Spring Break question on the Regal

happytovacation

We will be sailing on the Regal March 2017, do you think there will be spring breakers on the Western cruise? I have read of so many horror stories because of spring breakers I just hope they aren't going to impact a 7 day trip.

Any advise or suggestions on the above would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hopefully not. I know some folks who took their first (and last!) cruise during Spring Break. They cruised on Carnival and will never cruise again. They hated the experience. Spring Break in the Caribbean on Carnival... :eek:

I feel fortunate that our first cruise was a 10 day SF/AK cruise on Princess. We had a wonderful experience and became hooked. Hmmm... I guess I would have saved a whole lot of money in the long run if I had tried a Spring Break Caribbean cruise on Carnival first... :D

Yes, there will be spring breakers, you can be assured of that. How many, one cannot say. I was on a spring break cruise one year (on another line) with almost 1000 18-22 year olds.. it was a mess!!! There was a lot of damage done (I physically saw a kid throw a CHAIR over the balcony from his stateroom). The captain was beside himself.

It all depends on how well the week you are scheduled on the ship corresponds to spring break for the schools particularly in the area of Florida. Different secondary and universities have different spring break times. It is a hit or miss deal. Most are attracted to CCL however as it is more in the spring breakers line of interest. Princess tends to attract an older crowd.

I was on the CCL Magic the first of May last year. Now at that time one would assume the rugrats would be in school and not out cruising the Caribbean. One would assume that and I did. Well let me tell you how wrong I was on this. There were over 500 rugrats on the ship that week as announced by the CD. Don't these kids have to go to school? I guess not in Texas. Anyway it did not lessen my enjoyment of the cruise so it worked out as well as can be expected on a CCL ship.

I booked 10 day cruise on the Royal March 13, before I realized it was spring break

when I realized march was spring break month all over the country I cancelled the reservation

You probably would have been fine on a 10 day cruise since most schools/universities only have a week off.

Yes, you could run into college students, but probably not too many on Princess. I would think college students would prefer Carnival, RCI or NCL. The students also prefer the shorter cruises that cost less. Princess and other lines have these selections. Most college students don't have big bank accounts.

To reduce the possibility of running into spring breakers, I would select a 10 day cruise.

Probably no way to know how many "kids" will be on the particular cruise you are interested in.

Spring breaks are all different weeks every year. College vs primary/high school. West Coast vs. Midwest vs east coast,etc.

Most breaks are around Easter,1 week prior or after,but not all.

If you can book your cruise because you are concerned with this for another time,you should do so.If your plans are flexible that is.

Don't forget there are alot of home schooled children now days and schools on modified year round format.

Easter in 2017 is April 16th.

To the OP,you probably will encounter few spring breakers in March 2017,but ......

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

Last week of March is spring break for many public schools....I get to go on that one because I am a teacher. I have done Spring Break cruises on RC and Princess (1 RC and 3 Princess ) during Spring Break and yes there are kids but many less on Princess then RC.

We cruise spring break every year as that's the only time we can go. It's never been a big deal. There are probably more kids and college age adults on the ships, but I've never felt like there were that many. Maybe my perspective would be different if I normally did not sail during spring break.

We cruise the caribbean in March every year with Princess (7 day cruises) and have never had a problem with springbreakers or rowdiness. We're going on the Regal this March on an eastern caribbean cruise, so I can report back if you want.:)

Edited by pcsunlover

to: pcsunlover

Thank You that would be great if you could let me know about the spring breakers.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you! I will try to remember, but if I forget, feel free to remind me! Our cruise is the week of March 6, 2016. :)

I think you are safe with a 10 day cruise, and I think Princess might be safe from the Spring Break chaos too.

When I was in college we would have cruised with Carnival for Spring Break, but their age rules prevent that. I don't know what the age rules are for Princess to cruise without an adult in the room. Doing a spring break cruise this year out of Los Angeles, so I will post back if it's scattered with Spring breakers. There might be more families with their kids, but I'm not too worried about Spring Break. We have done the December Holiday cruise now twice and loved it.

We are also sailing during spring break on the Regal and I am excited. Most colleges have spring break the first or second week in March. It is rare they have spring break the last week in March. When we sailed on Princess during spring break before, we had the best time we ever had on a cruise. When we sailed before during this time period, we did not have any problems.

I went on a CA coastal for Easter week last year and there were 700 children on board. I didn't notice any young adult party people, but there may have been a few. I would expect that there would be a lot of kids in the weeks around Easter. The problem with these cruises is that the head count is so much higher than normal because the kids are in the cabins with there folks. There's often 4 in a cabin that normally has 2 people. The cruise has a limit on how many people can be on the ship, of course, but it's still more people than what is normal. Everything is crowded. For example, there weren't enough seats for everyone at muster. Shows filled up faster than normal, etc. Florida may have more young adult party people.

Added: I never heard so many cabin doors slam as on my Easter cruise. Sometimes it would happen several times in 15 minutes. Parents: Please teach your children how to close the doors quietly.

Edited by KruzPrincess

We always sail the same week in March on Princess... never a problem. Now we are (were) in our 20's and on spring break in grad school but never witness anything obnoxious on a Princess ship. However, we have done both Carnival ( to save some money the year we bought our house) and RCI (with a group of friends) and there was a little more "partying" going on but still not out of the ordinary.

Most college kids can't afford to cruise plus there are MUCH better spring break locations other than a cruise ship for the party crowds.

But really it's simple, if you think it will be a problem... don't sail in March.

Yes, there will be spring breakers, you can be assured of that. How many, one cannot say. I was on a spring break cruise one year (on another line) with almost 1000 18-22 year olds.. it was a mess!!! There was a lot of damage done (I physically saw a kid throw a CHAIR over the balcony from his stateroom). The captain was beside himself.

Was this a Princess cruise? I also am considering a March 2017 cruise in the Caribbean and would like to know what to anticipate with Princess during Spring Break. Thanks

If you want to avoid the younger generation do not cruise in March as a general rule. We have been on ships with spring break college kids and they were alright. I did see them get caught in the disco (another cruise line) where the older ones were buying drinks for the younger ones. Before the younger ones could take a sip, security in sport jackets and ties got them. So the ship security is watching at least on that ship.

I have seen the younger crowd playing on the elevator, sitting on the floor of the elevator etc. Pushing all the buttons is not all that big of a problem, the elevator just stops at every floor. The time they were sitting on the elevator floor, when I entered they stood up and rode with me probably sitting back down again when I left. I have also seen them sitting on the stairs near the teen club but again they moved to let me pass.

Several years ago we went the first week of December on a CCL cruise and was told by the CD there were 250 kids aboard. We was on another CCL ship the first week of May 2015 and was told there were over 500 kids aboard! Don't these kids go to school? So much for avoiding spring break. In both cases they kept the pizzeria busy as well as the grill.

So far we have not run into any problems with kids aboard. I am sure it does happen just that we have not seen it.

I don't think there is a limit anymore.

I think you are right. If there is enough life jackets, they don't limit them. We have not heard of any issues with ages not getting on like we used to.

There was a time when they did and there were not any problems back in the day.