Comparison: Princess vs. Celebrity

El Crucero

That sounds like the High Tea buffet served in the afternoon on Celebrity. Everything is very British. Both my wife and I love those snacks with a cup of tea. Will someone from England please adopt us?

Back on topic, Princess served the same kind of tea snacks at their afternoon High Tea. What we liked better on Princess it was a sit down served high tea rather than the buffet on Celebrity. Celebrity does have an invitation only sit down High Tea for their Elite and above members. My wife is really into that kind of thing.

I just remember getting back from a shore excursion around 3 (and missing lunch) and that was the only option outside of room service. Again, it was awhile ago but disappointing. It was at the buffet - I didn't realize they served High Tea at the buffet.

In your review you stated that the music for production shows was prerecorded for Princess and not for Celebrity, well, I hate to break it to you, but the music for the shows on Celebrity is also prerecorded. I performed professionally for many years and spoke with a few of the musicians on board the Celebrity Millennium this past summer. If you see musicians in the background of a production number, there's a good chance he's just faking it. I saw a bass player flipping through pages of sheet music while his bass line continued to play. The trumpet player was able to punch out a few notes while the horn was on his lap. Nobody really notices, because they are too busy watching the action up front. I believe that all cruise lines prerecord everything for the production shows, including vocals. Then, they are free to playback only the tracks they need for a particular performance. If the female vocal lead has throat problems, she can easily tell the sound tech to add her track to the mix.

Thank you for your excellent comparison. I almost always choose a cruise by itinerary and price, so I am not particularly loyal to any cruise line. Our upcoming cruises are on the Star Princess, Celebrity Infinity, Oasis of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, and HAL Volendam. However, I do like the Elite perks we get on Celebrity because of our Diamond status on Royal Caribbean.

Our first Celebrity cruise was on Constellation in 2009. I liked the ship, but I LOVED Silhouette and Solstice even more on subsequent cruises. I'm looking forward to sailing on the Infinity in September since its "Solsticization."

I've sailed on the Coral and Golden Princess in Alaska, and on the Crown and Emerald Princess in Europe. I personally think the interior of Princess ships are prettier than Celebrity ships. We will be on the Star Princess in February - after not sailing with Princess since May 2011.

I think main dining room food is pretty comparable on the mass market lines. However, I prefer the much larger buffet area on Celebrity ships vs. Princess ships. On the other hand, I often get lunch at the International Cafe on the Princess ships that have them - rather than from the buffet.

Celebrity's Solstice-class ships had the nicest standard bathrooms (with roomy showers) of the ships I've sailed. We usually book inside cabins, and they are larger on Celebrity. However, insides on Princess are very well laid out, and I like the configuration of the closet area and bathroom to make a semi-private dressing area.

I have no complaints about the entertainment on either cruise line. I generally skip shows featuring comedians, magicians, and jugglers, and stick with production shows and musical acts. As far as production shows go - I think Royal Caribbean's are the best.

Thanks for taking the time to provide this detailed comparison. I've always been curious about Celebrity and enjoyed reading your review.

Your reason for cruising caught my eye....that's the first time I've read that!

Our primary reason for cruising is to interact with young people from all over the world.

Another vote of thanks for your review and comparisons. We started our cruising career with RCCL and most recently have cruised Celebrity exclusively, also being Elite. We also live in So California, and are mourning the loss of Celebrity ships on this side of the US. So yes, we will more than likely switch to Princess for their West Coast itineraries, while trying to make our retirement $ last for as many cruises as we want.

We like them both.

We very much like both the Solstice class and the Millenium class Celebrity ships.

Over the past three years we have down 4 cruises on Celebrity. Our last cruise this past Feb. was on Sun Princess. It was fabulous. Best food ever. Prior to that we were on Star Princess. It was OK but certainly not our favourite.

We used to consider Princess, HAL, Celebrity, and RCI. Now, Princess and Celebrity are the ones at the top of list.

We find many similarities between these cruise lines.

Edited by iancal

Our last cruise this past Feb. was on Sun Princess. It was fabulous. Best food ever. Prior to that we were on Star Princess. It was OK but certainly not our favourite.

I miss the Sun Class ships. They were my favorite also!

Another vote of thanks for your review and comparisons. We started our cruising career with RCCL and most recently have cruised Celebrity exclusively, also being Elite. We also live in So California, and are mourning the loss of Celebrity ships on this side of the US. So yes, we will more than likely switch to Princess for their West Coast itineraries, while trying to make our retirement $ last for as many cruises as we want.

Right on! I guess you could say we are in the same...........BOAT :D

In your review you stated that the music for production shows was prerecorded for Princess and not for Celebrity, well, I hate to break it to you, but the music for the shows on Celebrity is also prerecorded.

We were on a B2B last April on Reflection. All the music was definitely live, mistakes and all, which I think adds "color" to the production.

The Star Princess didn't even bother to put a band on the stage, because they didn't have one on board.

Edited by El Crucero

The Star Princess didn't even bother to put a band on the stage, because they didn't have one on board.

Wow - every Princess ship (just about all the US based ones except the Star, Grand and Crown) we've been on has had a stage band that played in certain production shows, in the Atrium/Piazza, etc. We've even been entertained by assorted band members in the Adagio Lounge. We're on the Crown for a month next winter and I'll be disappointed if there is no stage band.

It was clearly stated by Princess that boarding was from 12:30 to 3:30 pm with departure at 4 pm. We arrived by private auto shortly after 12:30 and were in the first group to board.

You realize that is not the norm. You might have received the notice because of issues getting in late or Noro cleanup. We all receive some type of notice but it is more for crowd control. If the ship is ready they will start boarding before 12 noon. Just depends on the cruise and location.

It was clearly stated by Princess that boarding was from 12:30 to 3:30 pm with departure at 4 pm. We arrived by private auto shortly after 12:30 and were in the first group to board.

Princess almost always says boarding starts at 12:30. In practice it usually starts before then. I normally plan on showing up at the port around 11 and am usually on the ship between 11:30 and 12:00. Most of the time if you show up at 12:30 you are not the first group to board. I have seen Elite, 2-3 groups of Platinum and up to 8-9 groups of regular group numbers handed out by 12:30.

I agree, the Star is a decent ship, but in my opinion she does not equal any ship in the Celebrity fleet.

It is unfortunate that some posters have been disappointed in past cruise experiences. I have always found the staff aboard both Celebrity and Princess enthusiastic to accommodate our every wish. We always become very good friends with our stateroom staff and MDR staff. It does wonders for getting the best service. ;) And we tip extra to those folks at the end of our voyage on both lines to show our appreciation for good service.

I have seen passengers on both lines (specifically MDR table mates) who were grumpy from the beginning and treated the staff with disrespect. Nothing could please them. I AM NOT SAYING THIS ABOUT ANYONE ON THIS FORUM, since to my knowledge I haven't sailed with you. The only thing our cabin steward on Princess could not provide us is a corkscrew to open our bottle of wine. He apologized profusely and said that Princess policy required that only room service could open a bottle of wine and he gave us their number. Room service came within a few minutes and opened the bottle for us. No harm , no foul. I guess we are just easy to please.

They sell them in the gift shop. I bought one there a few years ago.

You realize that is not the norm. You might have received the notice because of issues getting in late or Noro cleanup. We all receive some type of notice but it is more for crowd control. If the ship is ready they will start boarding before 12 noon. Just depends on the cruise and location.

I don't know, the boarding times were listed on our reservations which we booked 8 months in advance. Maybe it is something specific to the LA/San Pedro Harbor? Anyway, I do not like sitting around waiting to board so arriving at 12:30 or 1:00 works fine for us. Next time I will try International Cafe or something else instead of the buffet for lunch. Maybe we will just eat lunch first off ship and then go straight to our stateroom balcony and enjoy our bottle of real champagne, which we bring aboard on our cruises!

Edited by El Crucero

I don't know, the boarding times were listed on our reservations which we booked 8 months in advance. Maybe it is something specific to the LA/San Pedro Harbor? Anyway, I do not like sitting around waiting to board so arriving at 12:30 or 1:00 works fine for us. Next time I will try International Cafe or something else instead of the buffet for lunch. Maybe we will just eat lunch first off ship and then go straight to our stateroom balcony and enjoy our bottle of real champagne, which we bring aboard on our cruises!

The fact that you can show up between 12:30 and 1:00 pm and be in the next group to go is not a surprise. Princess usually has the early arrivals on board by that time (that is why they put those times as the first time on the documentation). However, if you were able to show up then and get right on the ship you were clearly not in the first group to board, counter to your earlier statement. It might have been the first group called after you arrived, but I would expect that by that time you already had several hundred people on board. The first group would be elite, then platinum, then regular by group. If they had not started boarding earlier you would have several hundred people there, just in transfers from early flights at the airport, even if all of the locals and those staying over night stayed away. Since Princess usually assigns boarding numbers in groups of 50 that would mean several boarding groups already filled by that time.

Having done several cruises out of San Pedro, if boarding had been delayed until 12:30 you would have an entirely filled waiting area and normally 10-15 groups ahead of you waiting to board. The fact that you were able to walk on means that they had already cleared those early arrivals. This also fits with your saying that you had to wait for a line at the buffet. if you are in 5-10 groups you usually have no problem at the buffet. Once the early arrivals are on board it can be pretty crowded for the next hour or two.

Princess puts times in their documentation that are intended to enable people that show up at those times to pretty much walk on, if the embarkation process is on time.

Edited by RDC1

Thanks for this comprehensive review! Agree that Celebrity comes out ahead. One correction: Celebrity does have Happy Hour. Beers at 3.50 and wine at 4.50, 4-6 PM and 10 PM - midnight. Only at certain bars though. That was aboard the Equinox, last month. Maybe not on all ships, I do not know for sure.

Unless there are Noro issues and deep cleaning (from prior cruise) or the ship was late arriving etc these times are a suggestion. We always arrive around 10:30 and boarding starts around Noon. Its a well known fact here, and its not just at SP. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Interesting comparison. Thanks. As you can see below, we have only gone on one Celebrity ship, but another coming, as we thoroughly enjoyed our sail on the Celebrity Reflection. From our limited experience, here is what I can add to your fine review:

Celebrity stateroom: superior bathroom, but serious lack of storage in the rest compared to Princess. Nicer balcony. Excellent steward service on both.

MDR: Food and service very similar, but I did like the more open spacious feeling on the Celebrity MDR.

Buffet: Celebrity better than most Princess ships, but nowhere near as nice as on Royal and Regal Princess (best at sea, imo). Plus, beverage service to the table on Princess, get your own on Celebrity. Also there are daily changes on Princess, every day pretty much the same on Celebrity.

Loyalty program: FAR superior on Princess. While we are about to have enough to have a transfer from RCI, all we are getting is a robe in the room, which is standard on Princess.

Pizza on Princess is raved about, but I find it mediocre compared to most on land. Didn't try it on Celebrity.

Decor: Celebrity is very nice, and we really enjoyed the whimsical art work, but it - to me - is typical of a European hotel. Princess feels more like a ship at sea, which we like. That, of course, is personal preference.

Both lines have a lot to like, and we will certainly be cruising more on Celebrity in the future. But we still feel more "at home" on Princess.

(Maybe it is the fact that I am a "son of a sailor" and have owned and sailed my own sailboat, that I feel more at home with the traditional nautical decor.)

Interesting comparison. Thanks. As you can see below, we have only gone on one Celebrity ship, but another coming, as we thoroughly enjoyed our sail on the Celebrity Reflection. From our limited experience, here is what I can add to your fine review:

Celebrity stateroom: superior bathroom, but serious lack of storage in the rest compared to Princess. Nicer balcony. Excellent steward service on both.

MDR: Food and service very similar, but I did like the more open spacious feeling on the Celebrity MDR.

Buffet: Celebrity better than most Princess ships, but nowhere near as nice as on Royal and Regal Princess (best at sea, imo). Plus, beverage service to the table on Princess, get your own on Celebrity. Also there are daily changes on Princess, every day pretty much the same on Celebrity.

Loyalty program: FAR superior on Princess. While we are about to have enough to have a transfer from RCI, all we are getting is a robe in the room, which is standard on Princess.

Pizza on Princess is raved about, but I find it mediocre compared to most on land. Didn't try it on Celebrity.

Decor: Celebrity is very nice, and we really enjoyed the whimsical art work, but it - to me - is typical of a European hotel. Princess feels more like a ship at sea, which we like. That, of course, is personal preference.

Both lines have a lot to like, and we will certainly be cruising more on Celebrity in the future. But we still feel more "at home" on Princess.

(Maybe it is the fact that I am a "son of a sailor" and have owned and sailed my own sailboat, that I feel more at home with the traditional nautical decor.)

Excellent assessment of Celebrity and Princess! I have a different opinion of Princess' Pizza compare to Celebrity Deck 3 place. Princess wins hands down. Celebrity Deck 3 area is too small, contains too much such as Guest Relations, Shore Desk, Stairs into center and really very few places to sit. No comparison at all. Princess has done a fantastic job on the Regal and Royal Pizza.

Celebrity MDR is a 2 level room and very nosy. The new Suite Dining Room was placed on the left side of the MDR on Deck 3. Thus, anyone entering the MDR on Deck 3 must enter via the right hand side of the MDR. Once you enter, if your table is on the left hand side of the MDR, you must weave in and out between tables, passengers and waiters to get to your table. It is really a maze. Food on Celebrity has been reduced in selections, quality and quantity. We just got off the Eclipse in Nov. JMHO! We are Elite + on Celebrity so we have done many Celebrity cruises during the past 2 years.

Edited by Oxo

I've also found that the "adult-only" status is never enforced. Aboard various Celebrity ships there have been loud kids both in the solarium and/or the adult-only pool. :(

Been on 2- 14 day trips on the Eclipse(Caribbean)Never seen any unruly kids in the solarium. Maybe it's the time of year. We usually book trips from mid Jan.-early Feb.(before school breaks)

I didn't hate it but wasn't impressed. My medium rare steak or beef dish was served "well done" and when I pointed it out to the waiter, he didn't seem to care. No offer to go get another one. We had 3 in our room and getting 3 sets of towels was impossible. Getting a salad dressing not on the menu was not possible. The appetizers at the buffet were bizarre - I think there was a cracker, cucumber, tomato and slice of cheese stacked together with a tooth pick. Plus, everything was so much more - I had cruised Princess in December and then the Millennium in February - transfers were more expensive (yes, I did transfers back then), the same can of Coke, same drinks, the same tours, etc.... Instead of feeling nickel and dimed, I felt dollared to death.

Though I have to say their brochures were gorgeous.

It has been a long while and maybe I will give them another chance. Though, all main stream lines have declined so it will be interesting. I have heard the Solstice class is definitely in a class of it's own. My goal is to try some more river cruises and maybe try some more higher end lines. I would rather cruise less but have a better experience. And I see more land trips in my future.

We sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette January 2015 and we absolutely loved it. The English Breakfast (being Brits) was something we made a beeline for everyday, skipping lunch because we were so full of the fabulous bacon and mushrooms and other goodies. We did not tire of the buffet because there was so much choice. The main dining room was large but we had anytime seating and we always were seated within 5 minutes. There were many dressed in Tux and evening wear for formal nights, which was really nice. We traveled Concierge Class and the embarkation was a breeze, we were through and eating lunch in 40 minutes. Our balcony cabin was roomy, there were three of us and we had three soft robes and sets of towels, towel animals several times, turn down service too. The afternoon canapes were a bit silly, couple of olives and a bit of cheese or salami most of the time. The ship was just beautiful, elegant, immaculately maintained and sparkling clean. We could not fault the service. My suitcase wheel was broken off when it arrived in my cabin and they replaced the case with a better new one!

We have never traveled Princess before but leave in 17 days on the Grand to Mexican Riviera. We have an aft suite so we are looking forward to the large balcony and sitting room and Sabatini's for breakfast.

I am curious to see how the Grand compares.