Sea sick meds

eng4

I buy ginger root at any discount store. It is in a capsule form and the idea it use it proactively. I start taking a couple a day, a couple of days before the cruise. As a back up, I take a non-drowsy form of bonine or something similar, which I buy at the local drug store. Never had to use it though. But still take it, just in case.

I take a CVS version (in the blue box) chewable 1x per day and it doesn't make me sleepy. Per the CVS website, it's the CVS Motion Sickness Relief Raspberry Flavored Tablet. Works great for me.

Enjoy your trip!

I know how you feel. I get very sea sick and I still love yo cruise. Try taking Meclizine, from your Dr. Its cheaper than over counter stuff. Start taking it a few days at night before you leave. It will get your system accostumed to the drugs. Then the night before your cruise put on the patches. I get them from the dr also. if they make you drowsy. cut them in half. I have done this since our first cruise 7yrs ago. And our first one I found out the hard way on if i get sea sick. I was sick for 5 of a 7 day cruise. Worst feeling ever. If the seas get rough at night I take a pill also before bed, which is when i seem to feel it the most.

Good luck.

Meclizine is the generic form of Bonine and also of Dramamine II the non sleepy version.

You don't need a doc scrip for Meclazine !

It may still make some people sleepy but it is still less drowsy-making than the original Dramamine formula.

You cannot just easily switch from taking one of those pills to chewing on ginger as you can never tell how much ginger you need to feel OK.

In my Navy days I was the poor sap who would get sick sitting on the pier watching the ship bounce up and down. Luckily somehow I have never gotten seasick on a cruise ship. We sailed through Sandy and I was fine even then. Take this for the bs it is worth but I swear taking a swig of rum has kept me ok on smaller boats like catamarans and in rough seas because somehow the alcohol intoxication balanced out the inner ear sea sick dizzy issues.

What do you take/do to help with sea sickness? The past two cruises I took two Bonine everyday. It works great but makes me super tired. Maybe one a day would be better?

I swear by Bonine. 1 - 2 a day if it is really rough with no side effects at all.

Try one each day and see what that does, though keep in mind most of us are a lot more active and get a lot more tired while we are on the ship than we do at home.

Edited by zqvol

I have to make a few comments on Scopolamine patches. Too many people think because they are a patch rather than a pill that they are not really medicine. How many of you knew that are also used to treat Parkinson's disease, muscle spasms, and irritable bowel syndrome. It has also been prescribed "off label" for asthma, depression, as a smoking-cessation remedy, to relieve the nausea that accompanies chemotherapy and is used on many of my hospice patients to “dry” them up to decrease the likelihood of pneumonia.

My friend used one on our first cruise in 2011. She was dizzy and confused with blurred vision. She also realized she hadn’t peed in about 12 hours. Removed the patch and next day was fine. She didn’t know if she would get sea sick or not . This was a case of the cure being worse than the ailment.

Also, gentlemen, if you have any problems with your prostate, even just a slower flow than usual you really want to stay away from the patch.

I have to make a few comments on Scopolamine patches. Too many people think because they are a patch rather than a pill that they are not really medicine. How many of you knew that are also used to treat Parkinson's disease, muscle spasms, and irritable bowel syndrome. It has also been prescribed "off label" for asthma, depression, as a smoking-cessation remedy, to relieve the nausea that accompanies chemotherapy and is used on many of my hospice patients to “dry” them up to decrease the likelihood of pneumonia.

My friend used one on our first cruise in 2011. She was dizzy and confused with blurred vision. She also realized she hadn’t peed in about 12 hours. Removed the patch and next day was fine. She didn’t know if she would get sea sick or not . This was a case of the cure being worse than the ailment.

Also, gentlemen, if you have any problems with your prostate, even just a slower flow than usual you really want to stay away from the patch.

I think it's also not recommended to cut the patch in half to use it.

Scop is a potent medication! DW experienced hallucinations and progressively tunneling vision. Perhaps that is why it was used as a truth serum.

I do take Bonine.

Some take Dramamine. Similar Product.

Others take ginger tablets.

There is the patch that requires a prescription from your physician.

When it comes to Bonine I am not sure how many you take. We take one other than two over a 24 hour period.

Keith

I'm not usually bothered by seasickness but on one cruise with 12 hours of 55 mph winds and 30 foot seas I used sea bands and they worked well. I carry Dramamine but have never used it.

Edited by capriccio

I seem to be getting more and more travel sick these days (possible due to other meds I take). I have still been ill despite sea bands, ginger and prescription tablets.

We are leaving from Southampton on Sunday and visiting Copenhagen and Hamburg. At this time of year I reckon the potential for sickness is great (I was ill coming back from Amsterdam in July!) and have got some of the patches on prescription. I understand the risk of side effects but I really need to find a solution for this as travelling any other way is difficult for me!

For us waiting months to sail, and not chancing anything we always use prescription SCOP patch.

Yes it makes your mouth dry but we drink extra water.

Some have bright light or sun sensitivity, but we always wear our sunglasses when out.

Works for us----- 7 cruises later,

Note, it is making a come-back for those who have some surgical procedures to avoid post op nausea and vomiting.

Safe travels.

You really should talk to your family doctor as he knows you better than we do. He knows what medications, if any, you are taking.

So far neither of us have ever gotten sea sick -- and have been in some mighty rough weather and waters. Should we feel that we need such a medication, especially since DH takes many medications, we would ask our family doctor what he would recommend for us.