Excursion splurges

OldBoot

I'm considering an excursion splurge on an upcoming cruise. I'm wondering if other cruisers would be willing to share a story about a time when you chose to splurge big on an excursion? Was it amazing or did you regret it?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

In Mahogany Bay, we did a a/c bungalow - it was FABULOUS!!!!

In Civitavechia, we did a private excursion past Roman Aqueducts to Bomarzo Giardino di Mostri - arrived in the early AM when it was foggy and explored the gardens as Renaissance guests would have - an experience not to be missed for the world, Villa Lante - so spectacular and I am jealous of the fountain table overlooking the ocean - hard to explain except to say this is an absolute amazing garden and unlike anything I have ever seen before and Villa Farnese, the Heaven staircase, the frescos - we also had lunch at a restaurant frequented by only Italians - it was an amazing day and well worth the splurge - no one else had anything this incredible!!!! Worth every cent! (I believe $500) Would not trade that experience for the world!

Edited by SuiteTraveler

When you get on the ship, RUN and don't walk by the excursion desk!

If you are considering booking a ship sponsored excursion on line, don't book it!

Most if not all ship sponsored excursions are nothing more than overpriced cattle herds. You are usually boarded on a large bus with dozens of other passengers where you will spend a good chunk of your time with, "hurry up and wait."

Spend a little time doing some research in advance and save both your money and time on the day of your excursion. Go to the "Ports of Call" boards on these threads and do some reading or even post questions of your own. Over the years we have found several reputable private operators who will tailor a tour/excursion to your private needs. You will usually be in a car or small van and will be on your way while the ship sponsored excursion tour bus is still loading. You will get a better experience, save time, and money.

Now I am sure that someone is going to post that you will be in danger of missing the ship and that you could be stranded on private tour and that furthermore the ship will wait for the ship sponsored excursions, but not private tours. Plan in advance. We always plan to be back to the ship at least 60-90 minutes in advance which gives us a comfortable cushion as well as giving us time to browse the shops on or close to the pier. No reputable operator is going to risk the bad reviews by getting you back to the ship late.

We have used private tour operators dozens of times on over twenty cruises and have never experienced a problem.

As for splurging, go ahead and book something and enjoy it. When you are back home you won't be able to use the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" excuse!

We had done some amazing excursions.

The key is to do your homework.

Also, you don't always have to spend a lot of money.

You want to be sure that the venue or where you are visiting is something that will make your day so very special.

Keith

From Antigua we did A helicopter tour of the live Montserrat Volcano.

http://www.caribbeanhelicopters.com/new/376/tours/montserrat-volcano-tour/

This helicopter trip was amazing! As there are three of us we priced up having the helicopter to ourselves rather than two more people being in with us. They gave us a reasonable price but that then meant we could tailor our trip rather than just do the scheduled run. The pilot discussed where we could get to in the time allotted and we loved every minute.

On an Alaskan cruise tour we flew over the summit of Denali on a clear day. It was the most spectacular excursion we have ever taken. The plane was small (6 passengers if I remember correctly) and unpressurized (you had to wear an oxygen mask) and the pilot a little unnerving (it was the end of the climbing season on the mountain and he banked sharply over the upper base camp a couple of times to get the climbers to wave at us) but the scenery was breathtaking.

Very memorable (though some would consider them "expensive":

Kauai's NaPali Coast et al. by helicopter. (Take the longest tour you can afford).

Private Rome tour with driver plus licensed guide arranged by our hotel concierge. (Packaged this with same driver doing port/airport transfers [Mercedes AMG sedan!!!] and same guide doing Vatican. Overall, a bit "pricey" but actually less expensive than equivalent offerings from outfits like Rome In Cabs or The Roman Guy.

We've also done private tours with licensed guide/driver (one person) including transfers in places like Lisbon and are about to do the same in Santiago/Valparaiso.

Do the research and you'll find that private tours can have great value.

Best expensive splurge: I hired a private guide for just myself for a full-day tour in Israel of the places I most wanted to see. I am very interested in Roman history and with some research and help online I was able to find a guide who was an archaeologist and specialized in this particular area. It was an absolutely memorable day, and I had access to some places that are either not well known or not generally open to the public...

Best not-too-expensive splurge: On a tour that visited Tivoli (outside Rome) we had time for lunch on our own and some free time in the afternoon. I had heard about a wonderful restaurant perched up on one of the high parts of town and located right next to two Roman temples. We had a wonderful lunch there, outdoors under the arbor, in this gorgeous location (while most of the rest of the tour participants never got to this location):

DSC07700.JPG

Edited by cruisemom42

In Mahogany Bay, we did a a/c bungalow - it was FABULOUS!!!!

In Civitavechia, we did a private excursion past Roman Aqueducts to Bomarzo Giardino di Mostri - arrived in the early AM when it was foggy and explored the gardens as Renaissance guests would have - an experience not to be missed for the world, Villa Lante - so spectacular and I am jealous of the fountain table overlooking the ocean - hard to explain except to say this is an absolute amazing garden and unlike anything I have ever seen before and Villa Farnese, the Heaven staircase, the frescos - we also had lunch at a restaurant frequented by only Italians - it was an amazing day and well worth the splurge - no one else had anything this incredible!!!! Worth every cent! (I believe $500) Would not trade that experience for the world!

I am hearing fabulous, spectacular, amazing and incredible! What great memories. SuiteTraveler, thanks for sharing.

A day long trip to the WW II beaches in Normandy. Incredible trip. I think almost all of the guys on the bus were veterans so lots of stories swapped at lunch.

Aw, I love this. I'm so glad you chose to make that trip.

From Antigua we did A helicopter tour of the live Montserrat Volcano.

biker@sea, great handle. I love the Twain quote in your signature.

This helicopter trip was amazing! As there are three of us we priced up having the helicopter to ourselves rather than two more people being in with us. They gave us a reasonable price but that then meant we could tailor our trip rather than just do the scheduled run. The pilot discussed where we could get to in the time allotted and we loved every minute.

When you love every minute, it just doesn't get any better than that.

On an Alaskan cruise tour we flew over the summit of Denali on a clear day. It was the most spectacular excursion we have ever taken. The plane was small (6 passengers if I remember correctly) and unpressurized (you had to wear an oxygen mask) and the pilot a little unnerving (it was the end of the climbing season on the mountain and he banked sharply over the upper base camp a couple of times to get the climbers to wave at us) but the scenery was breathtaking.

We visited Denali national park, but no fly-over and no clear day for us. Wow, you had the luck of the gods. That excursion does sound uniquely memorable!

Very memorable (though some would consider them "expensive":

Kauai's NaPali Coast et al. by helicopter. (Take the longest tour you can afford).

Private Rome tour with driver plus licensed guide arranged by our hotel concierge. (Packaged this with same driver doing port/airport transfers [Mercedes AMG sedan!!!] and same guide doing Vatican. Overall, a bit "pricey" but actually less expensive than equivalent offerings from outfits like Rome In Cabs or The Roman Guy.

We've also done private tours with licensed guide/driver (one person) including transfers in places like Lisbon and are about to do the same in Santiago/Valparaiso.

Flatbush Flyer, those are some great excursions!

Best expensive splurge: I hired a private guide for just myself for a full-day tour in Israel of the places I most wanted to see. I am very interested in Roman history and with some research and help online I was able to find a guide who was an archaeologist and specialized in this particular area. It was an absolutely memorable day, and I had access to some places that are either not well known or not generally open to the public...

Best not-too-expensive splurge: On a tour that visited Tivoli (outside Rome) we had time for lunch on our own and some free time in the afternoon. I had heard about a wonderful restaurant perched up on one of the high parts of town and located right next to two Roman temples. We had a wonderful lunch there, outdoors under the arbor, in this gorgeous location (while most of the rest of the tour participants never got to this location)

A guide who was also an archaeologist?! That's perfection. I would love a guide who is also an architect one day. And love your categorizations. Now I want lunch in Tivoli. :)

All day trip from Buenos Aires to an Estancia (cattle ranch). Wonderful ship's trip!

Earlier on the same cruise, at Punta Arenas Chile, did the combination penguin colony + barbeque at a sheep ranch. Weather turned sour late in the day and we were glad THAT one was also a ship's tour. They pulled in the gangway onto our very tender!

This is not to say we always do ship excursions. We do about half and half -- it's just that the non-ship tours tend not to qualify as splurges as they are (usually) significantly cheaper.

At Livorno Italy, we booked a private tour with SPB -- wound up being the only 2 passengers in a mini-van. Driver offered an upsell from a self-purchased bistro lunch to a home-kitchen-prepared meal at a family-owned winery with wines selected for all four courses. This was a splurge esp. when we had a case of wine shipped home! On the other hand, EXCEPT for the wind order, we still came out under the cost of the comparable ship's tour. And that company has a policy of "If you miss the boat, we take you to the next port!"

I'm considering an excursion splurge on an upcoming cruise. I'm wondering if other cruisers would be willing to share a story about a time when you chose to splurge big on an excursion? Was it amazing or did you regret it?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Flight seeing in AK, with a landing in the shadow of Mt. McKinley. Well worth the cost. Landing on a glacier at that altitude and location is incredible.

5858036367_c48b90265c_b.jpg[/url]

5858122101_da47499261_b.jpg

Edited by zqvol

All day trip from Buenos Aires to an Estancia (cattle ranch). Wonderful ship's trip!

Earlier on the same cruise, at Punta Arenas Chile, did the combination penguin colony + barbeque at a sheep ranch. Weather turned sour late in the day and we were glad THAT one was also a ship's tour. They pulled in the gangway onto our very tender!

This is not to say we always do ship excursions. We do about half and half -- it's just that the non-ship tours tend not to qualify as splurges as they are (usually) significantly cheaper.

At Livorno Italy, we booked a private tour with SPB -- wound up being the only 2 passengers in a mini-van. Driver offered an upsell from a self-purchased bistro lunch to a home-kitchen-prepared meal at a family-owned winery with wines selected for all four courses. This was a splurge esp. when we had a case of wine shipped home! On the other hand, EXCEPT for the wind order, we still came out under the cost of the comparable ship's tour. And that company has a policy of "If you miss the boat, we take you to the next port!"

Omg, a home-cooked meal at a family-owned winery--that sounds wonderful. Great to have the guaranteed delivery to the ship too!

You must have been resting easy in Chile, knowing that you had no worries about re-boarding the ship in time. Whew! Close one.

Those photos! Obviously well worth it.

Just an FYI only 30% of the people who visit Denali get to see the mountain and we had 3 days just like that on that trip. IT is really unusual to get those views.

You must have been resting easy in Chile, knowing that you had no worries about re-boarding the ship in time. Whew! Close one.

The funny thing was -- we didn't know to "worry" or even be relieved because the weather at the sheep ranch was FINE. We got to the ferry across Otway Sound -- and it was all backed up because had had to stop crossing for some time, for high winds. At that point we started patting our backs for being on a ship-trip.

Then we got to the port and it was still blowing, sleety rain and choppy seas! With long lines bc of each tender taking more time to load and dock/line up with the ship. That tender ride was a thing to make memories!