropped and we saved $700.00..now we did go from an assigned cabin to a guaranteed one, but our assigned cabin had an obstructed view, so we thought ok !

Paid the remainder of our trip and the prices fell again...called, and they upgraded us to concierge class, and gave us an onboard credit of $150.00 each!!! AND also finished up with a great cabin on the 7th floor midship!...so get to know your prices and you will know if it us worth the UPGRADE !...We did!