First time cruising in March what type of weather?

cruisinqt

We've done many cruises but never in March. Is it cooler on the islands? Will the ocean be colder? Or is this a rainy season or anything? We are doing a southern cruise to Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba, and Grand Turk. I'm not sure what to pack. I usually pack all summer clothes and sandals.

Grand Turk is in the Atlantic and not the Caribbean; weather usually the same as in South Florida, meaning March could be overcast and breezy, or already quite warm though not quite summer humidity level. Aruba and Curacao, being only 30-odd miles off the coast of South America, are in an arid zone of the Southern Caribbean: very hot and dry summers, a bit less so in March but the sun is very strong all year 'round. In March or even into April the seas to and from the Dominican Republic can be choppy; you may need a light windbreaker to be out on deck on the sea days.

Ā 

Hopefully you will find the milder weather a pleasant break from having cruised mid-summer--unless you enjoy only weather hot enough for shorts and sandals (or even hotter than that).

Our preferred time to cruise in that area. Hot, but not as humid or wet as mid summer and no hurricanes!

Ā 

Each time I have taken a light cardigan in case I needed it but rarely have. We also take a couple of those throw away plastic rain macs just in case...umbrella no good as with the odd shower will come a stiff breeze!

Ā 

You will have a great cruise!

Our preferred time to cruise in that area. Hot, but not as humid or wet as mid summer and no hurricanes!

Ā 

Each time I have taken a light cardigan in case I needed it but rarely have. We also take a couple of those throw away plastic rain macs just in case...umbrella no good as with the odd shower will come a stiff breeze!

Ā 

You will have a great cruise!

Ā 

Aruba and Curacao are below the Caribbean hurricane belt so that is not an issue any time of the year for those islands. (Along with Bonaire, Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada,Tobago, and a couple of other smaller islands)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We've done many cruises but never in March. Is it cooler on the islands? Will the ocean be colder? Or is this a rainy season or anything? We are doing a southern cruise to Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba, and Grand Turk. I'm not sure what to pack. I usually pack all summer clothes and sandals.

Ā 

Not to worry! You will be HOT at your ports of call! Pack your normal summer clothes! :D

Ā 

Ā 

Temperatures vary little in the islands. The March temps will be within a degree or two of the July temps. Rainy season is in the fall, though it is still very humid in March. You can expect to have a chance of rain every day. As far as temperatures pack like you usually do.

Ā 

As far as what to expect - no one thought that the tropical storm that developed yesterday in the Atlantic in January would develop. Mother nature does what she wants.

Edited by zqvol